Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,517,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sad. I just read this quote of hers, and thought it touching:

“I hope with all of my heart that in some way I have made a difference in the lives of people with AIDS. I want that to be my legacy. Better that than for the mole on my cheek.” - Elizabeth Taylor
I watched a very old version of Jane Eyre last weekend on Netflix & she was in it as a young girl; probably 12-14yrs of age. She was beautiful.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
How are your "planning meetings" going, rbk?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,517,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We don't do rain around here, we do torrential downpours with thunder and lightning. And..we can only take a small tent as we have assigned space....and we have Rambo-wannabe den leaders, so no doubt we will be trudging around in the mud having "fun".....and no booze at the scout camp site!

And...I could be home in my dry comfortable bed. No worries, I'm sure it will be great.
Good luck. If anything, it creates memories??

Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How are your "planning meetings" going, rbk?
things are going well! They aren't staying with us, so that helps a lot. They took the kids for an evening and DH and I went out to dinner. So far so good!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,977,722 times
I love camping as long as I can shower.
As soon as I start to feel all dirty and like I need a shower, I start to get cranky but as long as I can shower I will be just fine.
I went on a weekend long paintball camping trip, showered Friday right before we left for camp and then got up the next day and played paintball all day and was on the ground most the time because I have killer aim and was doing a sniper position in a lot of the game and I have grass allergies, the other female explorer and I skipped the last game and went and took hot showers, it was nice.

We also only spent one night out in our tent, it was beginning of October amidst a big swine flu out break and spent the second night in an rv because it was just too cold to be out side. All but one explorer on the trip for our post caught swine flu, and a supervisor got it as well.

Crappy camping conditions sure do create memories, I caught swine flu on that trip and was in bed for the entire month of october, I went from a size 10 in jeans to now being able to get into a size 6 and I went from a 12 in police pants to a size 8 but if I knew ahead of time what was going to happen from going I would still go on the trip, it was that awesome.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,685,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Glad kitty is okay! It's a good thing she has nine lives! I'd still let her outside! She'll probably lose weight climbing and jumping roofs!
Heh. You are probably right. She also goes to the bathroom outside when she is out there so that helps as it is one less trip daily to clean the litter box. She really does think she is a dog lol.

And for the record, she came to me from the pound fat. I guess her previous owner fed her everything under the sun because she drives me nuts when we eat anything. The dogs don't beg but the cat sure does. I have had her on a diet since I got her but so far she has only lost a pound or two. And boy howdy is she a terror when her dish is empty. She will wake me up even by meowing, jumping around the bed and smacking me in the face with her paw. She is a real pita sometimes lol. But she is so cute despite being blind in one eye ( it swirls around, it is so freaky!) and having a stub for a tail.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,959,589 times
Kathleen - glad she was able to get down on her own! I've got a chubby cat too. He goes around and finishes off all the other bowls - even tries to get the dogs food while the dog is eating! It's hard to put one on a diet when there are multiple cats. My son keeps insisting Rory isn't fat - he's fluffy.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,685,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Kathleen - glad she was able to get down on her own! I've got a chubby cat too. He goes around and finishes off all the other bowls - even tries to get the dogs food while the dog is eating! It's hard to put one on a diet when there are multiple cats. My son keeps insisting Rory isn't fat - he's fluffy.
Hee. I will have to try claiming that for Sophie next time I am at the vet. Unfortunately she is so fat her belly drags on the ground and she can only sleep on her back or side. The first night I had her she got into the pantry and opened a bag of bbq chips and went to town. Thankfully she has learned not to mess with the dog's food. I have 3 big ones and they will not let her near their bowls at dinner time. But everything else she seems to think she is entitled to.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
And for the record, she came to me from the pound fat. I guess her previous owner fed her everything under the sun because she drives me nuts when we eat anything. The dogs don't beg but the cat sure does. I have had her on a diet since I got her but so far she has only lost a pound or two. And boy howdy is she a terror when her dish is empty. She will wake me up even by meowing, jumping around the bed and smacking me in the face with her paw. She is a real pita sometimes lol. But she is so cute despite being blind in one eye ( it swirls around, it is so freaky!) and having a stub for a tail.
She sounds like a love. Good for you for rescuing her!

Elizabeth Taylor. One of my favorite people in Hollywood.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,959,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
The first night I had her she got into the pantry and opened a bag of bbq chips and went to town.
The mental picture of that is hilarious!

Our dog is big as well, but very passive when it comes to the food situation. I just have to stand there and keep Rory away. We have an old cat named Sophie as well! He's figured out how to get up where she eats. I've tried to keep them separate since getting the kittens last fall. The kittens are brothers but Rory is just rolly polly and Rudy is a tiny thing compared to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.