Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,623,751 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, a few years after the surgeon general released the original report linking smoking to vast health risks, my Dad—a doctor!—still smoked a pipe and the occasional cigar. I remember him lighting a stogie during a long drive in the family VW.

Should Smoking Around Kids Be Illegal? - Poked & Prodded - Health.com (http://pokedandprodded.health.com/2008/08/25/should-smoking-around-kids-be-illegal/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,231,902 times
I would like someone to tell me the original specific study that identified that second hand smoke is a cause of cancer.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,876 times
I am not sure. My SIL smoked like a dragon around her kids, including in the car. Then she was so concerned about his allergies/asthma, etc. It was like, ok, idiot, do you think the smoke is HELPING the kid breath? To me it was so obvious i wondered if it should be a type of abuse. I mean, you are doing something that is literally causing your child, or contributing to the condition necessitating your child, to be on prescription medication. something is just wrong with that. esp. babies, their lungs are so tiny.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,924,116 times
No, it should not be illegal. Do you really want the government telling you everything you can and cannot do around your child? It's a slippery slope that shouldn't be started.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,260,958 times
I do not know if it should be illegal but during my friends custody hearing her ex husband brought up the fact that my friend has smoked in the car with the kids and the judge reprimanded her! And we are in Virginia...tobacco row!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,773 times
Its human nature to come up with reasons to disparage others whom one does not like.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,725 times
I smoke and I smoke in the vehicle with my kids in the car and the windows open. Lets not forget years and years of people smoking while pregnant, in cars in offices in malls and such and alot of people are just fine. My grandmother lived until she was 102 and she was around smoking all her life, she didnt' smoke but her whole family did and so did my grandfather. I dont believe this second hand smoke thing sorry. Your more likely to die from a drunk driver than someone smoking outside and you perhaps walk by and breath some in. Ugh. I hate this topic. What about when people wear strong perfume?? I think that should be banned. My eyes run I can't breath...but thats ok right? Maybe the government should look after perfume makers and make it not as potent

Old 08-29-2008, 06:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,874,275 times
Well, I am 30. Lived in a house w/ a chain smoker my whole life who drove in a car with a lit cig and us kids in the back seat. I swore I would never smoke as i would choke on the smoke with each drive. I didn't smoke...but I have the lungs of a smoker and have chronic bronchitis because of it... My mother has never smoked a cig she has lit in all her life, but had a father, and now a husband, who has filled her lungs with smoke... she too has lung problems. I do not think smoking around children should be legal. I remove my children ASAP from any area a person is smoking...

Once, My huband, kids and I were at a fenced in park with an amazing playground and benches... it wasnt' large... just big enough for the play yard... We were the only parents there with our children. A woman was on her cell phone conducting business... all by herself... pen in hand scribbling away in some notebook while she gabbed... then she lit a cig... IN A SMALL PLAYGROUND! I was so annoyed... why couldn't she go to another area of the park with benches to smoke that stick? So, after making my point loud and clear... literally LOUD...I ended up grabbing my kids and making them leave so they were not by the smoke... People are just ignorant idiots if they want to smoke in front of kids...it was different 20+ years ago... nobody realized the harm of it... but now they do and something SHOULD be done...

Old 08-29-2008, 07:13 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,556,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
No, it should not be illegal. Do you really want the government telling you everything you can and cannot do around your child? It's a slippery slope that shouldn't be started.

I agree... I think education is key here.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:51 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,538 times
I think that if it is found- 100% that smoking causes cancer in second-hand smoke...then yes, it should be illegal, because essentially, you are killing someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting