Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed that most of the clothes that are available for little girls are, well, sleazy?
My little girl is 6 and it is hard to find clothes that are reasonably priced that do not look like a registered sex offender designed them!
Why do little girls need to wear high cut tshirts that say junk like "sassy" or "fresh" or "hot" in rhinestones? Or the gym shorts that have words on the rear end? Why not just put a huge billboard on their behinds that says "Hey, look at this!!".
Some of this stuff looks like they are going home to put on their hot pants and lucite platform shoes. It disgusts me.
Is anyone else having this issue? With spring here and shorts and bathing suits around the corner I am feeling a little pressure to start finding her clothes that lets her look like the LITTLE GIRL that she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Has anyone noticed that most of the clothes that are available for little girls are, well, sleazy?
My little girl is 6 and it is hard to find clothes that are reasonably priced that do not look like a registered sex offender designed them!
Why do little girls need to wear high cut tshirts that say junk like "sassy" or "fresh" or "hot" in rhinestones? Or the gym shorts that have words on the rear end? Why not just put a huge billboard on their behinds that says "Hey, look at this!!".
Some of this stuff looks like they are going home to put on their hot pants and lucite platform shoes. It disgusts me.
Is anyone else having this issue? With spring here and shorts and bathing suits around the corner I am feeling a little pressure to start finding her clothes that lets her look like the LITTLE GIRL that she is.
My wife has resorted to buying online from catalogs such as Wooden Soldier and the like.

I mean, we don't want her to dress like a Mennonite, but we don't want her looking like a lot lizard either. Or something out of the end of Little Miss Sunshine.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 PM

Exactly! There are some great little boutiques for little girls here but the dressed cost almost as much as mine do!! I usually buy her little smocked dresses, Lily Pulitzer and such. I I don't want her to look like she needs to be in a burlap sack but I don't want her bathing suit to resemble a brazilian cut bikini. Where is the middle ground here???It is frustrating.
I hate to sell your wife out, but have you seen how much those clothes cost? My boys are much easier to dress...Khaki's and a polo!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:48 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Invest in a good sewing machine.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,356 times
When my daughter was younger... actually she is 15 and we still do this more by her choice now than anything but I learned to shop at consignment stores. Reason being is you can find a lot of nice clothes, in very good condition (especially the nicer consignment stores) and sometimes even with the tags on the clothing still at very reasonable prices.

A lot of times we'd find these really nice named brand clothes or things from those little boutique's and stuff. My daughter is 15 years old and she likes brands like Hollister, Ambercombie & Fisch <sp>, and American Eagle. As a single mom, unemployed, full time student living on a budget of child support and alimony, it's not always doable to get her the clothes she likes straight from the store. Consignment stores have really afforded us that opportunity.

Even she goes into the regular stores and heads straight for the clearance racks or waits to go to the consignment stores because she can't see paying $20 for a shirt when she can probably get 5 shirts for that same price at the consignment store.

The other plus is that though it gets a bit tougher to find clothing for teenagers at consignment stores unless they specialize in that, finding clothing for little girls, and boys too, is extremely easy and what most consist of. Mostly you can find really cute and appropriate clothing at these places. You can also turn around and consign your own child's clothes there as well and as result end up recycling money you have already spent on clothing. Most either buy your clothing up front or place your clothing on the racks for up to 3 months placing a percentage of the sold price into an account for your use.

I agree that a lot of the clothes out there for little girls and teenage girls is just ridiculous at times.

Mari

Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Invest in a good sewing machine.
That's what I'm doing. LOL. I kind of know how, but I'm starting to make my 2 year old's summer outfits myself. I figure by the time she actually cares how she looks, my skills will be a lot better.

My cousin is my daughter's godfather and also a middle school teacher. He has flat out told me I'm not "allowed" to dress HIS goddaughter in ANYTHING that has writing across her butt. I never planned to, just makes me laugh that he would insist as well.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:22 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,423 times
I thank God I have a boy! I could not handle trying to dress a girl today. I was at the school a month or so ago doing a volunteer thing when a class walked by the lounge I was in. I heard this clicking like heels and looked up. This kindergartener(!) had on two of those spaghetti strap tops and the top one was all sparkly with these capri embellished jeans with heeled sandals! Nevermind that is was still cold, but WTF? Who would let a 5/6 year old dress like that?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 PM

I saw the funniest book about a year ago and the title was "Girl, stop dressing your six year old like a skank!" That title says it all!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:50 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,598 times
I have found some longer shorts at JC Penny. And for tops I have to buy a way bigger size than what she is because the tops in her size are skin tight. I have the hardest time getting summer shoes for her. She doesn't need a 3 inch heel at 9 yrs old. We still haven't found a swim suite that we can agree on. She says all of the one pieces look like they are for "babies," with Dora or some little kid cartoon on them. When she was younger I used to find the skirts with shorts under them, but now I can't find those in her size anymore.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,883 times
Isn't it alwful!

I don't have any girls, but I see what my sister and friends go through trying to buy their little girls appropriate clothing - it's virtually impossible!

The worst is seeing the kids walking around with words across their arse - that's bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting