Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:04 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,245,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Oh yes, those were the days. Nothing like having a harried, uneducated mother popping out more children than she wants and Dad coming home beating everyone because he's too tired and stressed from the burden of being the sole support of a family. Darn that feminism and it's ugly head.

You realize those changes were good for men, too, right? Being forced into rigid roles as breadwinners and disciplinarians was just as harmful for them as intelligent women being prohibited from obtaining an education and working. Society works best when it uses all the talents of all its members.

I'm 59 and have FAR too many friends who grew up afraid of, or at the very least, emotionally distant from their fathers. It's a pleasure to see my son and his friends have such better relationships with their dads than my generation did.
What many people don't understand is that it was THIS model (minus the beatings, which of course is for dramatic effect), is what allowed humanity to thrive and flourish and become the most successful species that ever walked the face of the earth. Too bad that these wonderfully "progressive" people will effectively destroy that in a fraction of the time.

Boys need to become men and that is best accomplished by being treated as a man not a baby. It is not necessary to tell children you love them if you show them and teaching them that words are cheap, baby, but walking the walk is what really matters.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-16-2013, 04:19 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,272,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What many people don't understand is that it was THIS model (minus the beatings, which of course is for dramatic effect), is what allowed humanity to thrive and flourish and become the most successful species that ever walked the face of the earth. Too bad that these wonderfully "progressive" people will effectively destroy that in a fraction of the time.

Boys need to become men and that is best accomplished by being treated as a man not a baby. It is not necessary to tell children you love them if you show them and teaching them that words are cheap, baby, but walking the walk is what really matters.

20yrsinBranson
Boys don't need to be emotionally or physically abused to become men. Denying them intimacy and love creates damaged people who do not contribute, but harm.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,298,989 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Horrible, horrible, horrible. The kid is 2. TWO! He's not a man. He's a baby and he should be loved by both parents. Walking the walk should include hugging his child, playing with his child, spending time with his child.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,113,838 times
Quote:
Woman working and husbands and wives being equals in raising and loving THEIR family is bringing about the end of civilization?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,908,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Your son is a person, not a pet.

Please put some effort into it, and give him the love and emotional security a child HAS to have.
I recommend treating your pets better than that too, unless you don't mind that one day, your dog bites your hand when you finally realize he might possibly enjoy a pat on the head.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,334,275 times
Quote:

I know Green Berets who consider this belief to be absolute nonsense. They tend to hug often, from the heart, and not worry about keeping arcane beliefs from the 50's when they're lovin' on their kids.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,954,813 times
When I read threads like this it make me realize why there are so many screwed up people in the world. I look at some of the ideas people have about the "right" way to raise their children and it makes me shudder.

Kids need love, understanding, and tenderness from BOTH of their parents. This BS that boys need to be treated hard so they grow up tough should have gone away with the dark ages. Some people simply should be prevented from procreating.

Don

Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,556,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAMS View Post
My son is 2 years old. I've never been very close to him especially because he's already asleep when I get home most days and he's still asleep when I leave him the morning.

I don't tolerate bad behaviour or impoliteness. I certainly won't be raising a spoiled brat like you see around so much these days. He knows that when I say no or tell him to stop, he'll suffer consequences if he doesn't comply. He does most of the time, though.

However, I notice that when he sees his mother at the end of the day, he spontaneously goes running to her for a hug whereas when he comes to me, he always looks down and asks if he can give me a kiss.

I thought this was normal and I think you shouldn't make him feel too at ease because his mother babies him so much already. However, my partner told me to watch carefully how he acts around me. She says he acts like a little soldier and not like a small boy around his father.

She also says she doesn't understand how I've never told him I love him. I mean, I never thought about it that way or that he would care much about it since she already smuggles him with hugging and kissing.

Do you think that it makes a difference him?
Are you serious? How you behave with your son now makes a huge difference to him, his life, what he thinks of you, how he will one day be as a father, and how he looks at you. First of all, he is only TWO. How can you have so man y expectations for a 2 yr. old? You should have been telling him and showing him that you love him since the day he was born. The fact that he is often asleep and you do not see him alot is an excuse as to why you are not close to him or never tell him you love him. There are fathers all over this country that do not see their children at all on a regular basis because of divorce or living far from them, but that doesn't mean they are not close to them and do not show their love to them whenever they talk to them or see them. Of course he runs to his mom and is much more responsive to her. She shows him love and he feels safe, secure, and loved by her. His response to you reeks of lack of trust and fear. If you ever want to have a decent relationship with your son you better start now and change your ways.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,821,737 times
Quote:
Prior to the industrial age, in a chiefly agrarian society children are considered of little value until such time as they are able to work in the fields. During the vast part of history, the common man (i.e. the farmer) worked in the fields from sun-up until sun-down and then ate dinner, and went to bed. I know that they did not have the time, nor were they particularly interested in having a meaningful relationship with a child who was too young to be useful. That's what wives/mothers were for.

Now, I will grant you that men who were higher up on the ladder economically *might* have had more interest in small children, but I doubt it. Until the late 19th century, children were a commodity to be utilized for economic benefit whether as apprentices, or cheap labor. Even in the upper class, historically, children were raised by hired help and shipped away to boarding schools until such time as they were old enough and schooled enough to make a contribution to the family (i.e. join the family business, get a job, etc.,) usually after their military service.

You didn't find all this touchy-feely business until child labor laws came into vogue and even then it wasn't until feminism began to raise its ugly head in the late 1930s and 1940s that this mentality that a man should take part in "nurturing" the children. Until then, dads mostly doled out the discipline and brought home the paycheck as his way of supporting his family.

20yrsinBranson
Holy eurocentric!

Your ridiculous misinformational version of history ignores most of the world, is incredibly over simplified, and is limited in scope to at best a century of the millions of years of human history.

Oh, and it does a huge disservice to real men and the boys THEY raise with affection, love, and real role models.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:38 PM

7,745 posts, read 12,688,118 times
Your making a grave mistake as a father not showing your son the affection he needs. He's going to grow up with serious identity issues. I bet if he was a girl, you'd be affectionate and less rigid with her. I know it because I've seen it first hand. My uncle is just like this. He had three children. 2 older boys and 1 younger girl. He was NEVER an affectionate father towards his sons. Always scolding them and judging them for everything they did wrong. Just being really strict without any love and affection. However with his daughter, he gave her lots of attention and hugs and spoiled her with affection. He was more lenient with her. Both his sons are now gay. They never had the love and affection of a male figure in their lives and now they seek out what they lost in other men. So you may want to think twice about how your treating and raising your son. They need just as much love and affection as girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting