Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartheiser View Post
What? Are you serious? Please show me the court documents of this, because that is a complete lie. On the contrary, I'm not vegan. I just don't eat the garbage processed meat from Wall-mart and the likes, as they mostly are all GM foods shipped from China.

There are more children that had serious adverse reactions, hospitalized, or died after vaccination, all documented with the VAERS, then actual hospitalizations or deaths from any of the diseases each year. It is also noted that the VAERS only holds 10% of all the actual cases. Not talking about the Flu either.
Probably not very often, but....

Vegan Parents Get Life in Prison for Death of Son

It was reported on Fox News as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 PM

24 posts, read 39,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Probably not very often, but....

Vegan Parents Get Life in Prison for Death of Son

It was reported on Fox News as well.
Now you have to look at the bigger picture.
There was a conviction, the only problem is being a vegan had absolutely nothing to do with this. Just love how it was spun with the media though.

"The jury was told that Crown was born in at home in a bathtub. The couple's apartment is just across the street from a hospital and the boy never received professional medical care. Fulton prosecutor Chuck Boring said: No matter how many times they want to say, we're vegans, we're vegetarians, that's not the issue in this case. The child died because he was not fed. Period."

Let alone was born in a fricking bath tub with no medical attention. Come on I think that says it all. Just got to think how sanitary was that tub, let alone what ever they used to big the baby into this world. There could of be numourous issues with the baby just from that, not just from feeding it. Did they have insurance which is the reason why they didn't go to the hospital right across the street? What kind of housing situation did they live in.. i.e. low income housing? How clean was the home in which they lived in? There are a million and one questions to ask, which I'm sure was brought up in court. Simple fact of the matter being vegan had nothing to do with this. Also who in the heck would feed a new born baby apple juice, even if its organic, that's just dumb. I think the prosecuting attorney in the case said it all on his closing statement. "They're not vegans, they're baby killers."

My wife is a vegetarian and our son is beyond perfect health. I know quite a few people that are vegans and have perfectly healthy babies. This story is about a couple completely neglecting the health of the baby and deserves what they got.

It has nothing to do with being a vegan.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Now you have to look at the bigger picture.
There was a conviction, the only problem is being a vegan had absolutely nothing to do with this. Just love how it was spun with the media though.

My wife is a vegetarian and our son is beyond perfect health. I know quite a few people that are vegans and have perfectly healthy babies. This story is about a couple completely neglecting the health of the baby and deserves what they got.

It has nothing to do with being a vegan.
I think the problem has to do with being properly educated about diet though. I am sure that one *can* be perfectly healthy as a pregnant vegan, but I do think that some people who are vegetarian don't figure in the extra nutrition that is needed. Hopefully, most do, at least in the US.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,141 times
Anyone who would dare describe HIB as "minor" clearly knows nothing nothing about the disease.

Here, educate yourself:

Hib Vaccine and Immunization Information

Prior to universal Hib immunization, Hib was the most common cause of bacterial meningitis in infants and preschool-age children, and caused approximately 20,000 cases of invasive disease annually.

HIB is dangerous. HiB kills and maims babies. Skipping the vaccine is just plain stupid.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 AM

24 posts, read 39,246 times
Quote:
I think the problem has to do with being properly educated about diet though. I am sure that one *can* be perfectly healthy as a pregnant vegan, but I do think that some people who are vegetarian don't figure in the extra nutrition that is needed. Hopefully, most do, at least in the US.

I completely agree with you that people need to know the amounts of nutrients that they need to provide for there child during pregnancy. My wife took prenatal vitamins and was very conscious about his health during her pregnancy. Then again, there are people that don't.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
The Hib vaccine and the Hep B vaccine are two different things. Ones a virus, Hepatitis B, only contracted the same way HIV is. The other is a bacteria infection, Haemophilus influenzae type b.

I do agree with you that the Hep B vaccine is the worse thing to inject in a child. Then again it's the first one they receive before even leaving the hospital after birth. The hepatitis B vaccine was effectively mandated in 1991 for universal immunization of newborn babies by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) -- an adjunct of the CDC. Paradoxically, the CDC's own Fact Sheet on the hepatitis B disease does not include newborn babies as a risk group for that disease. That Fact Sheet lists the risk groups as injection drug users, homosexual men, sexually active heterosexuals, infant/children of immigrants from disease-endemic areas, low socio-economic level, sexual/household contacts of infected persons, infants born to infected mothers, health care workers and hemodialysis patients NOT NEWBORN BABIES.

In 1996 only 54 cases of the disease were reported to the CDC in the 0-1 age group. There were 3.9 million births that year, so the observed incidence of hepatitis B in the 0-1 age group was just 0.001%. In the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), there were 1,080 total reports of adverse reactions from hepatitis B vaccine in 1996 in the 0-1 age group, with 47 deaths reported. Total VAERS hepatitis B reports for the 0-1 age group outnumber reported cases of the disease 20 to 1.
Your post shows a complete lack of understanding of the efficacy of Hep B vaccinations and the risk of complication from exposure to Hep B at a young age compared to adults...

It also grossly underestimates the potential of perinatal exposure...

"Approximately 19,000 women with chronic hepatitis
B infection give birth in the United States
each year. Ninety percent of perinatal infections
can be prevented by postexposure prophylaxis
given within 12 hours of birth. Tragically, many
babies are exposed to HBV at birth but do not receive
appropriate postexposure prophylaxis."
http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/Give_the_Birth_Dose.pdf

Not sure which "paradox" you are referring to either, the CDC and ACIP most certainly DO advocate Hep B vaccination of newborns...

Do you even read what you cut and paste??? You say NEWBORN BABIES AREN'T listed as belonging to the risk group for Hep B, if you would have looked at what you are posted where I highlighted it clearly states INFANTS BORN TO INFECTED MOTHERS.....

Since we don't always know which mothers are infected at delivery and there is a window when the disease cannot be detected it makes PERFECT sense to give a SAFE and EFFECTIVE vaccine..

Old 09-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Yes, but you could screen the moms for Hep B and only give the vaccine to infants at risk due to the mother's testing positive. It is diagnosed by a blood test. Most infants are NOT at risk, so we need to screen and only give it to infants who are at risk, imo.

I am sorry for confusing Hep B with HIB though. The HIB vaccine is a good idea.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Your post shows a complete lack of understanding of the efficacy of Hep B vaccinations and the risk of complication from exposure to Hep B at a young age compared to adults...

It also grossly underestimates the potential of perinatal exposure...

"Approximately 19,000 women with chronic hepatitis
B infection give birth in the United States
each year. Ninety percent of perinatal infections
can be prevented by postexposure prophylaxis
given within 12 hours of birth. Tragically, many
babies are exposed to HBV at birth but do not receive
appropriate postexposure prophylaxis."
http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/Give_the_Birth_Dose.pdf

Not sure which "paradox" you are referring to either, the CDC and ACIP most certainly DO advocate Hep B vaccination of newborns...

Do you even read what you cut and paste??? You say NEWBORN BABIES AREN'T listed as belonging to the risk group for Hep B, if you would have looked at what you are posted where I highlighted it clearly states INFANTS BORN TO INFECTED MOTHERS.....

Since we don't always know which mothers are infected at delivery and there is a window when the disease cannot be detected it makes PERFECT sense to give a SAFE and EFFECTIVE vaccine..
Not only that but all modes of Hep B transmission are not understood. You can have Hep B without knowing it, without having any known risk factors and pass it on to an infant who will then develop a hugely increased risk of liver cancer.

Skipping this vaccine is non a sensible course of action.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Yes, but you could screen the moms for Hep B and only give the vaccine to infants at risk due to the mother's testing positive. It is diagnosed by a blood test. Most infants are NOT at risk, so we need to screen and only give it to infants who are at risk, imo.

I am sorry for confusing Hep B with HIB though. The HIB vaccine is a good idea.
If you read my post or looked into this further you would know that screening the mother is isn't always effective as their is a window when a positive mother will not TEST positive

If you also look into characteristics of Hep B you will find that young people that contract the disease have a much poorer prognosis than those who contract it at a later date and are more likely to develop CHRONIC Hep B...

"It is estimated that about 1 out of 3 of the nearly 1 million Americans with chronic HBV infection acquired their infection as infants or young children"

Hepatitis B Vaccine Questions and Answers

Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Hep B, isn't this one of the newer vaccines? My youngest needed it to start 7th grade while it wasn't required for my eldest at all. I guess you have to have a line drawn somewhere but that was a weird thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting