Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 01:53 PM

979 posts, read 417,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think the hyper-obsession with every instance of crime is just making everyone much more aware.

There's a number of shooting instances in Center City every year going back forever, and this year is no different.

For those interested, I've found this Controller shooting crime map very informative about trends:
https://controller.phila.gov/philade...iolence/#/2020

Center City shootings in the sh*tshow of 2021 were essentially the same numerically as they were in 2015.
Except it's 2022, most people care about their safety, well-being and comfort level today, not five years ago.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:00 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Except it's 2022, most people care about their safety, well-being and comfort level today, not five years ago.
You've missed the point.

I was responding to the concern about crime rising specifically in/around Center City, which the numbers really don't bear that out. To the extent that people care about their safety, trends help them assess that--do they not?

Old 03-13-2022, 02:08 PM

840 posts, read 692,356 times
Have you seen South St, Christ almighty, if you ignore the issues at hand we will be complaining about the same issues for years. I give less than a rats a-s about politics (although the DA is horrible as is the chief).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I lived in Center City for the last decade and never saw "roving bands of thugs". Imagine living in South Philly! The horrors!

Another hilarious remark that makes you not a serious person. But just someone grinding an ax to try to prove a political point.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:33 PM

979 posts, read 417,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You've missed the point.

I was responding to the concern about crime rising specifically in/around Center City, which the numbers really don't bear that out. To the extent that people care about their safety, trends help them assess that--do they not?
They only care about what they see today.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Germantown:
https://6abc.com/germantown-shooting...ntal/11646673/
What kind of 17 year old bullies a 9 year old??

I've been teased by older siblings - my first instinct wasn't to shoot them.

If he's that trigger happy at 9, no telling how he'd fare at 19. Kid needs to be placed under psychiatric evaluation and placed in a group home and the parents need to face some type of punishment.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:58 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Regarding the 9-year old shooting incident, it's also been reported as accidental: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...lphia/3175088/

Obviously tragic either way, but I think there's some conflicting/confusing reporting going on. One of those cases where more time is needed to get a clearer picture.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:16 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
2021 was just last year. We're not even three months into 2022.

The point you missed: In 2015, no one was going on about how dangerous this city was. And crime in 2021 was as bad as it was in 2015.

Now, I will grant that crime fell from 2015 to 2018, so maybe people's expectations had been adjusted downward. And — as that chart upthread shows — maybe one reason for the different reaction was because crime was trending downward then but upward now.

IOW, trends do matter.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:41 PM

471 posts, read 272,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
To clarify on my post. I did not suggest Philadelphia was a second class city. I view Philadelphia as a premiere city, but it is leading the nation in homicide count and near the top for homicide rate.

And I'm not suggesting that violence does not happen in Manhattan, good parts of DC, Chicago, etc., but CC definitely has more occurrences of shootings and disturbing violent crime as of late... which goes back to my original point of acting right, a big ask these days.

Another personal irritant is that these incidents warrant little or no response from the DA or Police Commissioner...
80 people were shot in Downtown Chicago, 10 resulting in homicides in the first 10 months of 2021 - https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/10...er-river-north. That's far more than Center City last year.

I agree with later posters that we are now hyper-exposed to crime-related info. Citizen App is a big reason for this, people literally get alerts anytime a crime is reported (it gets lots of false data), and also check it constantly. I'm in the Washington Square West neighborhood facebook group, and a few times each week people post screenshots of random crimes I otherwise would've been entirely unaware of. A few years ago, pretty much all of us wouldn't have known about a random robbery, or whatever occurred. I'm not saying ignorance is always ideal, but it's easy to see how this could influence the perception that things are worse now.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:27 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
I don't really watch the news, but I was told something like 14 people were shot in Philly this past weekend.

And I haven't seen any posts about it. Here OR on the other "crime discussion" thread.

Are people just getting inured to it?
I admit that at the moment I just don't have anything left to say about it.
Right now anyway I'm stunned into silence.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:00 AM

1,026 posts, read 446,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't really watch the news, but I was told something like 14 people were shot in Philly this past weekend.

And I haven't seen any posts about it. Here OR on the other "crime discussion" thread.

Are people just getting inured to it?
I admit that at the moment I just don't have anything left to say about it.
Right now anyway I'm stunned into silence.
More like 14 people killed, including at least a few kids and among those killed was a 37-year old father and his 9-year old son. Pops was targeted; never a good idea to have your kid or anyone around you when they lookin' for your azz.

Not sure what the total # of shootings were over the holiday weekend but the homicide toll increased 15 over the weekend, most likely due to someone shot prior to the weekend who succumbed to their injuries. Total # of people shot was 30+ and many victims were in critical condition which means the homicide toll will tick up as some of these folks, sadly, will die.

There was a focus on the news that Philly had surpassed 200 homicides over the weekend, sometime Saturday I believe...but what a sh#t show weekend and not a good national message for Philly's image.

19-year old shot in a drive-by at 17/JFK last night around 11pm...15 shots, dude is in critical. Gun battle at 4th/South-Gaskill within the past couple of days; news clip sounded like it was a street battle out of the Ukraine. 3 teens shot last week in and among lots of people at Penns Landing.

Of course no one is going to want to mention this past weekend or crime generally in the Philly crime thread cuz if you do, you'll be accused of fear mongering, being a scared suburbanite, the citizens app is to blame, it's just gang-bangers, drug dealers, gentrification squeezing gang territory, or who cares about those people anyway.

How much of that $1.4 billion political payback $ known as The American Rescue Plan did Philly ***** away into those Violence Interrupters, other community activist groups, or perhaps that former Krasner official and local pol with the energy drink first name who did time for stealing $ from her charity to pay for, among other things, luxury cars with the news catch-phrase promoting ''has had 5 family members killed by gun violence''.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia