Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,646,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Hungrybb View Post
Naw....it's a values issue or lack of values. Money has nothing to do with it.
if kids are raised by a poor single parent who has to work 2 jobs to get by I doubt the kids are sitting around thinking of values, when they see a system that is broke, an absent parent who doesn't care, or people who judge them unfairly they more often than not turn to gangs, or just crime in general to make some $$, or have someone they can spend time with or look to...however misguided that may be it happens all the time.
For the most part, money has everything to do with it.

On another note, I do realize there are people who abuse section 8. I think they should be kicked off it and let people in who are responsible and constructive citizens.
What to do? Call the police (not that they always help) but try, get reports, and then report them to section 8. If Section 8 has enough complaints and police reports those people causing all this crime and drama will get kicked off the program.
This is IF your sure it is the fault of these people you suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
But poverty does cause crime, it's a fact.
That never stopped Bernie Madoff.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,694,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

Yeah I try to stay out of there.....and hardcore rural Missouri with the exploding meth labs and all.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times
The topic of this thread is Section 8 Housing popping up all over the place(thinking about walking away). Please limit your comments to that subject as it applies to the Phoenix area, rather than sociological discussions of poverty and crime. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM

523 posts, read 938,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
I know how the poster feels. My home has lost 60 percent of its value. My neighborhood is unsafe.
There are 8,000 residents here and about 30 break ins a week now reported. There are gun shots , gang graffiti , ... I have had my bench stolen off my front porch. I have had a guy ring my doorbell at midnight with a gun in his hand. I called the cops. They did NOT catch him. He robbed someone before hitting my house.

I bought a huge guard dog, 140 pounds. I am always home, so have not been robbed as others when they are work. The neighbor across the street has a pile of trash full of human waste with about 50 bags out here now . The county will not do a thing. There are rats now thanks to him.

I want to walk. REAL BAD. But I cant . I have 4 dogs, three cats. Who with a decent place willtake them? I am clean, OCD clean,lol but it wont matter.
House next door is going into auction next month. Other house next door is a rental that has had tenants from hell that are gangbangers.

I wish I knew what to do. I have a kid and I do not feel safe at night. But where would I go?
I have family in other parts of the valley that have drug houses popping up left and rite.
The only safe places like Gilbert, I can not afford to rent. I think Arizona is just going down hill.
Crime wise it is now listed as the worst crime in the USA. I wish so bad I could leave the state all together.

Any way, I am stuck here. The good neighbors still here, we watch the area. We have each others phone numbers, facebook etc. We warn when things are not rite. We have dogs. we have guns.
Its all we can do. Somone jumped my fence last month and my 140 pound dog chased him on the roof! Good boy!
This is a problem we are facing throughout the Valley, especially in the Southwest Valley. The neighborhoods are going into blight due to the joblessness and economic conditions. Now with home values falling another 25% according to our MLS information, it is likely to get worse.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM

295 posts, read 553,190 times
The problems for this are exacerbated by the jobless crisis in the Phoenix area. Until this gets addressed, blight will continue to happen.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:30 PM

523 posts, read 938,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
The problems for this are exacerbated by the jobless crisis in the Phoenix area. Until this gets addressed, blight will continue to happen.
Correct. This is the biggest problem, our unemployment crisis and the social problems it brings with it.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
We are seeing a quick rise in rentals in our area as well. In fact, so fast that I just commented to someone that I feel like I moved into the nations largest apartment complex! One thing that can be done to counter the troublesome renters is holding the landlord responsible. An approach that is/was very effective in CA was using small claims court. Let's say a homeowner has a neighbor (renter) that is constantly causing problems like loud parties etc. Notify the landlord in writing about the nuisance asking that it be stopped. I'd notify him/her at least 3 times and document everything, pictures and video tells a great story.
On the last notification inform them that you'll be forced to take them to court for allowing this behavior in THEIR house and file a small claims action for the max. It works even better if all the "normal" neighbors do the same btw.
Not many landlords can withstand multiple $5-10k judgements against them. Remember, you have the RIGHT to enjoy your property without nuisance just as they have the right to rent to whomever they please.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:38 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We are seeing a quick rise in rentals in our area as well. In fact, so fast that I just commented to someone that I feel like I moved into the nations largest apartment complex! One thing that can be done to counter the troublesome renters is holding the landlord responsible. An approach that is/was very effective in CA was using small claims court. Let's say a homeowner has a neighbor (renter) that is constantly causing problems like loud parties etc. Notify the landlord in writing about the nuisance asking that it be stopped. I'd notify him/her at least 3 times and document everything, pictures and video tells a great story.
On the last notification inform them that you'll be forced to take them to court for allowing this behavior in THEIR house and file a small claims action for the max. It works even better if all the "normal" neighbors do the same btw.
Not many landlords can withstand multiple $5-10k judgements against them. Remember, you have the RIGHT to enjoy your property without nuisance just as they have the right to rent to whomever they please.
I think you would also want to get police reports for each incident.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:28 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,574,499 times
Section 8 was started in 1974.

My experience with section 8 was in California, not in Phoenix. But it really politicized me to be against any welfare at all back in 1978 - through the present. The type of people in my neighborhood when it became section 8 - well they were less civilzed than the organisms caged in at any metropolitan zoo.

I suspect section 8 has come to my apartment complex in Phoenix. My next door neighbor was a 20ish gal who was very sweet and removed posts from my door. She moved out about two months ago and I came home one evening to the mezmerizing melody of cRAP "music" vibrating through a common wall (this is in southeast Phoenix). I immediately sent a note to my apartment management and left a voicemail.

Well you know what? The management was great about it. They sent out flyers stating no tolerance for annoying noises that could disturb other neighbors. There was no time limitation. This means at any time of the day. Music, or what some garbage people call "music." I'd complain the same if it was one of those death-scream metalheads next door.

Well so far on my third visit back home from my work in another city, it's been peaceful.

So to the OP, be vigilant. The best thing to do is yes, pool together with your good neighbors, keep tabs on each other, good to have the 140 lb dog. Be an "In your face" guy to the gang bangers so that they get the message that they are not allowed to trash your neighborhood and turn it from civilization to savagery.

Last edited by Howard Roark; 12-25-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area