Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,094,974 times

Advertisements

Are you now suggesting that no one under 30 is mature??

I think we all have heard plenty of your opinion on the matter. Do you have anything else to add or is that going to be it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,324,658 times
I am so sorry about your husband! What shock you must have been in!

Your story is very inspirational and I wish more people could live the way you have!

Give your daughter my best...I know she must be proud! Good job
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Nice post!

My story differs a bit in that my DH died 4 mo. after our daughter was born and I opted not to go on to grad school (he was working on his PhD at the time).

One can never really know what life will bring.

Do I regret bringing my daughter into this world? Absolutely not!!!

I was suddenly a "young single mother".

I've had to fight stereotypes my whole life (probably why this thread rankles me a bit?).

I'm young-ish, but not as young as I appear (thus the funny "being carded" story).

I'm a single mother, but never divorced.

I've never been on welfare. In fact, when the market was good, there were times when we were quite flush.

As far as kids of young, single mothers not amounting to much? SSSShhh don't tell my daughter. She's too busy working on her PhD.......

Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 16,611,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Nice post!

My story differs a bit in that my DH died 4 mo. after our daughter was born and I opted not to go on to grad school (he was working on his PhD at the time).

One can never really know what life will bring.

Do I regret bringing my daughter into this world? Absolutely not!!!

I was suddenly a "young single mother".

I've had to fight stereotypes my whole life (probably why this thread rankles me a bit?).

I'm young-ish, but not as young as I appear (thus the funny "being carded" story).

I'm a single mother, but never divorced.

I've never been on welfare. In fact, when the market was good, there were times when we were quite flush.

As far as kids of young, single mothers not amounting to much? SSSShhh don't tell my daughter. She's too busy working on her PhD.......
Wanted to rep you but I must spread zee love. So sorry about your loss, but congrats on a job well done.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM

838 posts, read 1,885,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Can you, honestly, say it wouldn't have been better if you'd waited?

When you have a choice to make, you choose the lesser of the evils. Young, immature, financially unstable, more likely to divorce parents are better than death.
You don't know how old we were, what our financial situation was, what our maturity level was, or what the state of our marriage was. But you can judge whether or not we should have waited?

Life happened, and we dealt with it, like many couples do.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,696,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
You don't know how old we were, what our financial situation was, what our maturity level was, or what the state of our marriage was. But you can judge whether or not we should have waited?

Life happened, and we dealt with it, like many couples do.
Statistically speaking, until you've been married several years, your risk of divorce is high. Divorce hurts kids. I can say waiting has better odds for kids.

I'm glad your children didn't end up put through a divorce. Too many are.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 PM

838 posts, read 1,885,343 times
Ivory, it's been an interesting debate. Time for me to go to bed.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,531,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I don't know why some people bring in the "Fact" that your brain doesn't mature until you are 25yrs old. Therefore if you have children before you really are an idiot. I have met many 40 yr olds who behave WORSE than me. They behave in ways that I never WILL. And they have children. Its kind of gross that such disgusting people hace children.
It is a "fact" that the prefrontal cortex of the brain does not reach maturation until mid-twenties. The prefrontal cortex ..

Quote:
The most typical psychological term for functions carried out by the pre-frontal cortex area is executive function. Executive function relates to abilities to differentiate among conflicting thoughts, determine good and bad, better and best, same and different, future consequences of current activities, working toward a defined goal, prediction of outcomes, expectation based on actions, and social "control" (the ability to suppress urges that, if not suppressed, could lead to socially-unacceptable outcomes).
cite: Prefrontal cortex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nobody said anything about anyone having a child under 25 is an idiot and nobody said anything about hating children. All we are saying is that a young parent may regret their decision later on in life for having a child because their brain is not fully cooked.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,094,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post

Nobody said anything about anyone having a child under 25 is an idiot and nobody said anything about hating children. All we are saying is that a young parent may regret their decision later on in life for having a child because their brain is not fully cooked.
I'm not sure we should pay any attention to your opinion on the matter. You're only 21 so your brain is not fully cooked yet. Come back in 4-5 years and we'll see how you're doing.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,531,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I'm not sure we should pay any attention to your opinion on the matter.
Yea, to hell with scientific fact backed by research. Complete hogwash if you ask me.

what total b.s!!!
Quote:
The frontal lobe reaches full maturity around age 25, marking the cognitive maturity associated with adulthood. Arthur Toga, UCLA, found increased myelin in the frontal lobe white matter of young adults compared to that of teens
Frontal lobe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nobody grows after 18! It's just not possible!

Last edited by nitokenshi; 02-07-2009 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,711,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Yea, to hell with scientific fact backed by research. Complete hogwash if you ask me.
Nit, you have to admit, NCyank made an excellent point in a pretty artful way. By your own logic, we should dismiss you as not ready for prime time.

Sure you're not as mature at 20 as you are at 25 -- and I've heard and wholeheartedly accept the fact that the human brain doesn't reach full maturity until it's 25. In fact. that fact rings true with my own life. Still, at 18, I didn't think I was mature enough to have kids. Now, at 32, with my fully mature adult brain, I think I actually was... so with my defective half cooked brain, I decided to wait for a bit to have kids, but now with my mature, adult brain .. I think .. nah, there was no point in waiting. So, what do you make of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting