Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM

384 posts, read 2,221,180 times

Advertisements

I just moved to a county in FL and took my son to the dentist and she told me that this county doesn't put fluoride in the drinking water here. They gave him fluoride tablets to take at nite but of course he doesn't like them. Does anyone give their child these supplements? How big a deal is it to not have fluoride in the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:31 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
We use to live in a town that did not have a flouridated water system and had to give our kids supplements. It wasn't really a big deal, just have to remember to do it. I was very concerned about it when we first moved there, however, if you are constant about giving them their supplements, they are fine.
The dentists in the area will probably also will do flouride treatments during their 6month visits.

I asked about buying the bottled water that had the flouride in it to use as well, however, our dentist at the time said that it wasn't necessary, at least not all the time. You don't want them to have TO MUCH flouride either, as that is not good.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,989 times
You have to be really careful when it comes to fluoride. My 2 daughters both have fluorosis of their permanent teeth, which has caused white spots and pitting in their teeth, due to too much fluoride. We have eliminated fluoride treatments, supplements, and toothpaste in order to try to avoid this in our sons.

If you look up information about fluoride, you will see that many studies have shown that it is actually harmful and a carcinogen. Choose carefully before you decide to give it to your son.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 PM

384 posts, read 2,221,180 times
Thanks! I was actually thinking of filling up a jug of water in the next county over! I guess that is probably not that practical.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,659 times
Toothpaste with fluoride, and a kids' mouth rinse with fluoride.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Toothpaste with fluoride, and a kids' mouth rinse with fluoride.
That's what I think, too.

Our water comes from a dug well on our property about a 100 yards away from the house. Sometimes we make a trip to fill jugs with spring water. I never felt the need for any supplements. Just living the old-fashioned way.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
I just moved to a county in FL and took my son to the dentist and she told me that this county doesn't put fluoride in the drinking water here. They gave him fluoride tablets to take at nite but of course he doesn't like them. Does anyone give their child these supplements? How big a deal is it to not have fluoride in the water?
I think flouride supplements are entirely unneccessary. Your kids brush their teeth twice a day, like all good little kids, right? You have to try pretty hard to find toothpaste that does not contain flouride. Keep a bottle of ACT flouride rinse on hand as well. Much easier to get kids to use that than Listerine anyway.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,340 times
Fluoride in the water is a very indirect way for people to provide fluoride to their teeth. Not to say it didn't make a huge public health difference when government first started doing it - it did.

The reason this works is that fluoride ends up in our body system-wide, including our saliva, which of course is in contact with our teeth, and so it is available to remineralize the teeth as needed.

As others have posted, there is a healthy debate on whether all this fluoride is good for your body in general. Some would consider it a benefit that your water is not fluoridated.

You can ask to your dentist about leave-on pastes that are now available to patients that directly apply minerals to the teeth.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
I just use jugs of baby water. They sell it and it contains small amounts of flouride

Old 10-22-2008, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,051 times
Default Easy Fluoride

To answer that question about fluoride just look it up on the interent for yourself. Many dentists recomend fluoride but they only know about teeth and not really the science behind their growth. They also do not understand what fluoride does to the body. Since it has never been proven that sodium fluoride or hydrofluoriosilic acid assist in preventing tooth decay it is safe to say it is mostly a poison. Look up the origin of these products and inform yourself fully about them before using them or forcing them on other people.

Personally i think they are dangerous. I have read alot of research from both sides. Those for fluoride just offer skepticism as proof. Those opposed offer actual science based proof. It sounds like those for fluoride really are not informed either correctly or at all. I think a study might be done to prove either case but in the mean time it is best to look everything up for yourself and inform family about your findings. I think most of the information that is science based is against fluoride. This also costs tax payers so those opposed are really getting ripped off. With supplements availible, take it out of the water and those who want it can swallow a pill or put it in their own glass of water.

[url]http://www.njsafewater.org/[/url]

Last edited by Cardinstar; 10-22-2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting