Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do YOU FEEL About Your Parent(s)?
Love Dad, Detest Mom 16 8.79%
Love Mom, Detest Dad 10 5.49%
Love Mom, Love Dad 94 51.65%
Detest Mom, Detest Dad 7 3.85%
Only have Mom, Love Her 17 9.34%
Only have Mom, Detest her 6 3.30%
Only have Dad, Love Him 6 3.30%
Only have Dad, Detest Him 3 1.65%
Other - Explain in comments 23 12.64%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about your parents or if you only had one, that one parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
My dad has always had a hard time showing his emotions toward me but I forgive him. We're cool. My mom always means well but she's too narrow minded for me to enjoy speaking to.

If anything, I'll call my dad every other day.

I'm closer to my grandmother than I am my parents.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 PM

I created the poll to be present tense - please adjust it in your mind, if it should be past tense (if one or both of your parents are deceased).

Please also note your age.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
They are my parents and I love them. My dad has serious anger issues, but I still love him. I just can't be around him for more than a few hours at a time.

My husband's dad is dead and wishes his mother were. She was going to let him starve to death as a baby, so his dad asked his half-sister to raise him. He thinks of most of his sisters are moms, though, and would do anything for them.

I'm almost 26, and he's 30.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
They are my parents and I love them. My dad has serious anger issues, but I still love him. I just can't be around him for more than a few hours at a time.

My husband's dad is dead and wishes his mother were. She was going to let him starve to death as a baby, so his dad asked his half-sister to raise him. He thinks of most of his sisters are moms, though, and would do anything for them.

I'm almost 26, and he's 30.
When you say you "love" your dad, how does that love manifest? How do you know you love him, given you can't stand to be around him? I am just curious about what appears to be incongruent (not wanting to be around someone but "loving" them).

Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 PM

Ooops . . . I forgot to add other categories such as "lukewarm" for one or both and I don't know how to edit a poll, so if that is your situation, vote "other" and please explain in comments.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
When you say you "love" your dad, how does that love manifest? How do you know you love him, given you can't stand to be around him? I am just curious about what appears to be incongruent (not wanting to be around someone but "loving" them).
I can stand to be around him. I love hanging out with him. However, being with him for too long gives more opportunity for him to lose his temper (usually toward his current wife). You also don't have to like being around a person to love that person. I can't stand being around my maternal grandma most of the time, but I still love her.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I can stand to be around him. I love hanging out with him. However, being with him for too long gives more opportunity for him to lose his temper (usually toward his current wife). You also don't have to like being around a person to love that person. I can't stand being around my maternal grandma most of the time, but I still love her.
I wish you could shed more light on this because I have no idea how it is possible. It makes no sense to me.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Like and love are two different things. I don't like many things about my dad and grandma, but I will always love them. One time I said something about my grandma liking me, and my uncle got all bent out of shape saying, "How can you think you grandma doesn't love you?" She loves me but doesn't like two things about me (religion and husband's race, but religion is the big one) that change the way she treats me.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Like and love are two different things. I don't like many things about my dad and grandma, but I will always love them. One time I said something about my grandma liking me, and my uncle got all bent out of shape saying, "How can you think you grandma doesn't love you?" She loves me but doesn't like two things about me (religion and husband's race, but religion is the big one) that change the way she treats me.
To me, like and love and dislike and hate are on a continuum.

Love is on one end and hate is on the other end . . .next to love is like - but dislike is on the other end of the spectrum.

I can't conceive of saying you "love" someone that you don't really have affection for (meaning fond feelings).

If the person died, would you really miss them? Or would you be relieved? Do they enhance your life, or take away from it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships