Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM

43 posts, read 114,315 times

Advertisements

Is any one on here using section 8. what are your feelings about it?
is it any different then anywhere els?

please no fighting about it. or making people feel bad about using it.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,875 times
I have never had Section 8 housing in Phoenix - but I have known people who have. I don't know specifically what you were wanting to know, but here are my general thoughts on Section 8 in Phoenix:

*It can take a looooooong time to be approved. My cousin applied and was on the wait list for a few years before she was actually approved. You should take that into consideration if you are thinking about applying today.

*If you are finally approved, you should know that you do not necessarily need to live in the projects. There are a lot of landlords who rent out single family homes and accept Section 8. If you can, I would try to find a Single Family Home, or I would at least try to avoid the larger housing projects, like Luke Krohn Houses (Duppa Villa Projects), Marcos de Niza Homes and Coffelt. None of those places are horrible to live in, but there are much better places, especially if you have children.

*This last comment is in no way an accusation, as I don't know you and I am in no way saying this applies to you - But please only apply for Section 8 if you really need it. There are a lot of people out there taking advantage of these Government resources just because they have figured out how to use the loopholes to their advantage. There are a lot of people who really need Section 8 and have to wait years to get it because of the mass quantities of people who are playing the system. Taxpayers pay for this, and I can go along with that if the person(s) whom we are supporting are truly disadvantaged and/or unable to sustain themselves for some legitimate reason.

You were not real specific as to what you wanted to know regarding Section 8 in Phoenix, I hope that was of some kind of help to you.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 PM

13,715 posts, read 7,987,762 times
With regards to Section 8 who puts down the deposit?

The government or the tenant?

As an owner unless the tenant has some of their own money invested I would say no.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
Landlords sell out to Section 8 everywhere for guaranteed income from the government. It was rampant in NY where I used to live and imagine it's that way in all 50 states. The government cuts a check for 80-90% of the rent and the tenant picks up the remaining 10-20%. It's great for the landlord but upsets neighborhoods. It devalues homes in an entire neighborhood and opens pandoras box once it is known one neighbor amongst other homeowners is renting out to a Section 8er.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 PM

13,715 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Can't see a lot of upside for the landlord. Yes, the rent gets paid but if tenants do not put down their own deposit why risk of having the property damaged by those with nothing to lose financially?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
With regards to Section 8 who puts down the deposit?

The government or the tenant?

As an owner unless the tenant has some of their own money invested I would say no.
Quote:
Can't see a lot of upside for the landlord. Yes, the rent gets paid but if tenants do not put down their own deposit why risk of having the property damaged by those with nothing to lose financially?
Excellent points, John.

Probably explains why so many landlords avoid Section 8's and why they are so unpopular here.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Excellent points, John.

Probably explains why so many landlords avoid Section 8's and why they are so unpopular here.
Section 8ers get handed a silver platter in Liberal Entitlement States like NY so I am very jaded with the abuse. Just the term Section 8 is revolting to me. It represents everything that is wrong with society. I have no issues with assistance with Section 8 if the person is deemed 100% physically disabled. However, seeing under 50 folks in good health playing the system is unacceptable.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Well. from what i have read. yes tenants are required to pay a deposit.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Section 8ers get handed a silver platter in Liberal Entitlement States like NY so I am very jaded with the abuse. Just the term Section 8 is revolting to me. It represents everything that is wrong with society. I have no issues with assistance with Section 8 if the person is deemed 100% physically disabled. However, seeing under 50 folks in good health playing the system is unacceptable.
what about a single mother. working 80 hr weeks at min wage? is it not fair for them to use the program?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM

im sorry. i was not looking for un educated replys....

but on a post i had read a long time ago "4 years or so" Was that in the housing crash, many homes for closed. and bought up cheap and used as section 8 housing. have you seen lots of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area