Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Ever been raped?
If you haven't I would not question those words being spoken by anyone.

As a matter of fact, yes I have at age 9 walking home from school and I'm not 100% sure killing is always the answer. Justice was served anyways

Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Rape? Yes.
Consensual sex?

No.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
(From another thread)

Three things can't be hidden: coughing, poverty, and love. If a boy perceives a girl is loved and supported by her parents, and that they are paying attention to where she is and what she is doing, that is more than enough.

It is completely unnecessary to threaten him with words, guns, or other aggressive attitudes. If he is a thug with bad intentions, he isn't really going to care anyway. Girls with parents that are never around, who have no curfew and who have a bad relationship with her parents are much more likely to become targets of these type of boys.

The fact is, when a boy shows up at your house to pickup your daughter, it means she wants to go out with him as much as he wants to go out with her. If you are a crazy and aggressive parent, she will have warned him to "ignore my crazy dad" beforehand. And he will ignore you, like she told him to. However, if he perceives that the girl and dad have a great relationship, that he loves her and she respects him...he will know there will be consequences if he messes up with her. He doesn't need to be threatened.

Crazy, over-protective parents who like to threaten kids are the laughing stock of teenagers, you have to be kidding yourself if you think any boy will be terrified enough to stay away from her. He will just find a way to avoid you, to get to her behind your back, and even better, he will find a way to do it with her help! Its a lot better for him to perceive you as a father who loves his daughter, and has an open and constant line of communication with her.

Very true!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Especially when it comes to sex. While rape is of course bad, I've heard some parents, fathers especially, for some reason, why say they would kill someone if they raped their daughter. I sort of understand the rage etc they would feel, but how is it right or justifiable to murder someone for rape? Or not even rape, but consensual sex. Or phrases like 'i'll break your leg if you break her heart' (even if metaphorical) that are supposed to sound all family-orientated and noble. To me it just makes them sound like violent jerks.

It seems most people would applaud or encourage such thinking and behaviour, which makes me cynical about human nature in general.
If you are just talking about being outraged by consensual sex, then, yes, some people do need to mellow down as their daughters are as much to blame for that. But I find it disturbing why you cannot see how parents are outraged and want death to rapists for raping their daughters?! I mean, seriously???

Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If rape was a death penalty crime would it be less disturbing?
No, how can the DP be an appropriate punishment for rape? I'm not DP, but at least a life for a life...

Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,107 times
Its better to just have a few large bags of lye and a shovel near the house than overt displays of aggression.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Especially when it comes to sex. While rape is of course bad, I've heard some parents, fathers especially, for some reason, why say they would kill someone if they raped their daughter. I sort of understand the rage etc they would feel, but how is it right or justifiable to murder someone for rape? Or not even rape, but consensual sex. Or phrases like 'i'll break your leg if you break her heart' (even if metaphorical) that are supposed to sound all family-orientated and noble. To me it just makes them sound like violent jerks.

It seems most people would applaud or encourage such thinking and behaviour, which makes me cynical about human nature in general.
You obviously don't have a daughter.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,194 times
Quote:
No, how can the DP be an appropriate punishment for rape? I'm not DP, but at least a life for a life...
Well, this is far from parenting but for some women, their life is over after rape. Sometimes literally, they commit suicide.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
The "cleaning the revolver" crap revolts me. It is disgusting, misogynistic, patriarchal and archaic. The interest and focus some parents put n their children's sexuality is highly disturbing.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The "cleaning the revolver" crap revolts me. It is disgusting, misogynistic, patriarchal and archaic.
They sound good to me.

Quote:
The interest and focus some parents put n their children's sexuality is highly disturbing.
Because the consequences of irresponsible sexuality for young men and women are so minor right?

Teen parents, lifelong STD's...mere inconveniences!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting