Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Anyone feel that the divine Lorraine being redone is a pivotal moment in the city's revival?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/09/re...life.html?_r=0

Divine Lorraine Groundbreaking Ceremony Set for Wednesday - Property

Amazing building. The architecture around that area is fascinating. Jimmy G's is also pretty good. I honestly worry a little bit about over building and after Wednesday's ribbon cutting, I sort of want to see Philly's residential construction slow a bit. Let the projects that have already been announced or broke ground, finish. I mainly mean in north philly and that area though. Keep the skyscrapers coming in other parts of the city.
After NO building, or rarely any residential building for YEARS, you're worried about over-building in that area?!

I live nearby. There's already been an infusion of new residents that have faith in area that didn't exist as little as a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Anyone feel that the divine Lorraine being redone is a pivotal moment in the city's revival?

Amazing building. The architecture around that area is fascinating. Jimmy G's is also pretty good. I honestly worry a little bit about over building and after Wednesday's ribbon cutting, I sort of want to see Philly's residential construction slow a bit. Let the projects that have already been announced or broke ground, finish. I mainly mean in north philly and that area though. Keep the skyscrapers coming in other parts of the city.
I think the new Divine Lorraine will be done before Blatstein gets around to completing the State Building project(if that ever happens) and whatever he does with the Inquirer Bldg.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
After NO building, or rarely any residential building for YEARS, you're worried about over-building in that area?!

I live nearby. There's already been an infusion of new residents that have faith in area that didn't exist as little as a couple of years ago.
Tons and tons of construction has taken place all over the place and more is on the way. Obviously that area around Broad needs a ton of work, but there are already major plans in place to build hundreds of units. That is a few thousand new residents already without announcing any new places. Everything in moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I think the new Divine Lorraine will be done before Blatstein gets around to completing the State Building project(if that ever happens) and whatever he does with the Inquirer Bldg.
Yep, which is a shame. Who knows, maybe a different set of real estate players will move into town and buy these properties and do them justice. Actually imagining all the big buildings of north broad redone is mind boggling. Once the Divine Lorraine is done, in my opinion, the true final piece of Philadelphia's rebirth would be to redo the Opera house. Before that happens though someone needs to go blow up the Hotel Carlyle or at least turn it back into a lounge.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Tons and tons of construction has taken place all over the place and more is on the way. Obviously that area around Broad needs a ton of work, but there are already major plans in place to build hundreds of units. That is a few thousand new residents already without announcing any new places. Everything in moderation.

Yep, which is a shame. Who knows, maybe a different set of real estate players will move into town and buy these properties and do them justice. Actually imagining all the big buildings of north broad redone is mind boggling. Once the Divine Lorraine is done, in my opinion, the true final piece of Philadelphia's rebirth would be to redo the Opera house. Before that happens though someone needs to go blow up the Hotel Carlyle or at least turn it back into a lounge.
Doesn't Blumenthal have control of the Met/Opera house? I have to re-check that.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,406 times
Quote:

In my opinion, North Broad from Vine to the area around Temple is really set to flourish in the upcoming years. The DL restoration, along with 1300 Fairmount, is a HUGE piece to that puzzle. I have a feeling that the PHA Sharswood revitalization will help as well. I can see Ridge Avenue taking off if the redevelopment goes well. One major thing that I would like to see along North Broad is TOD. Broad and Girard automatically comes to mind as the perfect spot for some high-density TOD. Not only would that spot offer impressive views of the skyline, but it would also be at the nexus of the BSL and 15 trolley. Girard is also a stop for all trains, so residents would have access to express trains to Walnut-Locust, as well as Chinatown and 8th and Market.

The entire area north of the Vine Street Expressway is looking up. There are currently 4 tower cranes up in this area (1 for 1601 Vine, 2 for Dalian on the Park, and 1 for Museum Towers II). In my opinion, the Mormons are conducting some of the most exciting development in the entire city! The new Mormon Temple looks grand, and 1601 Vine will be amazing once completed. On top of that, there is true organic development going on.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
In my opinion, North Broad from Vine to the area around Temple is really set to flourish in the upcoming years. The DL restoration, along with 1300 Fairmount, is a HUGE piece to that puzzle. I have a feeling that the PHA Sharswood revitalization will help as well. I can see Ridge Avenue taking off if the redevelopment goes well. One major thing that I would like to see along North Broad is TOD. Broad and Girard automatically comes to mind as the perfect spot for some high-density TOD. Not only would that spot offer impressive views of the skyline, but it would also be at the nexus of the BSL and 15 trolley. Girard is also a stop for all trains, so residents would have access to express trains to Walnut-Locust, as well as Chinatown and 8th and Market.

The entire area north of the Vine Street Expressway is looking up. There are currently 4 tower cranes up in this area (1 for 1601 Vine, 2 for Dalian on the Park, and 1 for Museum Towers II). In my opinion, the Mormons are conducting some of the most exciting development in the entire city! The new Mormon Temple looks grand, and 1601 Vine will be amazing once completed. On top of that, there is true organic development going on.
You forgot about our "high line"/Reading Viaduct project which will jump start the Callowhill area.
I'm torn about the Mormon project. I like having the development after so many years of neglect. However I don't particularly like the people behind that development.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Science Center campus gets a new name: uCity Square

Science Center campus gets a new name: uCity Square

Old 09-16-2015, 08:50 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Those are some sexy renderings. I have more hope for this project over many others because Drexel, Penn and Wexford know how to get things done.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:56 AM

Thanks! I was just going to mention this.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,406 times
I just received an email from the 30th Street Station District Plan. Apparently (and pretty much obviously), CBD 2 and Schuylkill Crossing are the preferred options.

"The results are in!
More than 200 people attended the District Plan open house on June 17th at 30th Street Station to learn about and provide feedback on three preliminary concepts for the 30th Street Station District in the year 2040. The concepts are divided into three themes: "Central Business District 2, a dynamic new central business district, "Schuylkill Crossing," a new urban neighborhood; and "Innovation City," an R&D campus. The goal of the open house was to receive input on the design elements that resonate and the elements that need more work.

Nearly 1,400 comments were received at the open house and from an online survey that was posted on the District Plan website. The comments revealed that many components of the Central Business District 2 and Schuylkill Crossing concepts received the most favorable responses. This information will now be used by the Project Team to shape the development of a single, unified vision for the District."

The full report can be accessed here:
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati..._SmallFile.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia