Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:07 PM

36 posts, read 78,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
I'm with Juram on this. Don't spout the PC line that 'poverty causes crime.' If that were the case, sections of west virginian appalachia would be crime hot spots --- but they aren't. Big surprise.

The guy's lived in his neighborhood for years problem-free, and now with an influx of section 8'ers the crime rate increases. It's no surprise why to the realists out there.

Criminal behavior is caused by an entitlement mentality, fostered by generous public assistance which decreases respect for the private property of others.

The type of person who would see another poster's untended lawnmower and walk off with it for no other reason than that they could, and perhaps had a better-than-average chance of getting away sans punishment, isn't poor. He's a thief who hasn't worked for a living, has grown up with a different set of values than the rest of us, and who if called on the carpet about anti social behavior, would more likely than not see themselves as an unfairly accused victim...

Section 8 and mixed income living has destroyed more nice neighborhoods than it has improved poor ones. Sometimes if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. People forget that in this day and age.

Best of luck to OP
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:21 PM

7 posts, read 18,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
The section 8 spread has been happening in my neighborhood too. I think it has a lot to do with the joblessness throughout the Phoenix area.
It has to do with the Feds wanting to spread the poverty.
Section 8 is EVERYWHERE, interspersed within some of the most affluent areas of the country.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,195 times
Quote:
I'm with Juram on this. Don't spout the PC line that 'poverty causes crime.'

Section 8 and mixed income living has destroyed more nice neighborhoods than it has improved poor ones. Sometimes if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. People forget that in this day and age.
But poverty does cause crime, it's a fact. People who don't grow up in poverty with little food to eat or who have parents drunk or strung out on drugs do much better and usually do not turn to crime.
Now, I have seen both sides. Sure there are people who do take advantage of these programs, and I do think they should crack down on them. But how ya gonna blame everyone who is low income and receiving assistance on the actions of some?
And not everyone who grows up poor or in a dysfunctional family is doomed-if there are people who care enough to stand by them and help make a difference then that really does help a lot.
I am sorry the OP has to go through this...whoever the culprit may be, but to cut and run will probably make things worse. If I was you I would get a big dog or two and lock your stuff up tight when your not around. And be vigilint in your area, call the police when u see suspicious activity or start a neighborhood watch. There are other options for you. Sometimes its better to be proactive than reactive.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
Quote:
I'm with Juram on this. Don't spout the PC line that 'poverty causes crime.' If that were the case, sections of west virginian appalachia would be crime hot spots --- but they aren't. Big surprise.
Have Y'all ever been to Appalachia? It is a crime "hot spot".

(U) Drug-Related Crime - Appalachia High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Drug Market Analysis 2008 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,193 times
I know how the poster feels. My home has lost 60 percent of its value. My neighborhood is unsafe.
There are 8,000 residents here and about 30 break ins a week now reported. There are gun shots , gang graffiti , ... I have had my bench stolen off my front porch. I have had a guy ring my doorbell at midnight with a gun in his hand. I called the cops. They did NOT catch him. He robbed someone before hitting my house.

I bought a huge guard dog, 140 pounds. I am always home, so have not been robbed as others when they are work. The neighbor across the street has a pile of trash full of human waste with about 50 bags out here now . The county will not do a thing. There are rats now thanks to him.

I want to walk. REAL BAD. But I cant . I have 4 dogs, three cats. Who with a decent place willtake them? I am clean, OCD clean,lol but it wont matter.
House next door is going into auction next month. Other house next door is a rental that has had tenants from hell that are gangbangers.

I wish I knew what to do. I have a kid and I do not feel safe at night. But where would I go?
I have family in other parts of the valley that have drug houses popping up left and rite.
The only safe places like Gilbert, I can not afford to rent. I think Arizona is just going down hill.
Crime wise it is now listed as the worst crime in the USA. I wish so bad I could leave the state all together.

Any way, I am stuck here. The good neighbors still here, we watch the area. We have each others phone numbers, facebook etc. We warn when things are not rite. We have dogs. we have guns.
Its all we can do. Somone jumped my fence last month and my 140 pound dog chased him on the roof! Good boy!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,323 times
I was pleased with the way the City handled my two blight reports. At least one of them was owned by the Federal Government. They are still accountable (in these cases).

Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 PM

90 posts, read 150,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
But poverty does cause crime, it's a fact. .
Naw....it's a values issue or lack of values. Money has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
I've read far too many stories on this board and elsewhere about local politicians trying to infiltrate upscale neighborhoods with section 8 housing, which is beyond asinine.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
What is the consensus as to the relation of growing crime in suburban neighborhoods, and section 8 and legal or illegal Hispanic immigration into Phoenix?

Do most of these section 8 properties appear to be Hispanic oriented?

Do you attribute the theft and gang problems and trashed out houses to Hispanic population spreading into the suburbs?

Not trying to seem racist, but interested in the demographic changes of the region. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I don't really care about "the neighbors" or who may or may not be Section 8, my problem is that I don't simply feel safe in this neighborhood anymore. I've already seen two long-time neighbors head out due to the changes here, one of them after having their entire home get cleaned out, even their dog was taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Have you considered adding an alarm if you don't already have one, and making sure everyone knows your home is not an easy mark to get ripped off. You can be burglarized anywhere. The more the vandals know you have taken precautions, the less likely you are to get ripped off. Do you have sensor lights in your yard? Are valuables locked in a garage or shed instead of visibly in the yard?
Agreed. If I'm only 12K "underwater", I'd invest in an alarm before I'd walk away and ruin my credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area