Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 02:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 975,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
...who cares about the police? Imagine if people didn't act like third world animals? ...
Well if you're counting on that, you're gonna be waiting around forever. People are nuts.

Old 02-17-2022, 02:38 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,125,225 times
Quote:
...who cares about the police? Imagine if people didn't act like third world animals? If anything, the PPA needs to step it up and stop the rampant double parking going on. Or better yet, just straight up block private vehicles from using chestnut and walnut!
A better/controversial alternative- tighter background checks or criminalize civilian gun ownership in general.

Homicides would drastically go down. If these thugs were to go on a stabbing sprees in broad daylight than perhaps those people deserved it. It's easy to shoot a gun.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:05 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
A better/controversial alternative- tighter background checks or criminalize civilian gun ownership in general.

Homicides would drastically go down. If these thugs were to go on a stabbing sprees in broad daylight than perhaps those people deserved it. It's easy to shoot a gun.

Well personally, I am all for gun control and think the second amendment was written when it took 5 minutes to get off 3 rounds. I think personal firearms should be available, but much harder to get. At least twice as costly and time consuming as a drivers license.

At the same time, traffic should be closed off on Chestnut and Walnut beyond a rapid bus route.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:06 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Quote:
...who cares about the police? Imagine if people didn't act like third world animals? If anything, the PPA needs to step it up and stop the rampant double parking going on. Or better yet, just straight up block private vehicles from using chestnut and walnut!
For real... This was embarrassing to read. Literally animals with easy access to guns.

https://6abc.com/center-city-shootin...rime/11574458/

Old 02-17-2022, 03:26 PM

463 posts, read 207,132 times
Quote:

Quote:
Well personally, I am all for gun control and think the second amendment was written when it took 5 minutes to get off 3 rounds. I think personal firearms should be available, but much harder to get. At least twice as costly and time consuming as a drivers license.

At the same time, traffic should be closed off on Chestnut and Walnut beyond a rapid bus route.
Sorry, but how are tighter gun control laws going to dramatically bring down homicides when most of the homicides happen with illegal guns? I'm all for high-quality gun control, and there is certainly work to do there, but the majority of shootings don't happen by the guy who went to Walmart to buy a gun to protect his family.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:05 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:

Unless the Second Amendment is repealed, criminalizing civilian gun ownership is a non-starter.

But as ilovephilly79 points out, a lot of these shootings involve guns obtained illegally. Cracking down on that channel would do more to cut the carnage.

thedirtypirate: Did you live here during the days of the Chestnut Street Transitway? That facility damn near killed what had been Philadelphia's principal shopping street. After 5, the street became a total no man's land peopled by random miscreants. Bringing mixed traffic back to that street brought it back to life.

Now for a personal report:

"Those kids! Those kids are out of control!"

So said the older black woman I ran into coming out of Chelten Market about a minute after gunshots rang out behind me on Chelten Avenue near Knox.

About 45 seconds before, I walked through a clump of young men who looked like they were in their early 20s making my way from the Wine & Spirits store to the supermarket. They were pretty boisterous.

About 20 seconds after that, gunshots rang out and everybody scattered for cover. I'm guessing the shots were fired across Chelten, for one of two missionaries who were at a table about 30 feet ahead of me got hit in his right hand but I heard nothing whizzing past me.

The woman was in the parking lot in front of the supermarket, between me and the missionaries.

Had the shots been fired on my side of the street, I might have become collateral damage myself.

I do think we need to find some other channel for these kids' excess energy and testosterone.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:03 PM

1,026 posts, read 448,998 times
Charge the parents when minors are in possession of or use a gun, whether it's in a robbery, shooting, or homicide.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:31 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Unless the Second Amendment is repealed, criminalizing civilian gun ownership is a non-starter.

But as ilovephilly79 points out, a lot of these shootings involve guns obtained illegally. Cracking down on that channel would do more to cut the carnage.
Sure, but guns don't grow on trees and surly aren't created 'illegal'. There are so many 'illegal' guns in circulation in the USA because of the sheer amount of total guns including the legally kept and stored ones. Limiting the overall number of guns would reduce overall gun violence. Look at literally every other first world country in the world.

Quote:
thedirtypirate: Did you live here during the days of the Chestnut Street Transitway? That facility damn near killed what had been Philadelphia's principal shopping street. After 5, the street became a total no man's land peopled by random miscreants. Bringing mixed traffic back to that street brought it back to life.
No, I am not old enough. However, was it really closing the street that made it decline or was it the fact that the employment base of the city was falling out of the bottom? Center city is far more residential now.

Quote:
Now for a personal report:

"Those kids! Those kids are out of control!"
So said the older black woman I ran into coming out of Chelten Market about a minute after gunshots rang out behind me on Chelten Avenue near Knox.

About 45 seconds before, I walked through a clump of young men who looked like they were in their early 20s making my way from the Wine & Spirits store to the supermarket. They were pretty boisterous.

About 20 seconds after that, gunshots rang out and everybody scattered for cover. I'm guessing the shots were fired across Chelten, for one of two missionaries who were at a table about 30 feet ahead of me got hit in his right hand but I heard nothing whizzing past me.

The woman was in the parking lot in front of the supermarket, between me and the missionaries.

Had the shots been fired on my side of the street, I might have become collateral damage myself.

I do think we need to find some other channel for these kids' excess energy and testosterone.
Social media, mixed with virtual school/pandemic has absolutely poisoned the soul of the younger Gen Z and older Gen Alpha imo. The 12 year old carjacking story is absolutely insane. How to children become poisoned so quickly?

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 02-17-2022 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-17-2022, 06:32 PM

32,952 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Charge the parents when minors are in possession of or use a gun, whether it's in a robbery, shooting, or homicide.
No. Kids and young adults do stupid things which their parents know nothing about unless they get caught.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:42 PM

463 posts, read 207,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No. Kids and young adults do stupid things which their parents know nothing about unless they get caught.
Parents know if they are being parents. A parent that is paying attention to their child and dedicated to raising their child knows when they are up to something that bad. Parents that provide a roof and food and loose direction, coupled with disinterest doesn't know. It's like the parents who can't believe their kid shot up the school. Sorry, but if you were really paying attention to your kid and had a connection to your kid, you would have known something was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia