Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea 27 12.16%
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track 105 47.30%
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind 37 16.67%
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry 28 12.61%
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok 8 3.60%
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place 17 7.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM

881 posts, read 2,094,581 times

Advertisements

Can I afford to? Sure. Do I want to? No.

Next Q.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
"What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place"

I am surprised that 4 of the 6 poll options involve a house.
I do not consider my house to be an investment or a retirement tool.
It is my home.

Also, having a company pension does not mean "I don't need to worry". It just means that you have another income stream.

DH and I are relying on SS, investments, savings, IRAs, 401(k), 403(b), pension. Even with that, we cannot afford to retire right now because of health care. Self-insurance is through the roof!

Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM

147 posts, read 307,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It is my home.
The reason that house is a factor for so many people is because of the overhead of living somewhere is reduced. Rent rates continually rise throughout the years, and owning a home outright can reduce the overhead of living expenses. Yes, you still have to pay property taxes and maintenance costs on your house. But by owning it free and clear, you can live off of a lower income in retirement.

Say you own a $150k home with a $120k mortgage, and pay about $900 a month for MTI, with about $700 going to mortgage. You also have maintenance costs of 3% of home's value a year, at $4500. That puts your total cost of living in the home to about $15k a year. If you live on $40k a year post taxes, you could live on about $31.5k a year if you paid off your mortgage, and still have the same lifestyle. Over a 20 year retirement, that would require $168k less than if you hadn't paid off your mortgage.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,011,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner23 View Post
The reason that house is a factor for so many people is because of the overhead of living somewhere is reduced. Rent rates continually rise throughout the years, and owning a home outright can reduce the overhead of living expenses. Yes, you still have to pay property taxes and maintenance costs on your house. But by owning it free and clear, you can live off of a lower income in retirement.

Say you own a $150k home with a $120k mortgage, and pay about $900 a month for MTI, with about $700 going to mortgage. You also have maintenance costs of 3% of home's value a year, at $4500. That puts your total cost of living in the home to about $15k a year. If you live on $40k a year post taxes, you could live on about $31.5k a year if you paid off your mortgage, and still have the same lifestyle. Over a 20 year retirement, that would require $168k less than if you hadn't paid off your mortgage.
Property taxes have been rising faster than the rate of inflation. Do the math, then get back to us on just how much more you'll be paying down the line in taxes.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM

147 posts, read 307,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Property taxes have been rising faster than the rate of inflation. Do the math, then get back to us on just how much more you'll be paying down the line in taxes.
This point is irrelevant since it's impossible to avoid the property taxes. You will pay them no matter where you are living. Even if you are renting, the cost of property taxes is included in your rent payments. I know that property taxes are increasing over the long haul, but for the sake of simplicity, I avoided that in order to make my point.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:25 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,294,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Do you seriously think you can afford to retire?
No, I'm under no such illusions.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 PM

987 posts, read 1,387,968 times
Just an example below, I found how much property taxes are in the case of California if one could buy and live in a house with the figures below, it doesn't seem too bad and one should be able to live comfortably when one retires and their mortgage is paid off even though left with the annual property tax to pay.
Now my other question would be, is there a property tax exemption of sorts with age? Which I found here, California Property Tax Relief Information | eHow.com California-property-tax-relief-information.html but haven't yet read it all, but at least there's something about tax relief in most states!

How much property taxes for $120,000 house in Riverside city, CA? - Yahoo! Answers

Q: How much property taxes for $120,000 house in Riverside city, CA?
We have plan to buy $120,000 house in Riverside city, CA. That house value before was $250,000. I would like to know how much do we need to pay property taxes if we buy the house on April 09. Will 2009 and 2010 property taxes be same or different?

A: The tax value for the current year is already set in stone. For the next year it will be revalued based on your purchase price. As a generalization, figure tax at 1.1% of the purchase price to make provision for outstanding bonds or special assessments. If the property is in a Mello Roos district, you will pay significantly more. If it is in a Mello Roos district is something that should be disclosed to you because it affects what you are going to have to pay.

Under Prop 13, property taxes are limited to 1% of the value of the home. The value of the home will be the purchase price. Therefore your taxes will be $1,200 for the first year. They may rise not more than 2% per year after that.
Make sure that there are no Mello-Ross assessments, though! Those can be very costly.

Who knows, maybe we would reconsider returning to the U.S. at our really old age, but that still would be an uncertainty since we are already set in our ways here overseas where we have an affordable and comfortable lifestyle we are happy and content with! We'll see though in the next 10 or 20 years if I'm still around and kicking!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
If homw values go up then it will go up. Just as a 250K home bought for 120K is goig to be any cheaper to maintain as that cost does go down with the basic sales price.bascially you wnt to be able to poay the taxes and maintainance cost has prices chnage. if they went up then went down they can go back up again.pretty simple really and you just have to take that into account in planning as a possibility like medical goig up.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It is my home.

Owning your home is a crucial retirement tool for millions of low income Americans; for many it makes the difference between being able to enjoy a modest retirement lifestyle and never being able to retire.

Half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on shelter; these are people who can't afford to retire.

NOW can you see where owning your home with a paid-off mortgage is a retirement tool for low earners?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If a bank won't lend, have you tried lease with option to buy, owner financed ?

Those are usually overpriced (often WAY overpriced) and a poor value. Possibly better than nothing, but I haven't found one I was comfortable with.

Also, I suspect advancing age might have already doomed any such hopes of mine. These deals are always on contract ("land contract" aka "contract for deed") and if I don't live long enough to complete the payments, I'd probably lose all the equity I had built up, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance