Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM

681 posts, read 619,540 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently working in my job making 40k a year. I have been out of college for several years now and I am kinda down on what is happening. I recently got health problems where I have not one but two slipped discs in my back. On top of that, my student loans came due, and i am currently paying them 500 a month. Luckily I live with a coworker who doesn't charge me a lot in rent, but I know that I cannot live here forever. At this point, and I know this may sound stupid, but I really just don't know what to do anymore..I am trying to get certified to teach (this is my last year to do so) and I have a ps3 that I bought last year before all of this stuff happened.

I guess I have two questions, 1. should I pawn my ps3 and all my games so that way I can have the money in case I need to go back to the doctor or should I just save the money from my check? I didn't have one at first last year and I was very bored and I can only do netfliks and the internet for so long at the house. It honestly sucks. I have maybe too much time on my hands, but it's hard to find a second job that will let me sit down and I am usually exhausted because of the pain. 2.I also want to date and I honestly feel like I cannot afford it. I feel like a woman is going to look at my situation and go uh huh, nope not this guy. After all i have back problems and now money problems. All I know is that the back problems are exacerbating my situation and it really sucks. I can no longer just work any old job, it has to be a job where I can sit down since I can't stand for long periods of time. I guess I feel like half of a man. Should I just go ahead and pawn my ps3 and get rid of my stuff? Is dating even an option for me? Apparently both of these situations(the back problems and student loans) are issues that will be around for quite a while. What would you do in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,139,139 times
I feel your pain (Well actually mine, I also have 2 buldged discs in my back)

JMHO:
DO a budget, write down what you spend, EVERY DIME... you will find things to cut.

Keep the PS3, you need SOMETHING to keep your sanity, and yo uwon't get much for it.

Making $40K/year... you should be doing OK, I believe your issue is outgo, not income.,

Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I feel your pain (Well actually mine, I also have 2 buldged discs in my back)

JMHO:
DO a budget, write down what you spend, EVERY DIME... you will find things to cut.

Keep the PS3, you need SOMETHING to keep your sanity, and yo uwon't get much for it.

Making $40K/year... you should be doing OK, I believe your issue is outgo, not income.,
Hello, uh, well you don't have a name!

Anyways, man I feel your pain, how do you live with this? It's been so bad, sometimes I just want God to come and take me now, I mean it gets bad. I had one steroid shot already and I need another one. I guess the things that I need to cut are eating and going out. Those would be things that I could cut. I was just thinking because right now my home situation is not the best and if it wasn't for my friend I would probably be out on the street. 40k is ok, but after all my deductions which is about 1100 I think, I am not left with much. Well I will think about it, it does help though and keeps me sane. My family has degeneritive back disease and unfortunately, I got it early.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,685 posts, read 81,455,155 times
I agree, the PS3 is not worth enough to help much and it can help you get through this with some sanity. As for dating, unless you happen to find a woman that doesn't care about money, you have to put that and other costly endeavors on hold until you can get back on your feet. Does your employer allow selling back vacation time? If so, since you can't afford to go anywhere that could help. I'd suggest a part time evening job if it wasn't for the back problem. There is money to be made doing work online but hard to find real opportunities with all the scams.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,136,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
Hello, uh, well you don't have a name!

Anyways, man I feel your pain, how do you live with this? It's been so bad, sometimes I just want God to come and take me now, I mean it gets bad. I had one steroid shot already and I need another one. I guess the things that I need to cut are eating and going out. Those would be things that I could cut. I was just thinking because right now my home situation is not the best and if it wasn't for my friend I would probably be out on the street. 40k is ok, but after all my deductions which is about 1100 I think, I am not left with much. Well I will think about it, it does help though and keeps me sane. My family has degeneritive back disease and unfortunately, I got it early.

You should have about $2.5k/month after deductions, unless your w-4 is wrong.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, the PS3 is not worth enough to help much and it can help you get through this with some sanity. As for dating, unless you happen to find a woman that doesn't care about money, you have to put that and other costly endeavors on hold until you can get back on your feet. Does your employer allow selling back vacation time? If so, since you can't afford to go anywhere that could help. I'd suggest a part time evening job if it wasn't for the back problem. There is money to be made doing work online but hard to find real opportunities with all the scams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You should have about $2.5k/month after deductions, unless your w-4 is wrong.
i actually had about 2200 or something around there, then student loans took like 500 a month so that leaves me with about 1600, and out of that i have to pay rent, utilities, cell phone, gas, food, orthodontist appts, medical appts for my back. I am drowning here. I guess i will keep it because yes it does help get my mind off of things, I figured i could trade it in bring back a controller and a game and at least have around 150. I know that's not a lot, but this year is just going to suck for me. I just talked to my ex and she is going through the same problem, has back problems, but she is in the military and has only been in for like 4-5 years, i doubt she will get much if she gets out.

It just sucks because i know women shouldn't be my top priority or anything, but im tired of being single and alone and the back problems make me feel like "half a man" if that makes sense.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,136,696 times
It still seems low. Single with only 1 job. That's 2 allowances. If you are worried about coming up short, you could add an extra $10 withholding per paycheck($240/yr for 24 checks). Take out 6-10% for 401k, health insurance, dental insurance. It should put you at $2300-2600/month.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf
http://www.adp.com/tools-and-resourc...alculator.aspx

Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,567,021 times
Have you checked into income based repayment for your student loans (if they are government funded, not private?)

That might lower your monthly payment. I think its normally capped at 15% of income.

Its worth checking into at least if you're not already taking advantage of it.

As far as dating - well, if the type of woman you're looking for is the sort that wants a high paid man who can bench press her -- yeah, you're income and back problems might be an issue.

Otherwise - if you just want a nice person who can appreciate what other things you have to offer (assuming of course you have things to offer) - then you shouldn't be totally out of luck. But dating (even cheaply) can be kinda expensive, so keep in mind you're probably not going to be buying champagne for second dates or anything.

keep your chin up - and keep your PS3 - maybe you'll find a girl who likes to game (at least occasionally) and that'll be a cheap date!

Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,881,123 times
You need to write this stuff down, figure out how much you should be able to save and then start saving it. Do you have health insurance and if so, how much is it?

Write it all down and how much should you expect to pay every month--what's left?

Is your $2200 take home perhaps including health insurance?

$2200 income
-500 student loan
-?? rent in a shared situation?
-?? cell phone
-?? food
-?? gas... what about car payments, car insurance, etc.?
-??? doctors appointments?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,525,001 times
Dear OP,

My heart goes out to you.

First of all, don't you ever let yourself get to the point of thinking that no woman will ever want you because you have limited financial means - and are unable to do much about it. Any woman who is going to reject you because of that is not good enough for you. Just remember that. There ARE loads of kind, understanding, intelligent women who only want the same in a man, not his wallet. Women can work and with two incomes you can make it.

Second, if you are having trouble paying for good medical care, go to the best teaching hospital in your state, stop by the financial or billing office, and ask about any programs that offer low cost care. I worked as a medical social worker: You might contact the social work service in your hospital, contact the National Association of Social Workers district office for advice re: finances and your health care, or contact the Visting Nurse Association, for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance