Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
rkb - give me a call and we'll suffer together....my 9C/D's won't feel so out of place...
we could probably share shoes! I hate going shopping specifically looking for a certain kind of shoe because I will never find it. I have to buy what fits when I happen to find it.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
we could probably share shoes! I hate going shopping specifically looking for a certain kind of shoe because I will never find it. I have to buy what fits when I happen to find it.
I know exactly what you mean. If I find a pair of decently priced shoes that fit and I don't mind (I've gotten to the point that I don't even think about what I LIKE, I think about what I don't mind...), I've been known to buy a couple pair (different colors) because who knows when I'll find anything again. I often have had luck at Famous Footwear but not this time.....

Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
I'd been kinda sorta in The Walking Company before but just not ready for "those" shoes.
The sandals and walking shoes they sell (and that's what I'm looking for right now) are THE style here. It took me a couple of years before I went that way, but then I realised a lot of it is because of the desert terrain. If you're going to do any walking/hiking here you need a shoe that will grip.

I actually bought men's hiking shoes for a trip to Sedona when DH was on a ride and tie. I knew I was going to be doing a lot of walking on loose rock and didn't want to break my neck.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
mm - put pumpkins in that spot!

There seems to always be a spot that struggles in our lawn as well. I would put rock in maybe. We're thinking about that along the edge of our front yard.
My HOA might have apoplexy ...We're already on their list from a few years ago when DD had her graduation party and there were (gasp) cars parked on the street but not in the driveway (apparently they don't understand the concept of an "open house" whereas people are constantly coming and going so there is no way to really ensure that the driveway is ALWAYS utilized before the street)! The flurry of letters and emails back and forth over several months was.....entertaining...they finally backed off. Haven't heard much from them since. Our house needs repainting too. Hoping to hold off for another year not sure if we'll be able to.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
I'm so jealous of people with size 6 feet! I have big, wide feet, and I hate shoe shopping.
And all the cute shoes on the sales racks are always size 6!

Quote:
I do the same. When I'm searching for a certain color and style, I can't find it. As a result, I'll buy anything I like when I see it.

Sort of a waste of money but it's the only way I can have shoes I like. I'm afraid to buy shoes off of the internet because shoes rarely fit.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
My HOA might have apoplexy ...We're already on their list from a few years ago when DD had her graduation party and there were (gasp) cars parked on the street but not in the driveway (apparently they don't understand the concept of an "open house" whereas people are constantly coming and going so there is no way to really ensure that the driveway is ALWAYS utilized before the street)! The flurry of letters and emails back and forth over several months was.....entertaining...they finally backed off. Haven't heard much from them since. Our house needs repainting too. Hoping to hold off for another year not sure if we'll be able to.
That's insane. I always wondered how strict HOA parking rules applied to entertaining.

Would they be less likely to give you a hassle if you notified them in advance of a party?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's insane. I always wondered how strict HOA parking rules applied to entertaining.

Would they be less likely to give you a hassle if you notified them in advance of a party?
Yes, most likely they would. But honestly, that didn't occur to me....I can understand not wanting people constantly parking on the streets for every day...it can make the street look crowded and people end up storing boats that don't fit in the garage in their driveway and keeping their cars on the street and that's what they want to avoid. But to go around randomly and "report" the occasional car(s) parked on the street is a bit over the top - especially when it was obvious what the situation was. Seriously. There was a sign in the yard and banner on the garage people were in and out, lights were on. And it was not even 11 pm. On a Saturday. On a holiday weekend. It was absurd.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
I've got new neighbors (the ones I watched move in a few weeks ago) who just hung up Christmas lights all around their house. And, yes, they are turning them on at night. Festive but odd. (The HOA truck doesn't come 'round at night or I'm sure these folks would get A Letter.)

Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM

LOL at "A Letter"....there for awhile, my blood pressure would rise just seeing the envelope....We've gotten A Letter about that section of the yard. Our neighbors have gotten A Letter about too much water usage, I expect to get one about the paint here soon...and it all begins...

Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've got new neighbors (the ones I watched move in a few weeks ago) who just hung up Christmas lights all around their house. And, yes, they are turning them on at night. Festive but odd. (The HOA truck doesn't come 'round at night or I'm sure these folks would get A Letter.)
Are they Mexican? I'm not basing this off of anything but the movies that show Mexican Americans using Christmas lights to decorate for parties.

Quote:
LOL at "A Letter"....there for awhile, my blood pressure would rise just seeing the envelope....We've gotten A Letter about that section of the yard. Our neighbors have gotten A Letter about too much water usage, I expect to get one about the paint here soon...and it all begins...
Glad I'll never get A letter. Our township doesn't even issue citations unless it's really bad.

I should take a picture of the house down the street from me. It would make you glad to live in your HOAs.

(Half the siding has been off the house for two years.)

Pittsburghers really don't care what their neighbors do unless it's a health problem.

As a result, property values aren't based on houses in an immediate neighborhood like in other cities.

My house's assessment comparibles are a couple miles away from where we live.

Property values are very stable here. Always have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.