Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,526,728 times

Advertisements

I sometimes wonder if a pedophile isn't in charge of childrens styles.

I don't allow my 11 year old to dress in a way that is provocative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 PM

883 posts, read 3,730,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I wore the bras and undies from VS in highschool and maybe even as early as 8th grade. You have to buy it from somewhere, might as well be the pretty stuff. I was far from a skank
I was just about to post the same thing. And the stuff that was available at VS back then was MUCH more grown-up than the Pink line they have out now. What the heck could possibly be inappropriate about the Pink line for a 15-yr old girl??

Old 05-08-2008, 06:16 PM

793 posts, read 2,220,637 times
I never liked what my parents made me wear, when I was a child. I wanted to look cool like the other kids. Back then it was tight bleached jeans with holes in it. I also wanted to have gel in my hair and ear rings.

I am not going to make that same mistake with my kids. I would let them wear what ever please them to so extent.

I sometime see parents dress their kids in what they would wear when they are wearing now, like what the parents think is cool. u see father and son or Mother and daughter dress exactly the same way with same hair style. I say poor kid.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,921,330 times
I stand by what I say, back in the early 1990's Vickies catererd to the 25-40 sophisticated crowd. I remembered when it was very victorian and lace inspired....girls, you think you have seen lingerie...the stuff vickies use to carry was EXQUISITE.

Since then you see know see the 15 year old models running around on the media TV. Not only that..they dont even make some of the satins and laces gowns in the store anymore. Anyone who is 30 will remember walking into Vickies when its was well, Vickies. The prices were really expensive even back then...because it was geared towards professional women who had money to burn. Not like know where you can get the knock offs on ebay or something.

I completely agree with the two girls who said, if you midas well wear something, make sure its pretty. That is 100% correct. But there is a time and place for for pretty and there is a time and place for sexy. I this sexy is for grown women. Pretty is for teenagers and kids. Classy is for everyone.

However, their is body by gap, and other more "junior" things. I often wonder who bought those 38-42 dollar EACH bras that the 14-15 year olds are wearing. It all goes back to the parents. Apparantly I am not by myself in the viewpoint. Even Victorias Secret has aknowledged they have gone too far. And these are written and published by such publications this year of the Wall Street Journal so NO, they are not bogus. Personally, I hope that I see a change and am happy that at least one retailor has taken notice and is trying to change.

Apparently, You Can Be Too Sexy - WSJ.com

"In the 1990s, professional women shopped the pastel-painted stores for colorful, European-inspired lingerie, supplementing underwear wardrobes previously filled with black, white and beige styles. Soft music played in the background while saleswomen discreetly offered help.

But over time, Victoria's Secret adapted to a changing culture. Women began wearing camisoles and bustiers as outer garments, the growth of the Internet made skin-baring photographs ubiquitous, and teen pop stars such as Britney Spears gyrated on stage in revealing costumes.

One reason Victoria's Secret got off track, Ms. Turney said, was the success of its Pink brand, which launched in 2002 and aimed to introduce college students to Victoria's Secret stores. Pink has grown tremendously; in October, an executive said it would probably reach $900 million in sales for 2007.

But as teens and 20-somethings snapped up Pink underwear and pajamas, too many other product lines at Victoria's Secret shifted to target that same customer, Ms. Turney said.

Today, Victoria's Secret stores are lacquered black, with neon-pink accents and oversize images of scantily clad models. Pounding music pumps through the loudspeakers. Malls endure protests from parents who are outraged by window displays that feature suggestively posed mannequins."

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM

883 posts, read 3,730,716 times
Mom2gurls, it sounds like your issue is really with Victoria's Secret for having changed from what you knew & loved. Do you really have a problem with teenage girls buying bras & underwear at VS or are you just angry that that's who they're now gearing their product lines toward? I still am not sure why you said the teenagers who shop there are *skanky*. If you don't like their designs anymore, fine...but why put down the teenage girls who like the Pink line?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Mom2gurls, it sounds like your issue is really with Victoria's Secret for having changed from what you knew & loved. Do you really have a problem with teenage girls buying bras & underwear at VS or are you just angry that that's who they're now gearing their product lines toward? I still am not sure why you said the teenagers who shop there are *skanky*. If you don't like their designs anymore, fine...but why put down the teenage girls who like the Pink line?
The pink line was originally made for college age women as per the CEO statement in the Wall Street Journal Article. NOT for 13-14-15 year olds or the young lady who posted that she started wearing Vickies at 8 yrs old. Even the CEO admitted that it got off track and is considered too sexy.

I do miss what they used to carry! LOL.

My issue like any concerned parent is that there is a gray area now of whats appropriate these days. And when I say *skanky*...I mean when I see a 14-15 year old buying a G-String....there is something wrong with that picture. When I see Abercrombie and fitch designing and moms purchasing racy intimates..SEE below:

New lines of teen apparel are attracting attention - The Boston Globe

It saddens meSorry..there is no reason for a 14 year old to be running around in a gstring underwear. Also this article once again states that the PINK line for Vickies was aimed towards college kids.

My issue is simple...the stores are selling and soliciting our young girls to be sexy..and its completely counterproductive to what we has parents want to teach. Smart is Sexy.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 PM

793 posts, read 2,220,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
The pink line was originally made for college age women as per the CEO statement in the Wall Street Journal Article. NOT for 13-14-15 year olds or the young lady who posted that she started wearing Vickies at 8 yrs old. Even the CEO admitted that it got off track and is considered too sexy.

I do miss what they used to carry! LOL.

My issue like any concerned parent is that there is a gray area now of whats appropriate these days. And when I say *skanky*...I mean when I see a 14-15 year old buying a G-String....there is something wrong with that picture. When I see Abercrombie and fitch designing and moms purchasing racy intimates..SEE below:

New lines of teen apparel are attracting attention - The Boston Globe

It saddens meSorry..there is no reason for a 14 year old to be running around in a gstring underwear. Also this article once again states that the PINK line for Vickies was aimed towards college kids.

My issue is simple...the stores are selling and soliciting our young girls to be sexy..and its completely counterproductive to what we has parents want to teach. Smart is Sexy.

Those pictures don't seem too bad for them to wear. I seen a lot worst.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 PM

Well this is video for the gilly hicks line..funny they just say that you need to be 18. How lame is that....I can count back 18 years myself..and view it. What makes someone think that a 13 year old cannot do the same.

Sure...this totally appropriate for a 13-14 year old to wear right? The first part of the original article that was posted and I quote states:

"After months of speculation in the fashion world, Abercrombie & Fitch, the popular clothing retailer, unveils its latest concept store at the Natick Collection Jan. 21. Called Gilly Hicks Sydney, it's an intimate apparel store aimed at teens and young adults."

Watch the film folks...is this what you want your "young adult" or "teen" to be influenced by or watching..or much less wearing.

Gilly Hicks

Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,526,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
I never liked what my parents made me wear, when I was a child. I wanted to look cool like the other kids. Back then it was tight bleached jeans with holes in it. I also wanted to have gel in my hair and ear rings.

I am not going to make that same mistake with my kids. I would let them wear what ever please them to so extent.

I sometime see parents dress their kids in what they would wear when they are wearing now, like what the parents think is cool. u see father and son or Mother and daughter dress exactly the same way with same hair style. I say poor kid.
We are talking about sexualizing children. Its wrong and disgusting. My daughter wears clothes that are made for children her age, she is dressed neatly, clean and respectful. I would not allow my child to dress like a street corner hooker like I have seen alot of parents do in fact I don't allow my daughter to hang with kids who dress like that.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
We are talking about sexualizing children. Its wrong and disgusting. My daughter wears clothes that are made for children her age, she is dressed neatly, clean and respectful. I would not allow my child to dress like a street corner hooker like I have seen alot of parents do in fact I don't allow my daughter to hang with kids who dress like that.
I agree 100% I dont allow my children to hang out with kids (and mind you my oldest is only in second grade and we live in supposedly "THE" school district to be in)...that dress that way, and believe me there are alot of "nicolette sheridans" who come to school acting and talking like a teenager thinking they are cool. Its not cool.

Again, I am more of a prep ( NY and company, anne taylor, and they have clothing that is rather sexy in a classy way). My daughter loves limited too..but we make some SERIOUS compomises so she gets her fashion fix, and I get to keep my sanity. Its all about moderation.

BTW..The girls FATHER would never let them out of house with those cheeky shorts anyway...where are the dads in all this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting