Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 PM

149 posts, read 515,557 times

Advertisements

yeah, im pretty picky about what I allow my 9 yo dd to wear...

walmarts stuff isnt too bad if you go INTO the section- the stuff right on the aisle is (not only) higher priced, but also tends to be more questionable. We get some cute t shirts and leggings and little cotton shorts from there. for the name brand clothes shes starting to like (Gap, limited too, abercrombie), thrift stores are the best (reasonably priced) bet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,378 times
As often in the demand-offer world these clothes are produced because there is a demand.
Sadly it looks as if there are more parents prepared to dress their little girls like hookes that parents who want to dress their girls sensibly.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,633 times
I second the resale stores!!! Also, we find a lot of great buys on Ebay....I have 6yr and 13yr old girls and I am SO Thankful that they are modest and dont want those nasty sleezy clothes. I work with little girls and some of the outfits I see them in make me ill... then add the makeup and attitude, it scares me for them. sigh.
anyhow, another suggestion for the older/taller ones, what I do a lot w/my oldest is go to the petite sections. Especially for like sweaters and some of the dresses. They tend to fit her well, and yet still she likes them so its an easy breathe for me! We still mix in the Hollister/AE/other popular brands for some tshirts/sweatshirts, but again, typically get them via ebay so im paying a fraction of the cost.
I know how fortunate i am that my girls do have the taste they do. And its not like they are dressing in granny clothes and getting giggled at. The little one right now is getting dressed up in a hippy swing shirt and flared pants, looking very 70s and very cute, but totally covered and modest. Even at her age, she will come to me, w/a shirt in hand telling me its time to pass it down to a friend because her belly shows when she raises her hands. Oh, thats something else that we do....theres a little girl a bit older than my youngest, whos clothing is popular, yet in line with what Im good w/my girl wearing, when she outgrows stuff, she passes it down, then when my little one outgrows, we know a family w/2girls that all her stuff goes to. Its a great system.
anyhow, in this messed up world of little girls dressing as eye candy to pediphiles its sure nice to know theres more of us out there taking a stand against it and finding ways to dress our daughters as the children they are.
Tiffany

Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,437,356 times
LL Bean and careful shopping.

We don't buy any trashy clothes: no short skirts / dresses, no skimpy tops, no suggestive printing on shirts or butts, and no platforms or heels.

My pet peeve is toddler dresses that don't come with shorts / panties.

And don't get me started on the stripper Barbie outfits...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,725 times
I don't really get it sorry....I don't see the big deal in gym shorts saying something on their bottom, how thats suggestive in the least bit. Really, sure there are some clothes out there that are too adult or skimpy...but much of this is over reacting in my opinion. Loosen up, they're just girls, I think the mothers are the only ones making sexual connections with the clothing. My parents pretty much always let me wear whatever I wanted and I do the same with my daughter...maybe because we're E. European just not that uptight about petty things...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,633 times
well, i dont want MY six year old wearing little gym shorts that say HOTTIE!!! or BOYTOY across the butt...i think its sending the wrong message....
and its really not the mothers that Im worried about....

Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,380,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Has anyone noticed that most of the clothes that are available for little girls are, well, sleazy?
My little girl is 6 and it is hard to find clothes that are reasonably priced that do not look like a registered sex offender designed them!
Why do little girls need to wear high cut tshirts that say junk like "sassy" or "fresh" or "hot" in rhinestones? Or the gym shorts that have words on the rear end? Why not just put a huge billboard on their behinds that says "Hey, look at this!!".
Some of this stuff looks like they are going home to put on their hot pants and lucite platform shoes. It disgusts me.
Is anyone else having this issue? With spring here and shorts and bathing suits around the corner I am feeling a little pressure to start finding her clothes that lets her look like the LITTLE GIRL that she is.
Since I work in Fashion, I definitely notice this type of "styling" and although I don't have a daughter, I do find it very inappropriate. Working for Ralph Lauren, I love his childrenswear line.
I think that the reason why it's outthere is because this stuff sells. It's all supply and demand. If people weren't buying it, manufacturers wouldn't be selling it and designing it. It's all about the money. The quality of those clothes usually is bad, cheap fabrics and print techniques that wear off with 2-3 washes.
Now - who buys this type of stuff is the question. Little girls see their friends wearing "flashy" and demand the same thing. I don't think that they necessarily make sexual connection, but those type of clothes with glitter and bright colors look attractive to them.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,804 times
Yes!!!

I did not buy any dresses for my daughter this school year. Everything was polyester (clingy material), wrap skirts (hip hugging) or too short!

I don't want my kid to dress like Hannah Montana. I don't want a future Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan on my hands. I don't want to raise a future train wreck!

What happened to cute little girl dresses in COLORS (instead of all this blasted pink and brown, black and turquoise).

What about purple, navy, orange, green, blue, red?????

What about plaids??

Where are skirts to your knees???

Wear are SLIPS FOR GIRLS?????!!!!!

My daughter just turned 8.

I went to JC Penney, Marshals, Kohls, Valu City, Kmart, Meijers, Target, WalMart... then I finally gave up.

my girly girl had no dresses to wear for school. tons of tights... but not dresses or skirts.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:20 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I don't really get it sorry....I don't see the big deal in gym shorts saying something on their bottom, how thats suggestive in the least bit. Really, sure there are some clothes out there that are too adult or skimpy...but much of this is over reacting in my opinion. Loosen up, they're just girls, I think the mothers are the only ones making sexual connections with the clothing. My parents pretty much always let me wear whatever I wanted and I do the same with my daughter...maybe because we're E. European just not that uptight about petty things...
Wearing shorts with glitter all over their bottoms in kindergarten,first grade,etc... is ridiculous. The wording is unecessary, especially for girls this age.
I am a pretty with it mom (at least I think I am...) and think that a girl wearing a great knit dress or kahki's is much more stylish and cute.
The girls at this age probably aren't making the sexual connections, but I can assure you that it isn't JUST the mothers making that connection...!

For those looking for some cute,colorful play dresses or skirts... Lands End has some great play dresses that can be worn to school, as does CW Kids.
I have also found some great things from Pumpkin Patch.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My little girl is 6 and it is hard to find clothes that are reasonably priced that do not look like a registered sex offender designed them!
I couldn't rep you, but this was hilarious! I know it's not funny to you... I don't have kids and the thread caught my eye by chance, but I agree it must be horrible to have almost no choice but shop at Sluts 'R' Us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting