Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,267,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasX51 View Post
She will try to manipulate them into letting her stay and living like a leech. Toughness is what she needs most right now.
Tough love won't make her go back in time and not get pregnant. Tough love will only drive her and the future grandchild away.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-14-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,311,376 times
Quote:
She will try to manipulate them into letting her stay and living like a leech. Toughness is what she needs most right now.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-14-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM

208 posts, read 218,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
What's wrong?

Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
What's wrong?
Because at this point in her life she needs support, not tough love.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,047,754 times
I think your initial response was due to shock and it's good that you took a few days to clear your thought process. One thing I've observed with teen parents is to much support and status quo during the pregnancy and then expecting them to take over once the baby is born. If your daughter wants that baby independence must start today. Step back and force them to make plans before the end of the first trimester. Advise her of what needs to be done regarding prenatal care and insurance but make her do all her own arrangements between her and the bf. I think she needs to deal with the reality of her choices while she still has options. Also you said you cannot house her so they need to start dealing with that asap.

Time for the little bird to fly.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:12 AM

208 posts, read 218,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Because at this point in her life she needs support, not tough love.
If my father had a 19 year old pregnant daughter he would probably throw her out the door in the moment. So I think trying to convince her to get an abortion is actually pretty soft.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
If my father had a 19 year old pregnant daughter he would probably throw her out the door in the moment. So I think trying to convince her to get an abortion is actually pretty soft.
Well that's your father, and doesn't make it the correct course of action either.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 AM

138 posts, read 164,718 times
It's unbelievable how many people are suggesting these 2 KIDS get married. What in the world will that accomplish? By the time the baby can even say "mommy and daddy" they'll be separated/divorced. Marriage is not the answer here at all. Kids having kids, it has F'd up so many families it's scary.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
She is probably absolutely terrified right now and tough love is not the answer (in my opinion).
Based on what I've seen of pregnant teenagers, she's probably in la la land thinking it's going to be wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I think your initial response was due to shock and it's good that you took a few days to clear your thought process. One thing I've observed with teen parents is to much support and status quo during the pregnancy and then expecting them to take over once the baby is born. If your daughter wants that baby independence must start today. Step back and force them to make plans before the end of the first trimester. Advise her of what needs to be done regarding prenatal care and insurance but make her do all her own arrangements between her and the bf. I think she needs to deal with the reality of her choices while she still has options. Also you said you cannot house her so they need to start dealing with that asap.
This is important advice.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoran81 View Post
It's unbelievable how many people are suggesting these 2 KIDS get married. What in the world will that accomplish? By the time the baby can even say "mommy and daddy" they'll be separated/divorced. Marriage is not the answer here at all. Kids having kids, it has F'd up so many families it's scary.
I'm actually pretty surprised tbh. That's not something you typically see as advice in this day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting