Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 11:19 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times

Advertisements

OP, I hate that you all are going through this. Just curious, is your son in or around Los Angeles?

Old 09-16-2022, 11:26 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
OP, I hate that you all are going through this. Just curious, is your son in or around Los Angeles?
Mercifully, it's over now. The OP and spouse did a great job, and I must say, that it never would have worked if they hadn't established a solid, caring relationship with their son in the first place, so that they could talk the situation out with him (some college kids would have stopped receiving their calls early on in the situation), and even though he disagreed with them at first, he listened to reason in the end. Kudos on laying a good foundation with 18 years of good parenting! The investment of time, energy and love paid off.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:27 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Why are some people so hung up on where the kid is going to college? Who cares it's not near home? Same thing can happen anywhere.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:14 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

And he explained later, it wasn’t just her being horribly disrespectful and rude to me, but also the way she made excuses for it afterwards.

Also I wasn’t giving HER kindness or compassion, but using understanding as a tactic so my son would continue to communicate with us.
I am very impressed with your son's response to her assault on OP. He obviously has respect and care for his parents and that is impressive.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The promise of **** will do that to a young fella. And even many not-so-young fellas.
LOL, true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

The son in this thread is so fortunate to have a caring family, I hope he understands that.
Thank you. I think (hope) he does.

Quote:
LOL, that's just a nice, roundabout way of calling him dumb...
To be fair, I called him dumb in the first post. What he did was dumb, no question.

Quote:
Thank you and nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Mercifully, it's over now. The OP and spouse did a great job, and I must say, that it never would have worked if they hadn't established a solid, caring relationship with their son in the first place, so that they could talk the situation out with him (some college kids would have stopped receiving their calls early on in the situation), and even though he disagreed with them at first, he listened to reason in the end. Kudos on laying a good foundation with 18 years of good parenting! The investment of time, energy and love paid off.
What a lovely comment. Thank you. . Can’t rep you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why are some people so hung up on where the kid is going to college? Who cares it's not near home? Same thing can happen anywhere.
Yeah this is weird to me too. But threads can rarely go 14 pages without derailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am very impressed with your son's response to her assault on OP. He obviously has respect and care for his parents and that is impressive.
Thanks very much. He has since told me other things she said about us as parents which make no sense. She has major resentment towards us because of her own situation is what I’m guessing. I told him again, she has big problems that you can’t help her with.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 09-16-2022 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 01:27 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Please don't involve the police at this time. If she harasses him, he can seek a restraining order, but until then, it's best just to move on. That being said, the young man should consider having his apartment door re-keyed, and he should definitely lock his credit, make a thorough inventory of his belongings, and monitor his credit card for fraudulent use.
I am not sure about the police - you most likely right;
Maybe some cops here could chime in?

To me it started to look like a shake down, hence the suggestion of a consultation with the police or even a lawyer.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:26 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
The girl is a user and liar. She is going to hang on to him until he can't provide what she needs anymore. Where are his friends? They should be talking some sense into him and forcibly remove her.

If that doesn't work, I agree Dad should go there and take care of it.

Otherwise take a drastic step and refuse to pay his way anymore until he gets rid of her.
The closer it gets to rent due date, hopefully, he will get more concerned and finally do the right thing.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:35 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The girl is a user and liar. She is going to hang on to him until he can't provide what she needs anymore. Where are his friends? They should be talking some sense into him and forcibly remove her.

If that doesn't work, I agree Dad should go there and take care of it.

Otherwise take a drastic step and refuse to pay his way anymore until he gets rid of her.
The closer it gets to rent due date, hopefully, he will get more concerned and finally do the right thing.
You're well behind the storyline at this point.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Can someone do a quick recap?
How was it resolved?
Did she leave?

Old 09-16-2022, 02:38 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
I'm glad that the situation was handled and it's over now. Not to be an alarmist but you might want to clue your son in about another aspect of unsavory folks on the internet. Sometimes they work in male and female pairs. The female is the lure and the decoy and then you can guess the rest. At least it wasn't that sort of situation. You really can never be too careful and the internet can seem deceptively safe to young and actually also old people alike. A healthy dose of skepticism never hurts. Looks like your son has learned to never ever let a stranger stay with him. Could have really been a recipe for disaster. Again, glad that it worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting