Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:00 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,154 times

Advertisements

Lands' End, LL Bean and a lot of hard shopping are the only way I can do it. I was at the seamstress yesterday, as a matter of fact, having a Lands' End shift made in several different fabrics for my 10 year old.

Listen, we live in So Cal, and it is really hard to find things that are decent. That said, I do not want to have my daughter stand out like some kind of Holly Hobby freak either. I try and keep her opinions in mind, and then I just tweak it till it works for us both. Thankfully I am really more preppy than anything, and that's what my girls are used to so they think that's what people wear, you know what I mean? Lot's of girls tend to dress more like mom than anyone else because that's who buys their clothes. I think that the reason a lot of girls clothes these days are so sexy and revealing is that the designers are marketing to the mothers who do not want to get older...they dress sexy or overly young, and their girls want the same. That, of course, and Hollywood...little girls idolize starlets who basically are nothing more than table dancers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:00 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,009 times
Quote:
Of course there are some ridiculous clothes out there, but don't go overboard either....those gym shorts and sweat pants that say the cheerleading squads or softball team's name on the butt have been around for over 20 years and kids have been wearing them!
I've been reading this thread but not commenting but now I have to. I have little girls and my husband is always telling me that I dress them too conservatively. I just pat myself on the back. They have many years that they can wear whatever they want. But as for the shorts with the names on the rear--I don't think I take offense to the logos or names on the back of shorts but to the small SIZE of the shorts. Half of their cheek is hanging out! I will not let my child wear those--no matter how in style they are. That's a personal preference but I'm just trying to understand how some people don't think it's a big deal.

Quote:
Lands' End, LL Bean and a lot of hard shopping are the only way I can do it. I was at the seamstress yesterday, as a matter of fact, having a Lands' End shift made in several different fabrics for my 10 year old.

Listen, we live in So Cal, and it is really hard to find things that are decent. That said, I do not want to have my daughter stand out like some kind of Holly Hobby freak either. I try and keep her opinions in mind, and then I just tweak it till it works for us both. Thankfully I am really more preppy than anything, and that's what my girls are used to so they think that's what people wear, you know what I mean?
Personally, I have four little ones and don't have the time to spend "hard shopping" so I stick mostly with whatever I find appropriate at Target or Children's Place. I thought your post was great and can understand exactly where you're coming from. My question is --- is it costing you a small fortune to have a seamstress make up copies of the Land's End shift?

Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,270 times
Beyond the obvious invitation for the mentally unstable, these clothes send the wrong message to girls. They are already so bombarded with the message that what matters is what they look like - not who they are or what they think. But then to get that reinforced at home??

How about a "Smartie" T-shirt?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 PM

793 posts, read 2,213,097 times
this is the pop culture for your appealing to younger and younger kids. When i was younger i was still listening to kids music at age 11 or 12. But time have changed since then. those music idols have become idols to kids in primary school. Not sure who started it whether Spice girl or Britney spears. Things are changing faster then every generations. Probably in 20yrs that wouldn't shock anyone then. I got a grandmother who is still shock about seeing women wearing pants and she is not that conservative. I guess that was something shocking back in her days. I guessing each generation will bring something more shocking then the next. Time will tell what it will be.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
this is the pop culture for your appealing to younger and younger kids. When i was younger i was still listening to kids music at age 11 or 12. But time have changed since then. those music idols have become idols to kids in primary school. Not sure who started it whether Spice girl or Britney spears. Things are changing faster then every generations. Probably in 20yrs that wouldn't shock anyone then. I got a grandmother who is still shock about seeing women wearing pants and she is not that conservative. I guess that was something shocking back in her days. I guessing each generation will bring something more shocking then the next. Time will tell what it will be.
I know it's off topic but you hit the nail on the head. Kids are being exposed to things much earlier than we were. My daughter was playing on our computer the other day (and let me begin by saying it took 6 months of begging to let her use the computer - she's six) and my husband asked me to come into the room. "Is she allowed to watch this?" My response was no. What was she doing watching this music video? Well, we have specific websites that she is allowed to play on and she just clicked on a link from her approved website and went into a pre-teen site and was watching a video that some parents might think is appropriate but I don't (it was Allie and AJ - I think I spelled it wrong). My husband looked at me and asked me how she got there. We had to have this whole discussion WITH HER about what we feel is appropriate and that she shouldn't click on links on these websites or we were going to discontinue her use of them. I didn't think the Littlest Pet Shop web site was going to cause so much controversy in my house! I want her to stay a little girl FOREVER or at least as long as I can -- and this means I must police her clothing, music and television choice. On another note -- her school is having this multiples day on Friday where the kids dress alike. A parent has decided that all the girls will wear tank tops. Well, I don't let me kids wear tank tops and now I'm the bad mom in the class - the party pooper.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
On another note -- her school is having this multiples day on Friday where the kids dress alike. A parent has decided that all the girls will wear tank tops. Well, I don't let me kids wear tank tops and now I'm the bad mom in the class - the party pooper.

Another reason I'm glad my son's public school has uniforms.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,480 times
Default Who is designing the sleazy clothes for little girls?

It seems that every one is in a big hurry for their kids to be over achievers. That means they think the older they look, the better the chance for success. Of course,in todays society, sex sells everything. The manufactures
don't really care, so long as they make a buck. There are still some places that care about how a young girl dresses. One place that comes to mind is a website called Unique wedding clothes children, toddlers. They carry a wide selection of sensible clothing for young girls, at affordable prices.

masdss

Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Another reason I'm glad my son's public school has uniforms.
Actually, my kids go to private school and wear a uniform too. This is a "fun" day!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:01 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
Totally agree...but I think the parents need to set the ground rules and whats appropriate..as the mother of 3 girls from 8 months to 8 years. I think I am pretty with it and maintain myself rather well. HOWEVER, that certainly doesnt mean I go around wearing sweatpants that say "juicy" on my butt. Shoot as a women, I cannot go into Victorias secret to buy classy lingerie without running into a jamie lynn spears "wannabe". I clearly remember at christmas time I saw a women frantically running around at Victorias Secret...so I must have jokingly said "Last minute xmas shopping is hard (I was smiling)". I still remember she was holding tons of stuff from the "pink collection" (thongs, gstrings, bras, and some sweatpant capris and stuff).

She said to me. MY FIFTEEN year old requested stuff from "Vickies" so I am trying to figure out what colors she will like.

WTF is what I was thinking. I was disgusted and preturbed. I remember the days in my old age of 36 when "Vickies" was place where you would get your honeymoon lingerie and the stuff in their screamed of what you would wear in the bedroom as a married woman.

It was almost a right of passage. Now it seems every skank in high school is wearing "vickie" and it ruins it for the real LADIES in the group.

Not to get off track but we are asking ourselves where are these sleezy clothes comming from? As long as things are being purchased by the moms and dads..the manufacturers are still making them and marketing them. Most are so cheaply made and will only last a wash or two. So as in the case of the Vickies incident, the mom MUSt have had at least a 100 bucks worth of stuff in her hand.

So you know what. Shame on her for indulging her kids. Shame on the parents for indulging their kids.

Look we have all been thru it before folks. I myself remember the days of sneaking out of the house hoping that my folks would notice me wearing a miniskirt..or sneaking of and (heaven forbid)...putting on lipgloss. But you know what I was in high school.

My parents dressed me rather stylishly and not slutty..and there were slutty clothes back in my time (Madonnas "boy toy" look remember). But my parents didnt indulge me and ironically I didnt feel to out of place.

I was more of a prep and my kids are more preppy too.

I usually shop at gymboree, old navy..and smaller boutique stores. for "play clothes", I like target and anything by Carters or Osh Kosh is usually okay in my books.

But for my 8 year old..things are getting a tad bit challenging as she loves the limited too. But I find ways to comprimise..getting her the nicer things...without going over board. I.E. I do allow sequins and glitter on the shirts..but prefer "sleeved" shirts versus tanks. I prefer the skorts intead of shorts. I prefer the capri pants over the short shorts.

I dont go into childrens place, I dont go into Macys because there clothes have gotten weird. Gap...dont go in their because old navy is the same thing.

And lastly...as a frusturated mom, I am designing my own clothing for the girls so they are stylish trendy, preppy...and very couture and girlish---I am shooting for clothing up to the 8th grade, I am launching my site in July....because I simply refuse to allow the girls to wear the yucky items anymore. Because I am only going to go online..I am hoping that I can pass the savings on to other moms who think the same way as me. Becasue I am tired of the skanky look for girls and the ghetto trash that I see in the boys (sorry to sound harsh to say that to the parents of boys--but I dont see how wearing your jeans at your knees is appropriate at any age).

Old 05-08-2008, 04:49 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post

It was almost a right of passage. Now it seems every skank in high school is wearing "vickie" and it ruins it for the real LADIES in the group.

This is a mother speaking this way? I don't think I will be looking at your online store, sorry. Not sure a "real lady" would be calling young highschool girls "skanks" because they were wearing VS.

I wore the bras and undies from VS in highschool and maybe even as early as 8th grade. You have to buy it from somewhere, might as well be the pretty stuff. I was far from a skank

As for the VS Pink line, seriously much of it is just sweatshirts, t shirts, and the same shorts that many other stores sell. Nothing suggestive about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting