Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times

Advertisements

I can't believe no one here has suggested ADOPTION!!!

There are so many childless couples that would LOVE THAT BABY, can care for it, and can afford it, will give it a wonderful life!!!

And, I can guarantee you that she will do whatever she has to, to make sure she won't get pregnant again.

How do I know this? Because I am adopted, and I also gave a child up for adoption when I was young. It is the best solution for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,016,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I can't believe no one here has suggested ADOPTION!!!
Post 2 15 21 25 All suggest Adoption.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:34 PM

606 posts, read 944,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Post 2 15 21 25 All suggest Adoption.
And the OPs in this thread and the other one have no control over whether the parents in these cases will ultimately choose to parent, abort, or adopt out.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,598 times
Tell them to get married and tell him to join the military. he will receive a living allowance to pay their rent and might start out as an e-3/e-4 depending on his branch. she might be able to finish school then.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,767,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Tell them to get married and tell him to join the military. he will receive a living allowance to pay their rent and might start out as an e-3/e-4 depending on his branch. she might be able to finish school then.
You know that's not a bad idea. But I can't force them into anything. I can only make decisions for me and my own house.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,089,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
You know that's not a bad idea. But I can't force them into anything. I can only make decisions for me and my own house.

Yes. This isn't about them, it's about you. You need to do what keeps YOU healthy and sane. They are adults, as witness their ability to create a baby.

You have heard good suggestions here. You might pass them along, verbatim. But this is NOT your problem. Don't destroy your marriage over an issue surrounding your adult daughter and her boyfriend.

What do the boys parents suggest?

I would suggest a sit down, tell them you are not being mean, but that living under your roof is not an option. Ask the boy what he plans to do to support his child? It is not in any way cruel to have them find a place, get jobs, and get on with life.

It doesn't mean you love your daughter and (potential) son in law any less; it means that they have adult decisions to make, just like they made an adult decision to have a baby.

Life has consequences.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:13 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,598 times
that's true. maybe you can suggest it to him, as he will also get valuable experience that will help him later in his welding career. honorable discharges from the military help make people super employable bc it shows work ethic. plus, they can probably afford for her to stay home/finish school with the fact that he will receive the extra living allowance for rent as well as his salary. Also, do not forget the health benefits that the family will receive, which can be pretty expensive when getting it through your employer for the whole family. if he joins the navy, it won't be so dangerous. with the army, it is a bit more dangerous, but from what i've seen in the area i've lived in is that they promote a bit faster. it's tough to get into the coast guard right now and they promote slow, so i'd avoid that branch.

guess i just wanted to say there are options for them that i would suggest they look into before i would suggest abortion/adoption. those are personal choices and it's easy to say someone should do that, but it's a tougher thing to be the one doing them.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:39 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,062,090 times
I'm sorry that you're going through this emotional trauma. And while I respect and appreciate you're desire to do all you can to help your daughter, you have to accept the fact that she made the decision to have sex, knowing beforehand that she was taking the risk of getting pregnant. . . it was her choice and now she must make choices as to what she will do to support and raise her child. You cannot do that for her, even as much as you'd like to.

There is nothing you can make her do - she is an adult. The only person you can control is yourself. You can be emotional support for her, but that's as far as it goes.

It's her call, and her b/f's if he steps up the the plate.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM

588 posts, read 796,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I'm going to try. She is only six weeks along. I know many people don't believe in it but there are instances where I'm glad it's available.
Encouraging her to have an abortion will not make it more likely that she will have one. She may later despise you for suggesting it. That is a very personal decision and I am sure that she is already aware of that option.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM

14,409 posts, read 14,325,606 times
Seriously, my suggestion is tell her she can either have an abortion or place the child for adoption. Placing the child for adoption would be my first choice.

Make it clear if she keeps the child--despite your wishes--she can't live in the home and very little in the way of family assistance will be provided. More importantly, make her believe you are serious when you say this.

This sounds pretty strong, but any other message than this is going to be interpreted by her as support for a decision to keep and parent the child. People hear what they want to hear. It seems evident to me that this is clearly what she wants. This is not an optimal situation for that. She is likely to require both assistance from her family and the taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting