Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:52 PM

274 posts, read 198,001 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else here not trust vaccines given to kids? My wife and i have decided to not let our son due anyday now have any vaccines after what i have seen on the news and read about the rise of autism linked to them. Our daughter who is 2 won't be getting any more as well...do any of you do the same? have you sworn off vaccines?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,994,702 times
There are several threads about this... they tend to get out of control, with fear-mongering and misinformation on both sides.

Here's the latest one: https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...vaccinate.html

There are also some in the Health and Wellness forum.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 PM

650 posts, read 2,181,650 times
I agree with beanandpumpkin. Moderator cut: partial cut

We have decided, after many hours of reading and research, not to continue vaccinating our children. My oldest daughter is up to date until she is a teen, my younger daughter never got her 5 year boosters, my older son had a select few vaccines, and my younger son is completely unvaxed. My hubby and I personally feel we would rather take our chances with these (often mild) diseases than pump all of these known toxic substances into our children.

This is a really hot button topic and a decision that most anti-vaxing families don't come by lightly. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by jeannie216; 01-17-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
Does anyone else here not trust vaccines given to kids? My wife and i have decided to not let our son due anyday now have any vaccines after what i have seen on the news and read about the rise of autism linked to them. Our daughter who is 2 won't be getting any more as well...do any of you do the same? have you sworn off vaccines?
I have / had no qualms whatsoever about having my children / grandchildren vaccinated.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,234,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I agree with beanandpumpkin. Tread cautiously with this thread or the pro-vax crowd will eat you alive!

We have decided, after many hours of reading and research, not to continue vaccinating our children. My oldest daughter is up to date until she is a teen, my younger daughter never got her 5 year boosters, my older son had a select few vaccines, and my younger son is completely unvaxed. My hubby and I personally feel we would rather take our chances with these (often mild) diseases than pump all of these known toxic substances into our children.

This is a really hot button topic and a decision that most anti-vaxing families don't come by lightly. Good luck with your decision.

Moderator cut: partial cut

My daughter hasn't gotten CERTAIN vaccines. Some are NOT necessary at all, especially for babies.

NO Hep A or B, NO flu, NO varicell (chicken pox), No MMR.

Hey 2girldsand2boys, do you homeschool? what state do you live in if not? I'm confused about the laws in MY state. Illinois has religious AND philosophical exemptions. But I'm trying to find out if it's an "all or nothing" type deal. I don't want ALL vaccines, but I don't one NONE either.

Good luck on your choice OP. A good book to read is

Don't Vaccinate. Before You Educate. By Mayer Eisenstein I believe.

Dr Sears also has a good site to look into.

Don't just take ONE doctor's word and make a decision based on that. And don't let people pressure you into giving your kid a vaccine just so other people save money. (The Varicella vaccine is for people who can't afford to take off work to care for their children. Chicken Pox cost alot of people money with sick days and time off. Chicken Pox DOES NOT kill healthy children! Only 50 kids died last year and the year before and so on.......And it was because they were not healthy or recieved the wrong treatment; they recieved asprin and antibiotics when they shouldn't have. They were treated with anti-fever meds when they shouldn't have been causing MANY complications.)

Don't Vaccinate Before You Educate!

AskDrSears - The Vaccine Book (http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/labels/Alternative%20Vaccine%20Schedule.asp - broken link)

Chicken Pox: Why do Children Die? (http://www.garynull.com/documents/Vaccines/ChickenPoxWhy.htm - broken link)

I must add that it is your decision and I respect anyone who vaccinates and anyone who doesn't and for whatever reasons they have to support their choices.

Last edited by jeannie216; 01-17-2009 at 06:42 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,935,845 times
We are a vaxing family, though we delay some vaxes. There are many reasons why people choose to delay or skip vaxing that are unrelated to autism. My reasons are surrounding when my child's immune system is mature enough to make the best response to the vaccine, therefore I do not vax at birth and I delay live vaccines as long as the state will let me (and still allow me to use daycare).

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,994,702 times
Quote:
Hey 2girldsand2boys, do you homeschool? what state do you live in if not? I'm confused about the laws in MY state. Illinois has religious AND philosophical exemptions. But I'm trying to find out if it's an "all or nothing" type deal. I don't want ALL vaccines, but I don't one NONE either.
I'm not 2G&2B, but her profile says "Maine" and I do believe she homeschools... if you do homeschool, the vaccination requirements don't apply to you.

You can probably find some good info about the laws on the vaccination forum at mothering.com.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,135,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
No I haven't, i have limited them. But personally would never deprive my kid of protection against diseases that i feel are relevant when they are age appropriate.

I personally believe it is not solely vaccine that causes autism *especially now* but a number of environmental factors mixed into the genetic makeup of each individual child.

I would suggest also changing all home products for cleaning and such to all GREEN ones if you are really worried about autism affecting your family.

Good luck with your decisions. I know we all hope are are making the best decisions for our children.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,772,509 times
No, we have no qualms about vaccinations. Our middle child is autistic (PDD-NOS, actually), but I don't believe there's any link between her condition and vaccinations. She has had problems since birth. I had a full-term, uneventful pregnancy, and so far no one has had any clues about why our child is how she is.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:25 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,826,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
No I haven't, i have limited them. But personally would never deprive my kid of protection against diseases that i feel are relevant when they are age appropriate.

I personally believe it is not solely vaccine that causes autism *especially now* but a number of environmental factors mixed into the genetic makeup of each individual child.

I would suggest also changing all home products for cleaning and such to all GREEN ones if you are really worried about autism affecting your family.

Good luck with your decisions. I know we all hope are are making the best decisions for our children.
I think moderation is the key. The vaccine schedule is a much longer list now than it was when I was a child and I have my doubts about the necessity of many of the new additions. I find the reasons for a chickenpox vaccination to be less than compelling, for example. Does anyone remember the days when a cousin or friend came down with chickenpox and you were encouraged to go over to the cousin/friend's home and play Nintendo for a few hours? We will take our chances with chickenpox. Influenza? Why?

Measles, mumps and rubella can have very serious and debilitating complications. That one makes sense to me. Polio. Makes sense. We will take our chances with the vaccine.

No statistical analysis indicating a significant relationship between autism and vaccines has been vetted. It is not clear that there is any relationship between the two, either way. Autism spectrum is poorly understood and rising rates of diagnosis can be just as easily explained by increased awareness of the condition among PCP's and parents or by the increased instances of advanced maternal age as by any alteration to "standard" vaccination schedules.

What is important to remember is that it is your child and you must do what you feel is in the child's best interest. Whatever your decision, this is not something to be taken lightly and as a parent you need to be satisfied that your course of action was that of a parent who has informed and educated him/herself to the greatest extent possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting