Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,490,123 times

Advertisements

The point, I think, is not to do anything that is a nuisance or annoyance to other people. Beyond that, what you do privately is your own choice. If it's permissible to have "family naturism" as an option, which it is, then a forteriori it's permissible to practice a less extreme version of it in private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I said that because always feeling the need to be covered up even in ones home doesn't sound very comfortable emotionally or physically. I am not ashamed of my body, neither is my daughter.

We have even gone skinny dipping before, shock surprise.

Next time we go on the Disney cruise and end up on St. Maarten, we will once again go to the nude beach on the French side.

Who is having more fun?? My daughter and I.
Not everyone has to be nude in order to have fun, and people don't cover their bodies because they're ashamed of them, either.

Wow, I didn't see this thread started in 2009 but just that it was recently posted in.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,506,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I personally would think by 5, a child is old enough to understand that in our society we wear clothing. A 2-3 y.o. who runs naked around the house for a short while after a bath is one thing. A 5 y.o. spending extended time more or less publicly (outside the privacy of his own room) naked is pushing it IMO. But if it doesn't bother anyone in his family then I guess that's their prerogative....
Are you considering being naked outside his own room being in public?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Are you considering being naked outside his own room being in public?
Sigh..this thread is 5 years old. I was responding to a specific article, which is no longer available on the link (possibly because it was 5 years ago). To the best of my recollection, it was about a family who's children preferred to be naked not only inmore private situations but in semi-public situations as well. I can't remember all the details (after all it has been 5 years), but I think some neighbors were uncomfortable visiting (or maybe sending their kids over to play?) because the kids were naked regardless of who was there or where they were in the house.

Now, for what feels like the millionth time: I do not care what people do in their own home. Do. Not. Care. My response was a response to a specific article in the OP.

Geez.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,506,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sigh..this thread is 5 years old. I was responding to a specific article, which is no longer available on the link (possibly because it was 5 years ago). To the best of my recollection, it was about a family who's children preferred to be naked not only inmore private situations but in semi-public situations as well. I can't remember all the details (after all it has been 5 years), but I think some neighbors were uncomfortable visiting (or maybe sending their kids over to play?) because the kids were naked regardless of who was there or where they were in the house.

Now, for what feels like the millionth time: I do not care what people do in their own home. Do. Not. Care. My response was a response to a specific article in the OP.

Geez.

lol. Im sorry. Who dug this thread up anyways?

I agree with you. You do what is right for you.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,453,131 times
My granddaughter is home during the day with her youngest child, a 2 year old boy. He will use his potty chair if he is naked from the waist down, but if he's dressed, he forgets, so he runs around half nude many days.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 586 times
I think there is way too much fear of nudity in our American culture. More nudity in the home would make for happier, more well-adjusted people. We should celebrate our beautiful bodies that God has given us. But the ones that have been destroyed by alcohol, over-eating, under-usage, should be kept well-covered and away from grossing-out our family members, neighbors, and friends.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:58 AM

24 posts, read 14,850 times
I don't see the problem with nudity in one's own home. It won't kill anyone. Nudity is natural! Everyone has bodies, everyone is born naked. I understand that one can't be naked while out and about, at least here in the US, but if someone's hanging around in the buff in their own home/property, I don't see a problem.

Really, I think all the fear of genitals (and women's breasts) is overblown. We all have genitals, everyone knows we do.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:48 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post
Agreed. COMPLETELY.

Good for you for teaching your daughter to be comfortable in her own skin and her body. You both sound so fun to party with!

I love nude beaches. Being naked is natural... .
A) People teach their fully clothed kids to be comfortable with their bodies EVERY DAY
B) Assuming someone is fun because they walk around naked is just skeevy
C) Lots of things are natural. Doesn’t mean you should do them all the time or in public or in front of or with children. Biggest cop out line of them all.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomsami View Post
I think there is way too much fear of nudity in our American culture. More nudity in the home would make for happier, more well-adjusted people. We should celebrate our beautiful bodies that God has given us. But the ones that have been destroyed by alcohol, over-eating, under-usage, should be kept well-covered and away from grossing-out our family members, neighbors, and friends.
Ha ha ha ha!

Truly hilarious. I doubt you have travelled much. Americans are certainly the MOST COMFORTABLE WITH THEIR BODIES NO MATTER WHAT THOSE BODIES LOOK LIKE culture probably globally. Any cultures that expose themselves more are probably indigenous ones that still use coverings rather than clothing.

Americans are ALL about showing off their bodies. We are not ‘afraid’ of nudity AT ALL. More nudity in the home would just bring about more infections and illness. There’s a reason human beings came up with the clothing idea to begin with.

Even those indigenous cultures I mentioned cover their privates ‘at home’..... for good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting