Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
And to the OP, I see nothing wrong whatsoever with a family communicating clearly with their daughter's boyfriend that she MUST be respected by him.
Sex does not equal disrespect.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
If parents raise their daughters with the idea they must demand to be respected, they will communicate that...but sometimes parents have to come in with the message for re-emphasis on its importance.

Fellas, you have choices here.

If you don't want to hassle with the parents why not wait until the woman has her own place and if fully able to speak and answer for herself? If you REALLY want her, you can split the cost of her having her own place. If you're willing to split the cost of an abortion, agree to split the cost for her living expenses and birth control.

If you know deep down inside that you only want to play with this girl get the you-know-what and leave, why all the angry moral indignation? I bet the tune's gonna change the day you find yourself the parent of a young pretty daughter who is just starting to become interested in boys.
Women can be respected and still want to have sex. When did sex become equal to disrespect?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Sex does not equal disrespect.
Amen.

Happy, healthy, consensual sex is something all parents should want for their children, boys and girls. When that should occur, should be a conversation you start early and have often.

There is nothing wrong with a mature, well adjusted teen girl choosing when and whom to have sex with. If she is 17 or 19 or 25 or whatever, so be it.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
With all due respect to you, the age of consent, when applied to young-and mid-teenage girls is pure bullsh*t. These girls have not developed enough maturity (and toughness) to be clear on what they want and don't want, so their boyfriends lead them to what the boys want. Very few boys want a girl they CAN'T direct and boss around this way. Independent women and girls who think for themselves sit home on Saturday nights.
Where do you live that there are so many spineless young women?

Quote:
A girl can speak and answer for herself when she her parents no longer financially support her. If she is doing something that will increase their responsibility for her (like having to deal with a pregnancy or the termination of one) then THEY have a say too.
Financially supporting someone does not mean you get to control every move they make.

Quote:
A young woman is old enough for sex when she can successfully handle the fallout and consequences of sex that did not go as planned, whether that is the boy breaking up with her, getting pregnant, getting an STD, or having to get an abortion.

Many young women can't handle these issues, without profound psychological damage to them. This is a health and safety issue, since this can bring on depression and behavioral disorders in her teenage years.
This is true, but it is also true for men.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
So mental pressure (force) is applied to a somewhat confused young woman who may also be at the mercy of her hormones...
Holy jumping jehosaphat!

So a girl may be 'at the mercy of her hormones' while a boy is just ... a horny dog? Double standard maybe?

If a young woman doesn't have the strength of character to say no and mean it that is not the fault of the young man.

Having raised both a young man and a young woman, please don't throw out the tired old 'just wait until you have a girl/boy' argument. It doesn't hold water, a young persons response to sex will depend on their upbringing and the strength of their hormones, not whatever their gender happens to be.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Holy jumping jehosaphat!

So a girl may be 'at the mercy of her hormones' while a boy is just ... a horny dog? Double standard maybe?

If a young woman doesn't have the strength of character to say no and mean it that is not the fault of the young man.

Having raised both a young man and a young woman, please don't throw out the tired old 'just wait until you have a girl/boy' argument. It doesn't hold water, a young persons response to sex will depend on their upbringing and the strength of their hormones, not whatever their gender happens to be.
Why am I expecting to hear that women shouldn't be in positions of power because they might start a war or something during "that time of the month"....

1950 called - they want their beliefsback.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
I'm so grateful that I would never have to settle for a 50/50 relationship. I have a relationship wherein we don't measure yours and mine. We don't have his jobs and her jobs, we don't have his money and my money. We have total trust and total support. Our relationship is 100/100. Each doing whatever it takes to make sure the other is as comfortable and happy as possible.

Of course I do what "we all used to do". The amazing thing is...I always hear my husbands friends and acquaintances tell him "you'd better not lose her, she's one in a million".

I like being on the proverbial pedestal and I've never had to demand he put me there...he just did it because he knows I honor him.

God, I would never want to be put on a pedestal. I enjoy moving my feet and experiencing life on the ground.

Our relationship is 50/50 meaning we both put equal work into the house, finances and children.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
With all due respect to you, the age of consent, when applied to young-and mid-teenage girls is pure bullsh*t. These girls have not developed enough maturity (and toughness) to be clear on what they want and don't want, so their boyfriends lead them to what the boys want. Very few boys want a girl they CAN'T direct and boss around this way. Independent women and girls who think for themselves sit home on Saturday nights.

A girl can speak and answer for herself when she her parents no longer financially support her. If she is doing something that will increase their responsibility for her (like having to deal with a pregnancy or the termination of one) then THEY have a say too.

A young woman is old enough for sex when she can successfully handle the fallout and consequences of sex that did not go as planned, whether that is the boy breaking up with her, getting pregnant, getting an STD, or having to get an abortion.

Many young women can't handle these issues, without profound psychological damage to them. This is a health and safety issue, since this can bring on depression and behavioral disorders in her teenage years.

But what of the young women who want to have sex just as much as the young men do? Pssstttt - girls enjoy sex just as much as boys.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Or they go out with their SOs and have a knock out time!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But what of the young women who want to have sex just as much as the young men do? Pssstttt - girls enjoy sex just as much as boys.
I would bet that many in the "keep girls virgins forever" camp would counter with only "some" girls enjoy sex....you know "those" girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting