Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 05:03 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

I was at the formal opening of 3601 Market. If this is anything like that, it will be quite a building, and it will be amenity-rich. (Rents commensurate with level of amenities provided.) These folks know what they're doing.

If they build all the projects they've either gotten the land for or are working on getting land for, Southern Land Company will have to change its name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 01:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
New large mural on the Sonesta Hotel (installation started today)

https://sonestahotels.files.wordpres...mock20up-2.jpg

Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown to Host Citywide Art Exhibition | Sonesta Hotels

Old 10-05-2015, 10:52 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I.LOVE.IT! (The mural).
I hope it is permanent?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
If they build an addition to the building, will they call it 3.1 University Place?

Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If they build an addition to the building, will they call it 3.1 University Place?

3s I believe

Old 10-07-2015, 02:58 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Toll Brothers pursuing condo project at Society Hill Playhouse

This project is back again.. any thoughts? Basically the neighbors are opposed to any proposal.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Toll Brothers pursuing condo project at Society Hill Playhouse

This project is back again.. any thoughts? Basically the neighbors are opposed to any proposal.
To be fair, it goes against zoning. So it's not just crotchety neighbors.
I am generally inclined not to take the side of for-profit developers (and Toll Brothers, no less) when it comes to ramming through zoning variances in Philly's best neighborhoods. And the fact that they are upholding that headhouse square development as an example of how "great" this new thing could be only strengthens my antipathy.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
To be fair, it goes against zoning. So it's not just crotchety neighbors.
I am generally inclined not to take the side of for-profit developers (and Toll Brothers, no less) when it comes to ramming through zoning variances in Philly's best neighborhoods. And the fact that they are upholding that headhouse square development as an example of how "great" this new thing could be only strengthens my antipathy.
I called up the Plan Philly story on my phone. The site's ad server plunked an add touting a new Toll Brothers development in Perkasie featuring "new homes priced from the $300s" in the middle of it.

They're pretty savvy, those guys at Toll Brothers.

I agree with your general dislike of spot zoning, for whatever reason. I wish, however, that we had used the opportunity of rewriting the zoning code to toss the Euclidean model aside completely in favor of newer, more flexible models such as form-based or performance zoning.

One reason why is because of the height fetish so many people here seem to have. Those of you who lament 410 at Society Hill should recall that a far superior mixed-use development had been proposed at that site, but the near neighbors (and the Society Hill Civic, based on their sentiments) shot it down because it was too tall.

I know and respect Brian Emmons, the head of Toll Brothers' City Living division. Some of you may have even read the interview I had with him on the old Philadelphia Real Estate Blog in which I asked why Toll doesn't build those stunning high-rises depicted on City Living brochures here.

Emmons was right then when he answered, in essence, "Because this isn't New York." But that doesn't mean we have no room for denser development, even in built-out neighborhoods like South Street and Wash West. Based on this article, my objections would be only two: Why take out the Society Hill Playhouse when there's an empty lot next door? And why isn't this mixed-use with street-floor commercial?

I'd like to see Toll Brothers stretch its wings in its home region and depart from the formula that has given us Naval Square, 2400 South and 410 at Society Hill. This sounds like a step in that direction. The path to realizing it should run through the ZBA, not the fourth floor of City Hall. But consider the fate of Stamper Square before lighting into developers too much for opting for the City Hall option.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:13 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I called up the Plan Philly story on my phone. The site's ad server plunked an add touting a new Toll Brothers development in Perkasie featuring "new homes priced from the $300s" in the middle of it.

They're pretty savvy, those guys at Toll Brothers.

I agree with your general dislike of spot zoning, for whatever reason. I wish, however, that we had used the opportunity of rewriting the zoning code to toss the Euclidean model aside completely in favor of newer, more flexible models such as form-based or performance zoning.

One reason why is because of the height fetish so many people here seem to have. Those of you who lament 410 at Society Hill should recall that a far superior mixed-use development had been proposed at that site, but the near neighbors (and the Society Hill Civic, based on their sentiments) shot it down because it was too tall.

I know and respect Brian Emmons, the head of Toll Brothers' City Living division. Some of you may have even read the interview I had with him on the old Philadelphia Real Estate Blog in which I asked why Toll doesn't build those stunning high-rises depicted on City Living brochures here.

Emmons was right then when he answered, in essence, "Because this isn't New York." But that doesn't mean we have no room for denser development, even in built-out neighborhoods like South Street and Wash West. Based on this article, my objections would be only two: Why take out the Society Hill Playhouse when there's an empty lot next door? And why isn't this mixed-use with street-floor commercial?

I'd like to see Toll Brothers stretch its wings in its home region and depart from the formula that has given us Naval Square, 2400 South and 410 at Society Hill. This sounds like a step in that direction. The path to realizing it should run through the ZBA, not the fourth floor of City Hall. But consider the fate of Stamper Square before lighting into developers too much for opting for the City Hall option.
I don't trust Toll's motivations nor their sensibilities, and I feel OK about lighting into them when their tactics include blackmail (hiring a consultant to find a "substantial" environmental concern on the site, which they will not fully disclose, but happily agree to fix only if they are allowed to buy the property on their terms and do whatever they want with it).
Stamper square is/was a different situation. This is not a chronically vacant lot we're talking about, and this is not Great Recession era real estate financing anymore.
All that developers want to build are condos right now, because that's where the quick & easy money is. It's not about what's good for the city. The only way you would see mixed use development is if developers were forced to do it by a zoning resolution.
I don't think that Philly right now, which is in a great position, needs to be tossing out city planning and bending over for developers yet again. That hasn't worked out well before, and doesn't need to happen now.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:39 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Update: Revised Renderings for 401 Race | Naked Philly

While we are on this topic, what do you all think of the revised 401 Race plan?? Design, plan etc.

If you remember a few years back there was a hotel planned for this site, but fell through for various reasons, that also did not win neighbors support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia