Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea 27 12.16%
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track 105 47.30%
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind 37 16.67%
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry 28 12.61%
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok 8 3.60%
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place 17 7.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Others have fielded this comment and I'll add on to the dog pile. This is hogwash. There isn't any correlation to renting and "never get ahead financially." One of my good friends has been a renter all his life. He's made some bad decisions early on and actually filed for bankruptcy. He got his act together and is out of debt, contributing to a 401k and has money in the bank. Like me, he does not have a college degree but that has not stopped him from getting good paying jobs. We both worked at McDonald's as burger flippers too.

So this constant victim mentality is nothing more of a smokescreen.

Not a perfect correlation, but a consistent and fairly solid one.

For 2012 I found median income $65K for homeowners, $33K for renters.

And while these numbers below are outdated, the ratio is staggering:

Homeowners had a median net worth of $234,200 in 2007, the latest available Survey of Consumer Finances from the Federal Reserve says. Renters' median net worth was $5,100, or just 2% that of homeowners.

5 ways to get rich . . . or poor - 1 - money management - MSN Money

[update: more recent numbers suggest homeowner median net worth is down to $174K still 30 times the net worth of renters]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,210,621 times
Ah so renter median net worth being lower supports your statement that renters never get ahead financially.

I'll add terrible skills of deduction to ****-poor loser defeatist attitude to the reasons you are a career burger flipper with a college degree. Obviously some people aren't meant to ever be anything more than mindless labor and the earn low compensation they command.

Last edited by slackjaw; 12-09-2012 at 01:30 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,731,080 times
Some would say the Goverment agrees with you on several levels...

It has been the long standing policy to encourage home ownership... either through various programs like the VA and FHA.

There are also tax advantages.

The advantage to the taxpayers is those with homes are less likely to be dependant on the Government.

Even HUD announced a program to help those on Section 8 buy homes by allowing the rent subsidy to be used for a mortgage payment.

The local Housing Authority should have more info in 2013.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,731,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

[update: more recent numbers suggest homeowner median net worth is down to $174K still 30 times the net worth of renters]
Thanks for posting the link...

Interesting that marriage is number one

The book the Millionaire Next Door mentions a commonality among those interviewed is a good first marriage

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-09-2012 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM

106,833 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Quote:

Homeowners had a median net worth of $234,200 in 2007, the latest available Survey of Consumer Finances from the Federal Reserve says. Renters' median net worth was $5,100, or just 2% that of homeowners.

[url=http://money.msn.com/how-to-budget/5-ways-to-get-rich-or-poor-weston.aspx]5 ways to get rich . . . or poor - 1 - money management - MSN Money[/url
Homeownership is the reward for attaining a higher income not the cause of that income.

The real issue is most renters who have substantial incomes dont have the discipline to invest in other assets . They usually end up with a better apartment,better cars or more vacations.

At least the homeowner has a consolation prize.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-09-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,020,685 times
Quote:

I think people are arguing whether or not you will have more money after x year renting vs. buying a home.

In Hartford you can rent a 1 bedroom with heat and hot water for about 1000$ per month. If you bought a 200K house your monthly expenses would be approximately 1500 in mortgage and 5K in property taxes. Include heat and repairs and you are up to about 1750 per month.

If the interest rate is 4% you are paying about 30% of mortgage payments as principle. So in theory your expenses from buying are the total payments minus the loan payment of 30% * 1000$ = 300$

So your total expenses buying a 200K house is about 1750 - 300 = 1450 buy vs. 1000$ rent.

Also realize that the house could drop in value, you could have to move and have a hard time selling. You have to consider the down payment and the fact that you could invest the money.

In this hypothetical example renting will net you more savings.

How about you draw out an example just looking at the median income of renters vs. buyers doesn't show that buying is better.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Ah so renter median net worth being lower supports your statement that renters never get ahead financially.

I'll add terrible skills of deduction to ****-poor loser defeatist attitude to the reasons you are a career burger flipper with a college degree. Obviously some people aren't meant to ever be anything more than mindless labor and the earn low compensation they command.

Well there's a sort of feedback loop going on...renters who DO get ahead financially usually become homeowners, thereby exiting the renter pool and leaving behind a still-poor pool of renters.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Some would say the Goverment agrees with you on several levels...

It has been the long standing policy to encourage home ownership... either through various programs like the VA and FHA.

There are also tax advantages.

The advantage to the taxpayers is those with homes are less likely to be dependant on the Government.

Even HUD announced a program to help those on Section 8 buy homes by allowing the rent subsidy to be used for a mortgage payment.

The local Housing Authority should have more info in 2013.

Then why does goverment reject my idea of boosting homne ownership for working class people who need it most, by reducing regulation annd allowing the private sector to sell affordable homes to burger flippers? Liberals pushed the goverment to prod lenders into finance McMansions people couldn't afford, and conservatives blasted the misguided government intervention.

My plan reduces government intervention, maximizes economnic liberty, and increases homeownership, thereby increasing wealth, stability, and retirement security for the people who currently have it least. What better way to promote work and reduce dependency on the government?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Homeownership is the reward for attaining a higher income not the cause of that income.

The real issue is most renters who have substantial incomes dont have the discipline to invest in other assets . They usually end up with a better apartment,better cars or more vacations.

At least the homeowner has a consolation prize.

Shouldn't the lower-income renter who lives frugally also be able to end up with a consolation prize?

And shouldn't the private sector be free to sell burger flippers what burger flippers can afford?

Shouldn't picking winners and losers be left to the private sector and not to government?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I think people are arguing whether or not you will have more money after x year renting vs. buying a home.

In Hartford you can rent a 1 bedroom with heat and hot water for about 1000$ per month. If you bought a 200K house your monthly expenses would be approximately 1500 in mortgage and 5K in property taxes. Include heat and repairs and you are up to about 1750 per month.

If the interest rate is 4% you are paying about 30% of mortgage payments as principle. So in theory your expenses from buying are the total payments minus the loan payment of 30% * 1000$ = 300$

So your total expenses buying a 200K house is about 1750 - 300 = 1450 buy vs. 1000$ rent.

Also realize that the house could drop in value, you could have to move and have a hard time selling. You have to consider the down payment and the fact that you could invest the money.

In this hypothetical example renting will net you more savings.

How about you draw out an example just looking at the median income of renters vs. buyers doesn't show that buying is better.

My math works out differently because I would rent out the spare bedrooms for rental income, thereby defraying my ownership expenses. What does a room rent for in Hartford? Top of my head I'd guess $400 or do.

I saw one article several months ago claiming that owning is currently cheaper than renting in 48 of the top 50 markets, but the link below says it's only 37.

Oh lookie, here's a cite:

According to real estate web site Trulia, buying was cheaper than renting in 74% of the country's 50 largest cities in July. In just 12% of the cities, including New York, Seattle and San Francisco, renting was cheaper. In the remaining 14% of cities, renting was less expensive but close to the cost of buying.

Buying is cheaper than renting in most U.S. cities - Aug. 16, 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance