Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,770,510 times

Advertisements

A take off thread from the one I posted last week about having to tell my son that his gf's father was not going to allow them to see each other anymore.

Yesterday I asked my son if they had found a way to communicate yet. He told me that they both created email addresses and they are talking back and forth with those (he gave me his new email and password). I told him to remember that her father WILL find out eventually and everything he writes needs to be appropriate (basically, keep in mind that everything you write will be read by her father at some point).

I am petty enough to be transfering their emails to a memory card. When her father freaks out, I want to be able to come back with proof that HIS daughter contacted my son first. (Read: he's not stalking or harrassing her).

Fortunately, our son is pretty open with us and willing to talk. We made sure he understands the boundaries he has to live under (don't call her phone, don't write anything you wouldn't want her father reading, etc...).

Overall, I was pretty amused with how quickly they were able to start talking again after her father forbid it. During the conversation with my husband last week (the one where her father dumped the chore of telling our son about the forced break-up), my husband told him that they (meaning her) would start lying and sneaking around if he forced them to break up.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,608,577 times
I don't condone what her parents did, but you condoning your son's continued contact with her is not going to end well.

Put yourself in her parents place, how would you feel?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,380,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't condone what her parents did, but you condoning your son's continued contact with her is not going to end well.

Put yourself in her parents place, how would you feel?
This^^^

Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,318,077 times
The way I see it, this sneaky e mail business is way better than crawling out the window at night or involving friends in clandestine meetings. We knew this would happen.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM

415 posts, read 767,472 times
As a father of 2 girls, I would sure wish some boys parent would respect my wish..if not I promise it will get ugly, Its not a game..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,849,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
As a father of 2 girls, I would sure wish some boys parent would respect my wish..if not I promise it will get ugly, Its not a game..
The above bears repeating.

In a world where people hate being told how to raise their kids by others, the same people will ignore the wishes of other parents.

Even though I agree the girl's parents are being ridiculous, when it goes bad, and it will, you and your husband will be sharing fault along with your son.

Last edited by steelstress; 05-09-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,136,363 times
The are teenagers, If they want to communicate they will. The more you try and control the more irrelevant you as a parent become. I can´t imagine trying to control my daughter like the girls father. Whats next chaining her in the basement.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,783,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
A take off thread from the one I posted last week about having to tell my son that his gf's father was not going to allow them to see each other anymore.

Yesterday I asked my son if they had found a way to communicate yet. He told me that they both created email addresses and they are talking back and forth with those (he gave me his new email and password). I told him to remember that her father WILL find out eventually and everything he writes needs to be appropriate (basically, keep in mind that everything you write will be read by her father at some point).

I am petty enough to be transfering their emails to a memory card. When her father freaks out, I want to be able to come back with proof that HIS daughter contacted my son first. (Read: he's not stalking or harrassing her).

Fortunately, our son is pretty open with us and willing to talk. We made sure he understands the boundaries he has to live under (don't call her phone, don't write anything you wouldn't want her father reading, etc...).

Overall, I was pretty amused with how quickly they were able to start talking again after her father forbid it. During the conversation with my husband last week (the one where her father dumped the chore of telling our son about the forced break-up), my husband told him that they (meaning her) would start lying and sneaking around if he forced them to break up.
I know that you care about your son and I hope you don't take this wrong, but I think you're too involved in this situation. I thought the same thing last week when you were talking about crushing his heart. This isn't your teenage affair or heartache--it's theirs. Other than tell your son not to go over there because her father has forbidden it, I think you need to step back. You seem to be increasing the drama level when, IMO, you should be trying to decrease it.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,136,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
The above bears repeating.

In a world where people hate being told how to raise their kids by others, the same people don't will ignore the wishes of other parents.

Even though I agree the girl's parents are being ridiculous, when it goes bad, and it will, you and your husband will be sharing fault along with your son.
He does not really need to condone their communication or try to prevent it either. Every teen I know has Smartphones, E-mail, Skype, Facebook, Whats-App..... The will communicate on their own. Being a teen is about breaking away. Being a parent of a teen is about letting go.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,238,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I know that you care about your son and I hope you don't take this wrong, but I think you're too involved in this situation. I thought the same thing last week when you were talking about crushing his heart. This isn't your teenage affair or heartache--it's theirs. Other than tell your son not to go over there because her father has forbidden it, I think you need to step back. You seem to be increasing the drama level when, IMO, you should be trying to decrease it.

I confess I agree with this poster. Not trying to be mean. I can imagine this is a challenge to deal with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.