Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx07 View Post
what about a single mother. working 80 hr weeks at min wage? is it not fair for them to use the program?
What's minimum in AZ? Lets say $6/hr. If you work 80 hours/week, are you getting 40 hours of OT ? That would mean you hypothetically at $6/hr over 80 hrs/week get $600/week . That's $2400/mth before taxes. I give you a lot of credit for the effort but $2400/mth shouldn't allow Section 8 perks. I believe it should be designated for people who are 100% physically disabled (SSDI) or retirees on SSI. People of working age in good health should be in the workforce. No excuses. I have no issues with working people getting entitlements like Food Stamps. However, getting essentially free housing isn't acceptable to me. It's offensive to see a landlord in a $150000 home "sellout" and allow someone on welfare to live on contributing $200/mth while the government cuts a check each month for $1300 to the landlord. It devalues homes in a community. How do think a HOA community like Las Sendas or Red Mountain would react if homeowners started accepting Section 8 ?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 PM

43 posts, read 114,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
What's minimum in AZ? Lets say $6/hr. If you work 80 hours/week, are you getting 40 hours of OT ? That would mean you hypothetically at $6/hr over 80 hrs/week get $600/week . That's $2400/mth before taxes. I give you a lot of credit for the effort but $2400/mth shouldn't allow Section 8 perks. I believe it should be designated for people who are 100% physically disabled (SSDI) or retirees on SSI. People of working age in good health should be in the workforce. No excuses. I have no issues with working people getting entitlements like Food Stamps. However, getting essentially free housing isn't acceptable to me. It's offensive to see a landlord in a $150000 home "sellout" and allow someone on welfare to live on contributing $200/mth while the government cuts a check each month for $1300 to the landlord. It devalues homes in a community. How do think a HOA community like Las Sendas or Red Mountain would react if homeowners started accepting Section 8 ?
well i dont see many people offering 40 hr OT. at 80 hr i was implying 2jobs. sorry i didnt say that.
so a family of 3 gets about 600-800 dollar allowance per month. and still pays 30 to 40 % of the house hold income. add utility to that. car ins. and what not. it dont come out to be free for them... and i am not seeing how taking sec 8 will lower home values. unless 20 + % in the area takes it. and even then only if the families are mostly undesirables. HOA's are mostly for keep up and code enforcement. as long as they get paid and everything is in order, they dont care.

i dont think people that dont and wont work should get much if any. i think working to be self sufficient is the way to do things. and if you need help along the way. fine. but to live off of it tell you die is bs.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
well i dont see many people offering 40 hr OT. at 80 hr i was implying 2jobs. sorry i didnt say that.
so a family of 3 gets about 600-800 dollar allowance per month. and still pays 30 to 40 % of the house hold income. add utility to that. car ins. and what not. it dont come out to be free for them... and i am not seeing how taking sec 8 will lower home values. unless 20 + % in the area takes it. and even then only if the families are mostly undesirables. HOA's are mostly for keep up and code enforcement. as long as they get paid and everything is in order, they dont care.

i dont think people that dont and wont work should get much if any. i think working to be self sufficient is the way to do things. and if you need help along the way. fine. but to live off of it tell you die is bs.
There are apartment complexes/projects throughout the valley that are specifically designated for Section 8. I do not feel it's fair that some people who make marginal incomes get "concessions" such as $800 off rent and only have to pick up the tab for $200 to live in a house that others as myself would have to pay the full $1000 on each month. Again, I am sorry you are on a tight budget, but I do not feel it's fair you get concessions to live in a house I have to rent for full price on. I doubt you have to pay full price on utilities either if you are below the income requirements. The LIHEAP program is here to give you discounts on utilities too.

Benefits.gov - Arizona Utility Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM

so first of all im not looking for help or hand out. i was only posting to see what others point of view was. thank you! my wife and my self fair well for our family. not to say it has always been that way.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM

also what about the larger family. that cant fit in to an apartmen.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
also what about the larger family. that cant fit in to an apartmen.
Don't have umpteen children until one is financially able to support one or two. That's my answer on that.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM

what about a family with job lay offs? going from something to nothing?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
what about a family with job lay offs? going from something to nothing?
Swallow your pride and live in a modest cramped apartment or mobile home park that accepts Section 8. Since when should someone essentially get to live in a home above their financial means due to handouts from the Government ? That's not the American Way. I'd love to have a McMansion on the side of the McDowells but I don't make enough to live that lifestyle. Why should low income people get those perks when Average Joe's like me that pay for their assistance every paycheck can't ?

Last edited by magnum0417; 01-01-2013 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Swallow your pride and live in a modest cramped apartment or mobile home park that accepts Section 8. Since when should someone essentially get to live in a home above their financial means due to handouts from the Government ? That's not the American Way. I'd love to have a McMansion on the side of the McDowells but I don't make enough to live that lifestyle. Why should low income people get those perks when Average Joe's like me that pay for their assistance every paycheck can't ?

McMansion... i like that.

im sorry. but i cant just count out the families that really need the help. im not saying that people that use sec 8. and buy a 2000 dollar T.V or driving a 50,000 dollar should be on it.

and you also must fallow the laws when it comes to people per room. male female and age diff. if not you may put more stress and legal issues one your family and landlord.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
McMansion... i like that.

im sorry. but i cant just count out the families that really need the help. im not saying that people that use sec 8. and buy a 2000 dollar T.V or driving a 50,000 dollar should be on it.

and you also must fallow the laws when it comes to people per room. male female and age diff. if not you may put more stress and legal issues one your family and landlord.
People who are physically able to work need to reenter the workforce even if it's unskilled menial wages. The welfare trap which is what happens with Section 8 gives people NO INCENTIVE to reenter the workforce. A family on welfare getting handouts to live in a home worth $100000 with Section 8 SELDOMLY wants to improve their pride or life and are laughing all the way to the bank on OUR DIME.

I feel for families that need help after unexpected job loss. But again, they need to accept meager living conditions until they get back on their feet. I have pride and would rather live in a 5th wheel in the middle of the desert than accept Section 8 and feel like a lazy leach. Call me old school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area