Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,528,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
They are in control of their OWN CHILD though and they have forbid her to have contact with this boy. HE and HIS PARENTS should respect HER FATHER's wishes. Then when HER FATHER finds all the emails she sent without any reply HE WILL SEE IT IS HIS DAUGHTER who initiated the contact and THEIR SON respected him enough not to reply.
Obviously they don't respect him. I wouldn't either.

Quote:
Once the girl is 18 and out of her parents home she can do as she chooses, until then HER PARENTS HOME HER PARENTS RULES. No matter how ridiculous anyone else thinks it is.
I didn't recommend them having a tryst in her parents' home. If OP's son suggested such a thing I'm sure she would advise him it was a bad idea.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh, and that jump drive? That won't do anything but tell the parents that you knew all along. Yeah, good idea. NOT.
You seem to be under the impression that OP gives a hoot what the girl's parents think of her. She doesn't, and I wouldn't either. Who the hell are they?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,061,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You seem to be under the impression that OP gives a hoot what the girl's parents think of her. She doesn't, and I wouldn't either. Who the hell are they?
Just a hunch...you haven't parented any teens yet have you?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just a hunch...you haven't parented any teens yet have you?
Not teens, no. So what?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,524,926 times
Quote:
Obviously they don't respect him. I wouldn't either.

They do NOT NEED to respect HIM, it is HIS RULES for HIS DAUGHTER they need to respect.

I didn't recommend them having a tryst in her parents' home. If OP's son suggested such a thing I'm sure she would advise him it was a bad idea.

When the Father finds out they have been contacting each other against HIS WISHES there is going to be HADES to pay and this boy had better hope he is NOT 18 yet with the girl being a minor because he WILL GO TO JAIL. Whether there has been any actual physical event or not, I can guarantee you this girl's Father WILL MAKE SURE THAT BOY GOES TO JAIL.

This whole situation is too dramatic for what it is and the boy and his parents need to back off and stay away from this girl and her family. It could very well go to hades in a hand basket quickly and NOT end well for the boy.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
When the Father finds out they have been contacting each other against HIS WISHES there is going to be HADES to pay and this boy had better hope he is NOT 18 yet with the girl being a minor because he WILL GO TO JAIL. Whether there has been any actual physical event or not, I can guarantee you this girl's Father WILL MAKE SURE THAT BOY GOES TO JAIL.
On what charge, please?

ETA:

"In Montana, the age of consent for sex is 16 years old for females, and 18 years old for males."
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...t-lawyers.html

So, if they were having sex, apparently she would be breaking the law, not him.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,061,809 times
Quote:
Not teens, no. So what?
Mostly because you kind of sound like a teen yourself on these posts, but also because you do not seem to grasp the importance of parents teaching their kids to respect adults in authority.

No offense, but you asked!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Mostly because you kind of sound like a teen yourself on these posts, but also because you do not seem to grasp the importance of parents teaching their kids to respect adults in authority.
By age 17 they ought to appreciate not only the importance of respecting authority but the limits of such.

"Respecting authority" is sufficient for grade schoolers.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,874,804 times
Looking forward in to the future- say these two got married...The relationship you would have with the parents of the bride would be a dishonest and disrespectful one. Apparently you are not showing any respect of the parents of the girl or for the girl. Putting that point aside - You mention that you are open with your son...which is good...Apparently the girl is not open with her parents. You should ask yourself why?

I see this in different families...My younger brothers kids sneak around behind my brothers back...My kids never did. He does a lot of dominating and yelling...One of those - "it's my way or the highway" sort of guys....it's about child rearing and your approach...The more you attempt to control your kids the harder they are to control.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,806,039 times
Quote:
By age 17 they ought to know not only the importance of respecting authority but the limits of such.

"Respecting authority" is sufficient for grade schoolers.
That all sounds good. But the father of the 16-year-old girl holds all the power in this situation. He's the one who can call the police and report that the boy is trespassing if the boy goes over there. Or withdraw his daughter from school. Or ship her across the country to live with relatives.

The OP needs to teach her son the value of "cooling it" and letting a situation play out. Making grand announcements or romantic declarations of never-dying love in the face of a dad who has made his wishes clear rarely plays out like it does in the movies. Both the OP and her son need to back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.