Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

Alex Nicola, who will be 5 in August, enjoys being naked as frequently as possible at home.

"In the morning he gets up and takes his pajamas off, and rather than get dressed right away, he walks around naked," said Dawn Nicola, Alex’s mother, a stay-at-home parent in Castle Rock, Colo.

NYT: When is it OK for kids to run around naked? - The New York Times- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
I personally would think by 5, a child is old enough to understand that in our society we wear clothing. A 2-3 y.o. who runs naked around the house for a short while after a bath is one thing. A 5 y.o. spending extended time more or less publicly (outside the privacy of his own room) naked is pushing it IMO. But if it doesn't bother anyone in his family then I guess that's their prerogative....

Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM

106 posts, read 383,311 times
Our boys (4&7) have no problem with running from the bathroom to their room in the buff after bath time and we just think it's kinda cute...anymore than that though would be reason for a chat.

Both kids are waaaay too modest to ever do that anywhere else though....my oldest didn't even want to take a bath at a weekend sleepover in which he was to go with his friend's family to church Sunday AM (we know them very well)...the mom had to call us and let us tell him it was o.k. for her to "see him" just that once:-)

Guess it depends on the kid as to how much such time is too much...definitely not a good "extended" habit to get into:-)

Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
I stopped running around naked when it embarassed my kids. My kids stopped running around naked when it embarassed them. But we never ran around naked when guests were present.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM

106 posts, read 383,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I stopped running around naked when it embarassed my kids. My kids stopped running around naked when it embarassed them. But we never ran around naked when guests were present.
...hilarious.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:29 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,194 times
At home, with no guests present, I'd say it is ok as long as it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable. For me personally, that would probably be around 10 or so, other than a short dash from the bathroom to their room, which would be ok for me anytime.

If there are guests present or in a room with a clear view from the sidewalk, it's ok for toddlers, but I'd probably try to stop them around 5 years old.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I personally would think by 5, a child is old enough to understand that in our society we wear clothing. A 2-3 y.o. who runs naked around the house for a short while after a bath is one thing. A 5 y.o. spending extended time more or less publicly (outside the privacy of his own room) naked is pushing it IMO. But if it doesn't bother anyone in his family then I guess that's their prerogative....
How sad I send my condolences.

This is a huge part of what is WRONG with society.

Wow and WOW

Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
How sad I send my condolences.

This is a huge part of what is WRONG with society.

Wow and WOW
Just how is that sad? I said in our society we wear clothing in public....Is that not true? I ALSO said if it doesn't bother anyone in their house then fine. This is not a walking from the bathroom to the bedroom thing - that is not an issue. I personally think that coming home from school and regularly removing ones clothing totally to just hang around the house is a little unusual. I didn't say they were Satan's spawn or anything.....geez...It's basic manners...by 5 I personally believe a child is old enough to be expected to learn what is and isn't acceptable in public. Nudity is generally one of those things....but heck maybe the whole family are nudists -who knows? And LIKE I SAID, what goes on in their own home is their prerogative....

Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Our home is OUR castle, it has curtains at every window. When WE feel like being naked we are naked. I never forced this on my daughter but she is naked most of the time when she is home. When she finds me wearing clothes, she assumes we are going somewhere.

I am 42 and she is 12, at a time when children pull away from their parents and are worried about the changes in their bodies, my daughter shows NONE of that.

In the "society that wears clothes" that even has a problem with people being naked in their own homes, I feel sorry for you.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Why - because my feelings are different from yours? It seem to me I said - what goes on in ones home is their choice. So I guess it's ok for me to accept your beliefs but you dont' have to accept mine?? And YOU feel sorry for ME? oookaaay.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting