Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 PM

620 posts, read 1,750,982 times

Advertisements

I realize their has been a lot of discussions about this topic and I don't know if this story has been addressed, but I think it speaks for itself. I just don't understand why parents don't get their kids vaccinated. Below is the intro and a link to the full article. My heart goes out to the parents, but i bet they wished they had thier child vaccinated.

A childhood illness that has mostly been curbed through vaccinations has killed one child and sickened four others in Minnesota, health officials said Friday.

The five children were infected with a bacterial infection known as Hib: Haemophilus influenzae type b.

Three of the affected children had not received any vaccinations, including the 7-month-old who died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"The situation is of concern," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease at the CDC. "It could be happening elsewhere, and of course it's tragic that one of the children actually died from a preventable disease."

Hib primarily affects infants and children under 5 years of age. The vaccine prevents pneumonia, epiglottis (severe throat infection) and meningitis, which is an infection of the covering of the brain and spinal cord, caused by the bacteria.

One in 20 children infected with Hib dies, according to the CDC. And survivors of the disease can become deaf; 10 to 30 percent have permanent brain damage.

Rare sickness kills child; officials urge vaccination - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,236,593 times
I love all these new threads on each individual vaccine

I selectively vaccinate.

This is a vaccine that me and my husband chose NOT to SKIP.

Too many kids who become infected from the disease in which the vaccine protects against dies.

I feel that the benifits associated with THIS vaccine outway the risks.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,077,520 times
Lordie another vaccine thread. Good Luck. They will crucify you.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:00 AM

24 posts, read 39,289 times
Some families live a life of strict dieting and healthy living. Some families that are religious find that it's against their religion. It's all about your beliefs. If you think you need it because some one tells you you need it, then go for it. If you believe the authorities lie to you to get you to take something that you don't need, then don't take it. There are 101 reasons why going both ways.

You bring up a case about one child dieing and a few others getting sick. What about the cases of children dieing form the disease right after getting the shots?

Take a look at the Manufacturer’s Inserts and efficacy statements: Pedvax HIB- Efficacy of Hib ranged from 59-98%

Only a extremely small fraction of those who harbor this organism will subsequently develop the disease. The Hib bacterium is widespread in humans. Along with other bacteria, it usually lives in the throat and nose without causing illness. In rare cases, though, the bacterium breaks through the body's defenses and causes disease. So only through the compromise of the immune system is the bacterium able to take hold.

"One of the infected children, a 5-month old, had not completed the three-dose series of the vaccination, and a 15-month old child had received all doses but had an immune deficiency."

A study was done and looked at fifty-five children who had contracted invasive HiB at least three weeks after they had been vaccinated. Thirty-nine of these children developed Meningitis, of whom three died. The CDC says further investigation is necessary to evaluate the meaning of Hib cases found soon after vaccination. They warn that physicians should be aware that "cases may occur in the week after vaccination, prior to onset of the protective effects of the vaccine." That study has still not been conducted.

A Finnish study of 114,000 children, found that those who received four doses of the vaccine had a higher incidence of Type 1 Diabetes than those who received only one dose.

Sign In

In a more disturbing study Hib may be changing and becoming more virulent do to vaccination. Viruses want to stay alive just like anything else in nature and to do this they must adapt. We have great concern for the increasing prevalence of relatively or absolutely penicillin resistant pneumococci coupled with the increased relative frequency of pneumococcal diseases as a result of universal Haemophilus vaccination.

"RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PREVALENCE OF PNEUMOCOCCAL MENINGITIS AND UNIVERSAL HAEMOPHILUS INFLUENZA VACCINATION"

In the Paediatric Infectious Disease Journal newsletter (1992;18:6) concern was expressed "...for the increasing prevalence of relatively or absolutely penicillin resistant pneumococci coupled with the increased relative frequency of pneumococcal diseases as a result of universal Haemophilus vaccination. For example, we recently managed a nine month old infant with pneumococcal meningitis who failed to respond adequately to ceftriaxone therapy."

These sentences could be taken to mean that concern was prompted by an increase in prevalence of diseases including meningitis due to infection with penicillin-resistant pneumococci and that the increase resulted from universal Haemophilus vaccination. How or why one circumstance resulted in the other is not given in the quoted sentences nor given elsewhere in the newsletter note. That prior administration of Haemophilus vaccine might increase on rare occasions susceptibility to pneumococcus infection was not entertained.

The sentences might also mean that universal Haemophilus vaccination resulted in a decrease in Haemophilus diseases including meningitis and that the void was filled by an increase in pneumococcal diseases caused by antibiotic resistant pneumococci. If this is the explanation, then solution of one problem has given rise to another and this new problem is difficult to treat with available antibiotics which gives rise to a new need: antibiotics that are active against pneumococcal strains that invade difficult to treat sites like the meninges and heart valves.

This apparent one step forward-one step backward situation is reminiscent of similar problems that accompanied early use in the 1960’s of inactivated adenovirus vaccines to prevent respiratory diseases caused by adenovirus types 3, 4 and 7. The vaccines were highly effective in preventing disease caused by these types, but not effective in preventing respiratory diseases caused by the other 40 or more adenoviruses that moved in to replace types 3, 4 and 7. Soon after this situation was recognised, use of adenovirus vaccines, except for use in military personnel, was abandoned. It might be well when assessing the overall value of the current program of universal Haemophilus vaccination, to keep in mind the earlier adenovirus vaccine experience.

J. Anthony Morris, Ph.D. Bell of Atri, Inc.

June 1992 Newsletter Journal of Paediatric Infectious Disease (JPID)

Pneumococcus is a far more serious disease, and far more untreatable, with more antibiotic resistance than Hib ever had, and the vaccinated majority would be responsible for passing this on to both the unvaccinated minority and the older community. So lets just trade one minor thing for something far worse.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,768,512 times
I sincerely hope you cut and pasted much of that... that was too wordy to read the whole thing .

And my 2 cents: we vaccinate - the kids, the dog, the cats, ourselves .

Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,245,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I sincerely hope you cut and pasted much of that... that was too wordy to read the whole thing .

And my 2 cents: we vaccinate - the kids, the dog, the cats, ourselves .

You are a wise person !

Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,816,183 times
I've actually been wondering whether or not a parent could be considered to be abusing or even committing murder by refusing to give their child a vaccine for a disease that they later die or have a permanent disability from.

The anti-vaccine crowd is rather vocal and hardline and it makes me wonder how long until the situation above happens. Vegan parents have been tried and convicted of neglect and even murder for forcing their infants to consume a vegan diet when the infants either became incredibly ill or died. That is a lifestyle choice and IMO is similar to the decision not to vaccinate.

Just something to think about.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,009,540 times
I do have a problem with the HIB vaccine for infants:

Most normal infants are at low risk for this disease. Infant infections are typically found only in babies born to a Hepatitis B-positive mother, and tests can determine who carries or is infected with the virus. By screening the mothers, only those babies who are at risk would need to be vaccinated at birth.

The World Health Organization only recommends this vaccine for infants in areas where the carrier rate is 2% or more and this does not apply in the US.

While I certainly believe that vaccination for many other diseases are necessary for infants, this one is not a particularly good idea.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Vegan parents have been tried and convicted of neglect and even murder for forcing their infants to consume a vegan diet when the infants either became incredibly ill or died.
What? Are you serious? Please show me the court documents of this, because that is a complete lie. On the contrary, I'm not vegan. I just don't eat the garbage processed meat from Wall-mart and the likes, as they mostly are all GM foods shipped from China.

There are more children that had serious adverse reactions, hospitalized, or died after vaccination, all documented with the VAERS, then actual hospitalizations or deaths from any of the diseases each year. It is also noted that the VAERS only holds 10% of all the actual cases. Not talking about the Flu either.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I do have a problem with the HIB vaccine for infants:

Most normal infants are at low risk for this disease. Infant infections are typically found only in babies born to a Hepatitis B-positive mother, and tests can determine who carries or is infected with the virus. By screening the mothers, only those babies who are at risk would need to be vaccinated at birth.

The World Health Organization only recommends this vaccine for infants in areas where the carrier rate is 2% or more and this does not apply in the US.

While I certainly believe that vaccination for many other diseases are necessary for infants, this one is not a particularly good idea.

The Hib vaccine and the Hep B vaccine are two different things. Ones a virus, Hepatitis B, only contracted the same way HIV is. The other is a bacteria infection, Haemophilus influenzae type b.

I do agree with you that the Hep B vaccine is the worse thing to inject in a child. Then again it's the first one they receive before even leaving the hospital after birth. The hepatitis B vaccine was effectively mandated in 1991 for universal immunization of newborn babies by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) -- an adjunct of the CDC. Paradoxically, the CDC's own Fact Sheet on the hepatitis B disease does not include newborn babies as a risk group for that disease. That Fact Sheet lists the risk groups as injection drug users, homosexual men, sexually active heterosexuals, infant/children of immigrants from disease-endemic areas, low socio-economic level, sexual/household contacts of infected persons, infants born to infected mothers, health care workers and hemodialysis patients NOT NEWBORN BABIES.

In 1996 only 54 cases of the disease were reported to the CDC in the 0-1 age group. There were 3.9 million births that year, so the observed incidence of hepatitis B in the 0-1 age group was just 0.001%. In the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), there were 1,080 total reports of adverse reactions from hepatitis B vaccine in 1996 in the 0-1 age group, with 47 deaths reported. Total VAERS hepatitis B reports for the 0-1 age group outnumber reported cases of the disease 20 to 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting