Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,505,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
They sound good to me.

Because the consequences of irresponsible sexuality for young men and women are so minor right?

Teen parents, lifelong STD's...mere inconveniences!

I can see why you would be confused. Threatening the life of someone else over their sexual choices with another person is quite confounding, isn't it?

I didn't say the possible consequences were minor. Don't put words in my mouth. There is a way to teach personal responsibility over one's body without acting as if your child's body is somehow your treasure to protect.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Don't people trust their daughters to make their own decision on who they date instead of relying on dad to make the final call? I expect my daughter will make some bad decisions and maybe get hurt, even get her heart broken, but thats a necessary part of growing up and neither I nor her father (or step dad) will have a say in who she gets involved with (or indeed when she has sex!)

Like no?! Ok? Didn't you know having a vagina automatically makes you a **** and stupid?! LIKE DUH.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It takes guts for a young guy to come talk to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Of course it takes guts for any young man to meet the father of his prospective date.

???

Does the same hold true for girls meeting a boy's parents?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
To each their own, for sure. I won't expect my daughter to have the maturity and wisdom of an adult via experience as a teenager. Especially when it comes to adult activities like sex and relationships, as well as employment. Of course, people mature at different rates.

Nor would I expect adult experience from a teenager. However I will afford them the respect and courtesy of being in charge of their own bodies, being armed with the years of frank and open discussion and education DH and I have provided them with.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,323,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Like no?! Ok? Didn't you know having a vagina automatically makes you a **** and stupid?! LIKE DUH.
Parents are just expressing a desire to protect their children. I don't think anyone here has referred to their kid as a ****.

With that said, my step-sister, a person I am not close to and really don't see, has a 13 (to be 14 soon) year old daughter who was raped at the end of the school year. Her daughter met a guy who was local to their neighborhood in Queens via fb. He's been arrested I guess. It happened behind a public building. It doesn't make her a **** or stupid, but it does indicate that she was naive as many teens are. And her mom didn't know where she was or who she was with. It's hard for her as a divorced mom with zero support from her ex. The kids are often left on their own while she works. This is the kind of thing that a teen could easily get mixed up in, in today's tech world. And it's worrisome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nor would I expect adult experience from a teenager. However I will afford them the respect and courtesy of being in charge of their own bodies, being armed with the years of frank and open discussion and education DH and I have provided them with.
There's an assumption here that the teen can reason maturely and have the ability to weigh consequences...future consequences to boot. Conversation alone won't be enough for me while my kid is still young. What is key here is that if a 16 year old were to get pregnant, it's her parents that would have to take on the responsibility of that consequence since that teen cannot support herself let alone a child. That does not give her charge over her life, let alone her body imo.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 PM

384 posts, read 597,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
There's an assumption here that the teen can reason maturely and have the ability to weigh consequences...future consequences to boot. Conversation alone won't be enough for me while my kid is still young. What is key here is that if a 16 year old were to get pregnant, it's her parents that would have to take on the responsibility of that consequence since that teen cannot support herself let alone a child. That does not give her charge over her life, let alone her body imo.
Short of restricting her to a solitary confinement prison for the rest of her life, you can't prevent her from having sex. At some point you really have to hope that your parenting sunk in. Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 08-07-2013 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: inappropriate remark

Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,046,102 times
It doesn't bother me that people want to keep their kids from making mistakes. I think it is natural for parents to want to protect their children from making mistakes when the stakes are high. The thing that bothers me is the idea that any time a teen girl has sex that she must have been forced into it and that some boy should be punished. It's as if parents of girls cannot acknowledge that their daughter might choose to have sex so they have to turn some boy into a rapist to come to terms with what their daughter did.

I don't think it is ideal for young teens to be sexually active. I actively work to make sure that my kids are not in a position where sexual activity is easy for them when they are young. However, if they do have sex you can be sure that the girl was willing and not forced. It bothers me that parents treat sex as if it were something that only boys want to do.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,630,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It doesn't bother me that people want to keep their kids from making mistakes. I think it is natural for parents to want to protect their children from making mistakes when the stakes are high. The thing that bothers me is the idea that any time a teen girl has sex that she must have been forced into it and that some boy should be punished. It's as if parents of girls cannot acknowledge that their daughter might choose to have sex so they have to turn some boy into a rapist to come to terms with what their daughter did.

I don't think it is ideal for young teens to be sexually active. I actively work to make sure that my kids are not in a position where sexual activity is easy for them when they are young. However, if they do have sex you can be sure that the girl was willing and not forced. It bothers me that parents treat sex as if it were something that only boys want to do.

I think you are making the same kind of sweeping generalizations about the parents of girls that you are frustrated about SOME (very few in my experience) of those parents making about teen boys.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Short of restricting her to a solitary confinement prison for the rest of her life, you can't prevent her from having sex. At some point you really have to hope that your parenting sunk in.
I would hope that parenting would sink in at that point but there is still no reason not to be up front and center with a teen as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-07-2013 at 12:14 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

I don't think it is ideal for young teens to be sexually active. I actively work to make sure that my kids are not in a position where sexual activity is easy for them when they are young.
However, if they do have sex you can be sure that the girl was willing and not forced. It bothers me that parents treat sex as if it were something that only boys want to do.
That's what it's about imo and that's the appropriate role of a parent vs stepping aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting