Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea 27 12.16%
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track 105 47.30%
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind 37 16.67%
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry 28 12.61%
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok 8 3.60%
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place 17 7.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM

106,938 posts, read 109,196,656 times

Advertisements

He is lucky if he owned a refrigerator carton.

Long island has a forced affordable housing programs.

When a builder puts up a development the town makes them build a certain amount of homes that go into a lottery system run by the towns.

The homes go for a fraction of their price and if you qualify you go into the lottery.

The builders just add the costs on to the other homes to cover the reduced prices and everyone else not only gets to pay over 500k for a home but they get to have a neighbor they subsidize that should not even be in a development of that caliber.

Its a damn shame the towns do this to those who work hard and strive to be financially succesful.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-11-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,510,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
If you are in good health and are passionate about your career why would you retire, ever? I do not see the point, other than to waste away your final years(decades) being bored and unfulfilled. I will retire when I am too sick (or senile) to work.

I've never even heard of anyone who is passionate about flipping burgers.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM

987 posts, read 1,388,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It doesn't make sense for anyone to pay half their income on housing.
Silly that you think it might.
BTW - are you a homeowner with a paid-off mortgage?
We do even though we weren't who you were asking that question!
It's a great feeling and extra cash back in our pockets! Can anyone say that
when one is renting instead of living in a home without a mortgage?
Just curious! What are the ages of members posting here on this topic?
I already mentioned mine in my previous post! It will give us a perspective
why these types of comments are being posted, because something just doesn't
sound right!

Last edited by Art2ro; 12-11-2012 at 04:52 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but why should you even get that opportunity to buy a house below fair market price ? because you failed financially.

NOT!

??? Where did you get the idea it was below fair market value? That is the price on which the owners and I agreed.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM

What owner??

No one with reasonable smarts would enter into a deal like that.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It doesn't make sense for anyone to pay half their income on housing.
Silly that you think it might.

BTW - are you a homeowner with a paid-off mortgage?

According to Mortgage News Daily, half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on shelter. These people are not doing it because they like it, they are doing it because they do not have any better options. I can look ahead into the future and I know that I am on track to receive just enough Socuakl Security to be slightly over the poverty line - and renting a room would consume close to half of that income.

And no I am not a homeowner, nor do I have a paid-off mortgage.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
What owner??

No one with reasonable smarts would enter into a deal like that.

For several years I rented a tiny guest house; the owners lived on the property in a single-family house. The owners planned to move and put the property up for sale, asking $120K. I offered $40K for the guest house and 2,500 sf land.

The owners accepted but were unable to split the lot because the 2,500 parcel did not meet the minimum lot size standard. But $40K was the price upon which we agreed (from which one could infer that the single-family house plus the remaining 7,500 sf land were worth $80K), and I think it would be difficult to argue that $40K was an unreasonable value for it.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Like i said,it aint happening. I can tell you this the last person i would rent to is someone surviving hand to mouth.

Selling a piece of a property to someone living hand to mouth and the headaches that can go with it would be idiotic at best.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Like i said,it aint happening. I can tell you this the last person i would rent to is someone surviving hand to mouth.

Selling a piece of a property to someone living hand to mouth and the headaches that can go with it would be idiotic at best.

My rent is always on time so at least my landlord is happy.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
If you are in good health and are passionate about your career why would you retire, ever? I do not see the point, other than to waste away your final years(decades) being bored and unfulfilled. I will retire when I am too sick (or senile) to work.
I think it is great you are passionate about your career. Not everyone can maintain that level of passion over a 40 or 50 year span though. Not everyone has the health to work well past 65 either. And some folks will be discarded by their chosen employer and not get to make that choice at all! I think self employed people are more inclined to relish their "careers".

I work with a couple guys who (early) retired from their previous companies with pension buyouts and are 15 years into this companies employ. Both around 70, they have good health and plenty of money. But, I cannot help wondering why they find coming here more rewarding than any other activity of their choosing. Both spend more than their share of time complaining.

Last edited by shaker281; 12-11-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance