Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 07:48 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times

Advertisements

OP, I have three grown children, and throughout this whole thread, I have been asking myself how I would react if I found myself in your position. While I'm glad that things have (apparently) worked out well for your son, there's still one aspect of it that gives me pause.

At least twice in this thread, you have said that your son has lied about a number of things in this situation. And while I'm sure he's a great kid, if I know he's lied to me about some things I have to ask myself: what else is he not being truthful about? The part about never using drugs or alcohol? The part about not having sex with this young woman? Knowing that he has lied about some things tends to weaken my trust in him not to lie about other things that he doesn't want his parents to know about.

I think you and your husband need to talk to him about this. You need to be able to trust what he's telling you, particularly since he's so far from home.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:02 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
OP, I have three grown children, and throughout this whole thread, I have been asking myself how I would react if I found myself in your position. While I'm glad that things have (apparently) worked out well for your son, there's still one aspect of it that gives me pause.

At least twice in this thread, you have said that your son has lied about a number of things in this situation. And while I'm sure he's a great kid, if I know he's lied to me about some things I have to ask myself: what else is he not being truthful about? The part about never using drugs or alcohol? The part about not having sex with this young woman? Knowing that he has lied about some things tends to weaken my trust in him not to lie about other things that he doesn't want his parents to know about.

I think you and your husband need to talk to him about this. You need to be able to trust what he's telling you, particularly since he's so far from home.
Yes, the lying gives me pause. That’s why my husband is out there now.

He is not lying about the alcohol or drugs.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:42 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
OP, I have three grown children, and throughout this whole thread, I have been asking myself how I would react if I found myself in your position.
I'd bet that's the case for all of us with young adult sons.

Old 09-17-2022, 09:08 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
OP got the help she sought, and the thread keeps wandering way off-topic. The thread is now closed at OP's request.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting