Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times

Advertisements

He'll let you know when he's uncomfortable seeing you naked, probably around 7 or 8 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 06:01 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,557,742 times
For the ones talking about the nastiness of sitting on furniture nude, I read some article a while back about nudiest who meet monthly in people's homes if there's no nudist resort in the area. It said everybody is asked to bring their own town to sit on, whether on the couch, dining room chair, whatever.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
He'll let you know when he's uncomfortable seeing you naked, probably around 7 or 8 or so.
For mine it was about age 3 or 4. They never had to be pushed into wearing clothes.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:37 AM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Not after the toddler stage. I always have clothing on so they always have clothing on.

I'm not even comfortable hanging around naked or seeing people who are outside the bedroom and other select areas.... too many parts flopping around while doing chores for my taste. I personally DON'T think the naked human body is always the most pleasant thing to look at either, so put on some boxers or a robe or something .

At some point kids who grow up in naked households are going to wonder if it's is weird, and some are going to think it is and probably not want to be around their naked mom and dad. I don't know what happens then, that's one issue I'll never have to face.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:46 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
a child is old enough to understand that in our society we wear clothing.
Out in society we do yes - but our own homes are something else. I see no issue with it at all. Be the child 3 - 13 - or 30. Or any age in between. We have a heated outdoor Jacuzzi thing too - which is often used by us naked - and by some guests too. So home and garden are generally accepted in my place.

I will leave it up to my kids as to when they want to be nude or not around our property. And they will have to leave it up to me when I am too.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
While raising 3 boys, the naked body wasn't a big deal, since we are all boys and our home life was different because there was no mother. Not that we ran around naked, because I didn't, but I very rarely wear a shirt in the house in the warmer months so the boys were used to that, and didn't always wear shirts either....Ugh, our home was very warm...but one of my sons was naked a little more than the others. I would have to remind him, OK, your shower was over an hour ago, your dry, put shorts on.....please.................................he was so slooooooooooooooooooow.

JMO I don't think little boys should see their mother naked, and little girls shouldn't see their father naked.

oops, I answered this already................................gotta love being in the office.... yawn !!

Last edited by nightcrawler; 04-15-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Out in society we do yes - but our own homes are something else. I see no issue with it at all. Be the child 3 - 13 - or 30. Or any age in between. We have a heated outdoor Jacuzzi thing too - which is often used by us naked - and by some guests too. So home and garden are generally accepted in my place.

I will leave it up to my kids as to when they want to be nude or not around our property. And they will have to leave it up to me when I am too.
Fab
..Next time use the entire quote then:

"personally would think by 5, a child is old enough to understand that in our society we wear clothing. A 2-3 y.o. who runs naked around the house for a short while after a bath is one thing. A 5 y.o. spending extended time more or less publicly (outside the privacy of his own room) naked is pushing it IMO. But if it doesn't bother anyone in his family then I guess that's their prerogative...."

Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Americans are way too uptight. There's a difference between public nudity and nudity for a reason/place appropriate nudity. In America, it's pretty well driven in to most kids that you should never be naked around anyone.

If you go to a waterpark, or the swimming pool.. People wear their swimsuits there and just throw a shirt/pants over them when they leave.

School locker rooms are built without showers now, and the older schools, they're used for storage areas.

Go to a gym.. There's a thick fog of deodorant in the air.

I took my nephew for swimming lessons at the Y several years ago.. He was probably about 8 at the time. I told him, he can wear the swimsuit there, but he wasn't getting his wet butt in my new vehicle. The first few times, he went into the toilet stalls to change out of his suit.. After the second or third time.. It was no big deal and he was changing in the 'open' of the locker room.

Now, when he goes to high school, if it's required.. I doubt he'll have problems with a shower after PE. The odds are, however, that it won't be required, because so many nowadays would rather drop out of school than use a group shower. Even when I was in school in the late 80's, early 90's.. Showers after PE were 'optional', but, if you didn't take a shower, the best grade you could get in the class was a B. So, it was basically all the A students plus a handful of others in the showers.

There is nothing at all wrong with place appropriate nudity, but here, it's taught that the only appropriate place is when you're by yourself.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:52 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
..Next time use the entire quote then
I use just enough of another persons post so that they know which part in general I am replying to. Dont like it - read someone elses posts.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 PM

513 posts, read 799,845 times
My 3 year old loves running naked around the house. After a tub she will run downstairs and put on her fairy wings and run circles naked, laughing, and being silly. We have been staying at my parents while my kitchen is fixed (pipe burst). She loves doing it because she gets attention. People laugh at her so she continues to do it. My brother was uncomfortable with her being naked in the house but he did the same thing when he was young.

I remember when I was young til around 2nd grade we would play "chase". Since I didn't want to get a tub, my dad would chase my brother and I around the house while we hid and if he tagged us we lost a piece of clothing. When we were naked it meant we needed to get in the tub/shower and go to bed afterwards.

I don't want to push anything on my daughter about naked being "wrong" or give her a complex. I also wouldn't allow her to run naked outside or around strangers. She also has never wanted to do that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting