Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times

Advertisements

You know, even within the dental industry its known that fluoridated water is a totally indirect way to benefit the teeth. Fluoride has to be right on the teeth to help them -- so basically you have to have fluoride in your saliva from drinking tap water for the benefit -which means the fluoride is system-wide in your body.

There are products now that directly apply fluoride and other minerals to the teeth, to help them fight cavities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,637 times
Default Fluoride highly toxic

"When historians come to write about this period, they will single out fluoridation as the single biggest mistake in public policy that we've ever had." - Paul Connett, PhD, Biochemistry

"Water fluoridation is the single largest case of scientific fraud, promoted by the government, supported by taxpayer dollars, aided and abetted by the ADA and the AMA, in the history of the planet." - David Kennedy, DDS President International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology

"Sodium fluoride is a registered rat poison and roach poison. It has been a protected pollutant for a very long time." - William Hirzy, PhD President of the Union of Professional Employees of the EPA

"sodium fluoride is a very toxic chemical, acting as an enzyme poison, direct irritant and calcium inactivator ... .It reacts with growing tooth enamel and with bones to produce irreversible damage." - Granville Knight, MD president of the American Academy of Nutrition, Congressional Record, 31 July 56

"I am appalled at the prospect of using water as a vehicle for drugs. Fluoride is a corrosive poison that will produce serious effects on a long range basis. Any attempt to use water this way is deplorable." - Charles Gordon Heyd, MD, president, AMA

How did fluoride get it's start in the USA? Back in the 1930's, the freemason Andrew Mellon who earlier founded Alcoa Aluminum got himself appointed Secretary of the Treasury. What a nice guy! He gave up the "high life" to serve the public. Or perhaps there was another reason why Mr Mellon decided to take the job of Secretary of the Treasury? If you answered, "Of course", you are correct. You see, at that time, the US Public Health Service (USPHS) was under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Treasury . Mellon also started the " Mellon Institute" to study the environment around this same time. In 1931, a Mellon Institute REPORT by Gerald Cox suggested that 1 PPM fluoride added to drinking water would be good for the teeth. That was it. No studies, no comparisons, no data, just a report by an organization funded by ALCOA. All previous research studies had shown that fluoride was toxic, and all studies since then suggest the same thing. The USPHS also sponsored some research put out by their Dr. HT Dean which manipulated data so that it "proved" that this same figure of 1 PPM resulted in reduction of tooth decay. So now there were two studies, one by Cox and one by Dean, both funded by agencies controlled by ALCOA, both supporting this arbitrary figure of 1 PPM fluoride that should be added to the water to lower tooth decay without even 1 study! That was it. They've been dumping their toxic byproduct into our drinking water ever since. Rather than have to pay to dispose of the toxic waste they could now make money from their toxic waste! What a deal, eh?

If putting fluoride in water wasn't bad enough, the drug companies also put this known toxin in many drugs which all end up killing or harming people. Go to: [url=http://poisonfluoride.com/pfpc/html/index_drugs.html]Index Drugs[/url] and read about fluoride containing drugs to see how many deaths or suicides (remember, fluoride is neurotoxin) they've caused. Here are a few highlights:

FOLLOWING the recent withdrawal of the cholesterol-lowering drug Lipobay, there is now a new perspective to the issue, the drug being a fluoride-containing compound. The drug, also known by its generic name, cerivastatin, is one of the many such compounds pulled off the shelves in the last few years.

Cerivastatin was taken off because of at least 40 deaths worldwide, 31 in the US alone (Poison Control, Aug 19).

According to a recently released commentary by a Canadian group, Parents of Fluoride Poisoned Children , a series of fluoride-containing drugs or so-called fluorinated drugs have been withdrawn from the market in the last 10 years due to their toxic effects on human beings.

One notable example is the combination "Fen-Phen" (a generic combination of fenfluramine and phentermine, the former being a fluorinated drug type) which was said to have weight-reducing effects. Others are dexfenfluramine (Redux) and fenfluramine (Pondimin).

There are at least eight other examples of fluorinated drugs withdrawn so far, because serious side-effects on the heart, and for suspected adverse influence on thyroid hormone activity.

They include, last year, cisapride (Propulsid) because of its severe side-effects on the heart. In 1999, two drugs were withdrawn.

These were an anti-allergy drug, astemizole (Hismanal); and grepafloxacin (an antibiotic, Raxar) because they too were associated with similar adverse events.

In 1998, patients with congestive heart failure using the drug mibedrafil (Posicor) showed a trend to higher mortality, causing it to be withdrawn.

Alredase (Tolrestat, an anti-diabetic) was withdrawn in 1997 after the appearance of severe liver toxicity and deaths among several patients. In the same year too fenfluramine (part of Fen-Phen) and dexfenfluramine were withdrawn.

In 1993, flosequinan (Manoplax, a heart drug) was withdrawn when it was shown that the beneficial effects on the symptoms of heart failure did not last beyond the first three months of therapy. After that, patients had a higher rate of hospitalisation than patients taking a placebo.

Of the many fluorinated drugs that remain in the market some carry warnings of serious cardiac toxicity, for instance halofantrine, a schizonticidal drug. More specifically, other fluorinated drugs, though they have not been withdrawn, are known to cause muscle wasting or rhabdomyolysis, like cerivastatin.

For instance, the PFPC commentary noted that the fluorinated antibiotic fluoroquinolone, used to treat infections, is reported to cause tendonitis and rhabdomyolysis.

In fact product information for such antibiotics (enoxacin, fleroxacin, norfloxacin, sparfloxacin, and tosufloxacin) was amended in Japan in October 1994, to state that rhabdomyolysis may occur.

Reportedly, the tragic story involving fluorinated drugs (the fluorophenyls in particular, initially limited to industrial use involving dyes and pesticides) can be traced way back to the 1930s when they were used to treat hyperthyroidism.

The use followed a discovery by IG Farben (Bayer) and Knoll's scientists that all fluoride compounds can interfere with thyroid hormone activity.

In the liver especially, organic fluoride compounds undergo extensive transformation, mainly via oxidative demethylation, involving the thyroid hormone (T3) mediated P-450 enzyme system. And the resulting metabolites may have higher activity and/or greater toxicity than the original compound.

The activity of organic fluoride compounds on the P-450 enzyme system is critical as it relates to the elimination of many other drugs. Inhibition of these enzymes can cause other drugs to accumulate to dangerous levels in the body, leading to hazardous drug-drug interactions. In many cases fluorinated drugs are being implicated as documented in hundreds of well-established studies.

Moreover, adds PFPC, the metabolites produced by organic fluoride compounds in the liver can be tranferred to the foetus through various pathways, including circulatory via placental passage, gastrointestinal via foetal swallowing, and respiratory secondary to foetal lung absorption. This may lead to congenital abnormalities as in the case of fluconsazole (Diflucan).

In short, going by the above evidence, fluorinated drugs seem to pose a number of risks associated with the fluorine or fluoride contained in them. It raises even more concern when fluoride itself is present in many industries and products, including food and drinks, without any evaluation or monitoring.

And here's the kicker, fluoride is just one of the thousands of toxins at their disposal for population control! Still think the AMA, FDA, and CDC are going to protect you? Think that at your own peril. You must take charge of your own health with natural, organic products and eat good natural food in order to maintain optimal health. Heaven forbid a "universal healthcare" system be set-up to force this evil upon us. If so, god help us all!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:22 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,514 times
I read strawberryfield's post and . I wonder these questions myself. Since becoming a mother, I've struggled with what's convenient for me and what I think is the right thing to feed my children. I don't want to restrict my kids until they feel uncomfortable. I will not forget the time my daughter took something to eat in her lunch and it came home at the end of the day. She said she'd had a bad day and when I pushed, she told me that the other kids were making fun of her lunch (which was purchased with all ingredients from the health food market.

I try my hardest to feed them organic everything. We only eat fish, no meat. But with all my diligence, time spent preparing meals and snacks, multiple time-consuming visits to markets -- I still get criticized by my pediatrician that I'm not doing enough (this week it was that they don't drink enough milk).

No matter how hard I try, there will always be a naysayer out there or a new study contradicting everything I've been doing. It's so frustrating.

My husband and I made the choice to have our children vaccinated. We discussed it, talked to friends and our pediatrician. I think if I had a son, I would have really worried about this more (I've read that males have more reactions/issues from the vaccines than females). When my daughter was 18 mos., she was given a flu shot and had a horrible reaction. She had trouble breathing, was in a full pneumonia situation following the shot and hospitalized. The doctor said it was a rare reaction. Now, I refuse to have any of my other children given the flu shot and I've been told that I'm "ridiculous" to feel this way because that was an anomaly. Anomaly or not--I don't want one of those shots near my child ever again.

Getting back to the original question -- I think it's tough to be diligent all the time. But if you're going to get on a soapbox, you have to be prepared to live what you're spouting. And if you're going to blow hot air about healthy living, the environment, etc., then you need to respect YOURSELF 100% of the time.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 AM

82 posts, read 358,647 times
Im anti vax myself, I buy as much organic as I can, and have you tasted meat now from organic grass fed animals? Wow it tastes so much better as to free range eggs from chickens. Im big on vitamins and herbal supplements, I dont keep large amounts of sugary snacks in the home, I dont buy artificial sweetener products (aspartame, sucralose, etc) Im wary of antibiotics unless absolutely necessary and understand we have a lot of problems today with overproduction of yeast in our systems and killing off the good bacteria and not replacing it, I give the kids one hour of video/computer time a day, we dont have cable, I monitor which movies they can watch and are age appropriate, so yes for me it IS a lifestyle, its not just a choice to NOT vaccinate, its about educating oneself and giving your children the best possible life you can and giving the best possible healthy start in this world.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,629 times
Anti-vax here as well....but wish I had started that at the time my kids were born instead of waiting until two of them were diagnosed with autism before doing the research and learning that it might have been a bad decision. I think the big issue about the vaccinations though, is that they are "required" for daycare and public schools. As a parent, I do not like being dictated to when it comes to my child's health. REQUIRING vaccinations is what sticks in my crawl. For my kids to attend school I have to go an extra step to acquire a state affadavit exempting them from the vaccinations....and for what???.....to cover the school's butt! So, Okay...I get the affadavit....it's worth it to me for my kids to not have to receive any further vaccinations. For all the *other* health issues....those are MY choice....preservatives, red dye, artificial sweetner....those are choices ....but the vaccine thing, that is imposed, and not appreciated.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:22 AM

31 posts, read 144,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree that a lot of people today just have not seen what these diseases can do to people and how horrible many of them really are.

The reasons these diseases are so rare is because of the vaccines. You stop vaccinating a large number of people and these diseases will pop right back up again. Vaccines were relatively new when I was a child and we saw cases of measles, mumps, etc. I had mumps as a child and wouldn't wish that one ANYONE. The complications and the risks of having the disease at anytime FAR outway the potential reactions to the vaccines. Yes, some people experience problems with the vaccine but imagine how much worse it would be for them if they actually contracted rubella or whatever.

As for the rise in autism, etc. Study after study has shown no correlation between the two. What HAS happened is that more people have learned to recognize the symptoms for autism, etc. and more kids are being diagnosed as a result. I remember plenty of kids growing up that were probably autistic to some degree but were just classified as 'slow'. As for ADD, sorry but that is the most over-diagnosed condition today. I have seen plenty of kids that are truly ADD/ADHD and 99% if the kids that have that diagnosis really aren't. Most of their behavioral issues can be attributed to other things like lack of sleep, etc. but by giving them a diagnosis lets parents off the hook for the kids lack of success in school or their misbehavior.

THe kids that are truly ADD/ADHD have a very tough life and because of the over diagnosis today really suffer because they can't get the access needed to the special help they need because other kids are taking up the resources that don't really need them.
If this is true, then why did a major pharmaceutical company recently award a settlement to a family with an autistic child for damages? Studies are tricky things, you can pretty much skew them to show anything you want them to. For me the proof is in the experiences. My son was a happy, socially engaging child until he was about 18 months old and received another MMR and a flu shot while he had an ear infection. Now he has autism, and I will NEVER vaccinate again. My older son developed an autoimmune disorder shortly after vaccination as well.

RecovringKrspyKremeAddict-Great post! Rep points for you!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 AM

82 posts, read 358,647 times
Default Waivers

You can sign a waiver to opt out for vaccinations, you mark the religious reasons box on the back of a vacciantion form, all schools, etc have them or get a copy online. You basically sign and agree if there is any outbreak your child will be sent home.

My kids are now high school. Ive never had a school give me a problem, public or private or any other activities my kids have been involved in.

Also, I have a girlfriend who traveled overseas, her parents are a dr and a nurse and didnt vaccinate her, She is a grown woman today, but she went all thru the school system and later traveled to Israel for studies, she just has to get a chest x ray for tuberculosis(thats the other way to prove you dont have it) other then that she wasnt required to do anything else for a passport citing religious reasons.

Read up, I think its more fear, but there are alternatives, sure I hear it each year "Bring your vaccination records" everywhere I go or at the schools, I just show up with my signed waiver and say "We dont vaccinate" and the nurses say Okay. Even if you have one who is snippy, oh well, you do have a choice.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmommy View Post
If this is true, then why did a major pharmaceutical company recently award a settlement to a family with an autistic child for damages? Studies are tricky things, you can pretty much skew them to show anything you want them to. For me the proof is in the experiences. My son was a happy, socially engaging child until he was about 18 months old and received another MMR and a flu shot while he had an ear infection. Now he has autism, and I will NEVER vaccinate again. My older son developed an autoimmune disorder shortly after vaccination as well.

RecovringKrspyKremeAddict-Great post! Rep points for you!
Because it was cheaper for the company to just pay the family then it was to go through the lawsuit.

A lot of the 'correlation' between autism and vaccines come from the fact that autism shows up roughly the same time as vaccines are given. Autism generally shows up around 18 months of age. If vaccines cause autism then why aren't there more people in MY generation with autism. We all had vaccines, no one didn't vaccinate unless there was a strong medical reason.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/4728_lores-1.jpg/200px-4728_lores-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,488 times
It is one particular vaccine that is "Under suspicion" and that is the MMR. In the past there were the 3 single jabs for Mums, Measles and Rubella and they did not seem to cause any problem. it was when the MMR was introduced that some parents started to notice the connection between the vaccination and the development of Autism.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,557,786 times
Another reason, and this is what I believe, so take it for what it's worth, is that there are many more vaccines that are required now than there were when I was a kid. I was never given 4 vaccinations in one sitting, even when I was older, much less at 3 or 6 MONTHS old! This is just too much for some children, some of which may have a genetic disposition to such diseases. Here is why I believe this:

I have an autistic son. He was developing normally, and we thought he was going to be an early walker. At age 8 months, we found out he was deaf. Well, there are lots of "normal" deaf kids, we can deal with that. But when he went from sitting on his own and scooting at one year to nearly being in a vegetative state by 15 months, we were concerned! (check your vaccination schedules... ) By the time we finally got a disgnosis of autism, he was three years old, and still not quite walking on his own yet. We've been able to forcefully commandeer some fabulous services, and this child who was so far behind will be graduating form the 8th grade next Wednesday at age 14, ON TIME, and headed to high school on the honor roll! He's still non-verbal, and the combination of deafness and autism is a real communication double-whammy. He'll never be able to live what the rest of us consider a normal life, but the life that's normal for him makes him very happy, and me very proud!

Fast forward to 2002. I had another son, and with everything surrounding my older boy, I took NO chances. We did vaccinate, but only up to that 15-month MMR, meaning we stopped at 12 months. I cannot prove it, but I firmly believe that decision saved my younger son from his brother's fate. They have a lot of the same natural mannerisms. They are a lot alike in a lot of ways. Without the ability to observe both of them, I really can't explain it, but I think not giving him something that was supposed to "protect" him may have indirectly saved his life.

The school district called last week. There is a child in my boy's school that has the chicken pox. Because we're in non-compliance, they called to let me know. I appreciate that. Then, she said that if I'd vaccinate him, that would take care of the non-compliance calls. I made a passing comment that my older kids were vaccinated, and they both still got them anyway. The nurse paused, then said, "Well, actually, I guess the boy that has them now was vaccinated as well, because he's marked as in compliance." Wait, so I should expose my son to this stuff because you said so, and then have him get the disease anyway, just for the fun of it??? (We are considered non-compliant because I would not sign the religious beliefs waiver. This is not a religious belief, it's a very strong personal belief. Why should I have to claim that it's my religion, as opposed to my common sense?)

BTW, we do purchase local, grass-fed meats, and until we moved, I grew my own vegetables. Now, I go to the farmer's market down the road. Bottled water. I cook with fresh ingredients. No one's diet is perfect, especially mine, but I will do what I can to help protect my children, so that they can grow up safe and healthy. So sue me.

~D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting