Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea 27 12.16%
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track 105 47.30%
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind 37 16.67%
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry 28 12.61%
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok 8 3.60%
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place 17 7.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,726,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
NOW can you see where owning your home with a paid-off mortgage is a retirement tool for low earners?
Nope. Still just a home to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is saying if you can not afford at least the quart forget about the gallon. you think magically if you had a house you will be financially oky and thats poor logic.

you get the house when you are already financially okay. many of those foreclosures out there are because of the thinking you have.

By my calculations, not being able to buy means paying more and getting less housing than someone who can and does buy.

How does that make sense and can you see why I might object to it?

Also, at a number of times I have paid more than half my income on rent, with 73% the max. By what rational standard am I unable to afford a house payment 35% of my income?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nope. Still just a home to me.

So you think it makes more sense to pay half your income on rent in old age than to live for close to nothing in a paid-off home?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM

987 posts, read 1,387,348 times
Quote:
Owning your home is a crucial retirement tool for millions of low income Americans; for many it makes the difference between being able to enjoy a modest retirement lifestyle and never being able to retire.
Half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on shelter; these are people who can't afford to retire.
NOW can you see where owning your home with a paid-off mortgage is a retirement tool for low earners?
Well, just think how we feel today after moving overseas with a low cost of living at an American modern lifestyle, our home here is paid off and we only spend 40% of my retirement pension, while 60% is all extra cash which goes into our nest egg for unexpected emergencies and or other contingencies!
Life is good when a plan comes together or when it just falls into place on it's own at the right time!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM

106,771 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Quote:
By my calculations, not being able to buy means paying more and getting less housing than someone who can and does buy.

How does that make sense and can you see why I might object to it?

Also, at a number of times I have paid more than half my income on rent, with 73% the max. By what rational standard am I unable to afford a house payment 35% of my income?
we told you you cant. i think we had enough of tales of poor freemkt. its your predicament, your life and you have to either solve your money issues or crash and burn. it makes no sense to talk about homeownership on your burger flipper income.

there are those making more then you that can not afford to buy a home so why should some tax payer sponsered program buy you one?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we told you you cant. i think we had enough of tales of poor freemkt. its your predicament, your life and you have to either solve your money issues or crash and burn. it makes no sense to talk about homeownership on your burger flipper income.

there are those making more then you that can not afford to buy a home so why should some tax payer sponsered program buy you one?

No need for taxpayer sponsored program, just let the private sector build and sell microproperties. The guest house I tried to buy would have cost $40,000 - do you think I can't afford a $40K house?

But I don't see how I can afford 50% or 73% of my income for rent but not 35% for a mortgage payment?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:33 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,904,297 times
If you are in good health and are passionate about your career why would you retire, ever? I do not see the point, other than to waste away your final years(decades) being bored and unfulfilled. I will retire when I am too sick (or senile) to work.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
No need for taxpayer sponsored program, just let the private sector build and sell microproperties. The guest house I tried to buy would have cost $40,000 - do you think I can't afford a $40K house?

But I don't see how I can afford 50% or 73% of my income for rent but not 35% for a mortgage payment?
but why should you even get that opportunity to buy a house below fair market price ? because you failed financially.

NOT!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
If you are in good health and are passionate about your career why would you retire, ever? I do not see the point, other than to waste away your final years(decades) being bored and unfulfilled. I will retire when I am too sick (or senile) to work.
let us know how that works out for ya.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
So you think it makes more sense to pay half your income on rent in old age than to live for close to nothing in a paid-off home?
It doesn't make sense for anyone to pay half their income on housing.
Silly that you think it might.

BTW - are you a homeowner with a paid-off mortgage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance