Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM

106 posts, read 222,174 times

Advertisements

I am looking at apartments and I am curious as to whether or not Emerald Shores (located on W Indian School Rd) would be a good choice. I was also wondering is West Indian School Rd a safe area? These apartments are close to Maryvale which from what I heard isn't the best place in the world.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
just as a heads up, west indian school road is about 25 miles from central & indian school (central is "0" for east/west designation) ....... all up indian school is roughly 40 miles from the verrado development in buckeye to what I believe is reservation land north of mesa

These apartments are at 71st Ave and Indian School and they look OK and well maintained ... other than that I don't know enough about them ...... on the whole the neighborhood isn't the most desireable - it is pretty much maryvale and the complex is across from some single family homes that don't look all that great and squeezed inbetween a bowling alley and a self storage place ........ at 75th and thomas you have some commercial activity (LA Fitness, a small mall, other such shops, etc) - sometimes you hear of trouble flaring up - definitely leans hispanic in the neighborhood

Are you in the area? Do you have a chance to visit before committing?

I've had coworkers and friends live in apartments in not so great areas and be absolutely fine and the complex hasn't been a problem ....... it's some of the other stuff that annoyed them ..... if you can check out the apartment, but just as important walk the local grocery store, have a drink at the bar (if that's your thing), get a feel for where you'll be living, shoping, walking, etc and see if you feel comfortable with it

Any particular drive to be in that area? - decent access to I-10 and the 101 though

Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
just as a heads up, west indian school road is about 25 miles from central & indian school (central is "0" for east/west designation)...
Emerald Shores apartments (71st Ave & Indian School) is actually 8 miles from Central & Indian School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyoverther View Post
I am looking at apartments and I am curious as to whether or not Emerald Shores (located on W Indian School Rd) would be a good choice. I was also wondering is West Indian School Rd a safe area? These apartments are close to Maryvale which from what I heard isn't the best place in the world.....
It depends on what your comfortable with. It is a predominantly Hispanic area. Crime rates may be higher there than in some of the outlying suburbs, but I would still say that it is a relatively safe area.

Where will you be working, and what qualities do you require of an area?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
heh .... mea culpa ...... that should read west indian school road is about 25 miles from verrado to central & indian school ..... forgot to put the starting point in there

just threw that out there because it can be hard to contemplate how large the metro is ....... you could be working and living on west indian school road and have a long distance to travel ..... have seen it a few times where people think they are picking a place close to their work because they are working on a street and living on a street and never really thought to map it out

if you are coming from a dense area like some of the NE cities it can be a bit of a culture shock

Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM

16 posts, read 23,959 times
I wouldn't go west of 7th Ave., however, it might be decent much farther west, but it would be a horrible commute to Downtown.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM

The more I think about it living there probably wouldn't make much sense. What originally peaked my interest was the rent was quite low. I was also looking at Arcadia Villa Apartments over by the Camelback Corridor. I like that part of the city much better and It's in a safer area (at least i think so).

Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Emerald Shores apartments (71st Ave & Indian School) is actually 8 miles from Central & Indian School.

It depends on what your comfortable with. It is a predominantly Hispanic area. Crime rates may be higher there than in some of the outlying suburbs, but I would still say that it is a relatively safe area.

Where will you be working, and what qualities do you require of an area?
That ^^ is the #1 thing you need to consider/share right now.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
That ^^ is the #1 thing you need to consider/share right now.
That is true and I agree entirely. I have talked to people and also conducted research and from what I have gathered due to the fact that Phoenix is transient that it is basically next to impossible to get a job in Phoenix unless you are already living there. I have money saved up and am moving to Phoenix from the east coast. I can probably get by for six months and within that time frame hopefully find work.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
That is true and I agree entirely. I have talked to people and also conducted research and from what I have gathered due to the fact that Phoenix is transient that it is basically next to impossible to get a job in Phoenix unless you are already living there. I have money saved up and am moving to Phoenix from the east coast. I can probably get by for six months and within that time frame hopefully find work.
Then I'd stay as centrally located as you can, so you can avoid living on the west side only to find a job on the east side, until your lease is up and you can move closer to where you end up working.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,917,364 times
Quote:
In this economy that is true. Just a few years ago, employers were paying bonuses and covering relocation costs to entice people to move here and take their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area