Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I just got DS7 from the bus stop and it seems we have our first bully to deal with. He's been picking on my son for almost 2 years, but it seems to be getting worse. I think I'll start documenting what he says and does in case I need it in the future.
Very sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted. Maybe we can brainstorm and help you with handling this. Documenting everything is a very good idea. I did that when we had the Neighbors from Hell and had to go to zoning to file complaints to get their brush cleared during fire season. (I wasn't going to loose my house beause of an idiot.)

Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Aw your poor DS.

FWIW I was bullied pretty much from K-8th grade. I went to a small school and we only had 10 girls in my class, 18 in the whole grade. It was brutal. There was a party in 8th grade and every single person was invited but me, and the person doing the inviting did it during class telling the teacher he had one for everyone.

In 7th grade someone invited me to a party with drinking so I called my mom to go home. I was 13! For the record my mom isn't the type to call up the mom and talk about this, she would of just said "Ok you did the right thing if you where uncomfortable". Well I guess after I left 4 other girls wanted to go home, and one of the other girls' mom picked the 4 up and went back to said girls house. Well apparently I was the only one who did something wrong and I NO ONE spoke to me for the rest of that year. We ate lunch at our desks because my school didn't have a cafeteria and it was pretty much awful. Not to mention everyone called me hairy gorilla and would yell at me if I even looked at them.

The best part about being bullied is when you grow up and do better than the bully you can laugh in their face when they, inevitably, peak at 15.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I'm sorry Ohio. That sounds awful. My son is absolutely adorable in my eyes, but he wears glasses, and is just a little awkward. He is the oldest in his class, so this kid picks on him for being in a lower grade (even though they are the same age), calls him a girl, etc. So far DH and I have told him to ignore it, but I know that won't be enough.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry Ohio. That sounds awful. My son is absolutely adorable in my eyes, but he wears glasses, and is just a little awkward. He is the oldest in his class, so this kid picks on him for being in a lower grade (even though they are the same age), calls him a girl, etc. So far DH and I have told him to ignore it, but I know that won't be enough.
I have always found laughing in the other persons face effective also being very clever in comebacks. Of course 7 year olds don't usually think that quickly.

Like if he said "Eww you have glasses" he could say back "I understand your jealousy but this is really getting old".

I was also one of the oldest in my class. It rocks later on because you can drive, drink and vote before everyone else.

I really do believe that a little bit of bullying helps you later in life. Like if I am at work or school and my boss/co-worker or class mate isn't the nicest person I am WAY better at handling it than most of my friends. I have friends who literally fall to pieces if someone looks at them the wrong way.

It's different with girls though.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 PM

I was bullied in Jr. High. I was the smallest girl in the school (like 70 pounds and four feet tall small) and didn't have the "cool" clothes or the right hair. Plus I was the tomboy. On just about the last day of 9th grade the girl who was my special tormentor was forced to sit next to me on the bus on a field trip. Somehow we managed to start talking and at the end of the ride she said to me, "You know, you aren't so bad after all."

Yeah. Well, thanks for figuring that out.

I agree with you Ohiogirl. It does help you later in life. It actually helped me in my writing because I used to fill my journals to get it all off my chest. (Didn't have one of those either.) But it's horrible while it's happening.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:

My son is one of the oldest in his class too, and before about 6 months ago, probably one of the smallest (finally got a growth spurt at 17).

Not sure I have any good advice though. My little guy always had a temper we had to work on, so the other kids knew to leave him alone. He took down a kid in line one time because he was doing something to his friend....also used the tether ball to wallop a girl in the head because she was laughing at him. So not sure if I'd recommend what he did, but it was effective for him.

Hopefully yours can just ignore and maybe the bully will get tired of it since he's not getting any reaction. I know it's easier said than done though.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was bullied in Jr. High. I was the smallest girl in the school (like 70 pounds and four feet tall small) and didn't have the "cool" clothes or the right hair. Plus I was the tomboy. On just about the last day of 9th grade the girl who was my special tormentor was forced to sit next to me on the bus on a field trip. Somehow we managed to start talking and at the end of the ride she said to me, "You know, you aren't so bad after all."

I agree with you Ohiogirl. It does help you later in life. It actually helped me in my writing because I used to fill my journals to get it all off my chest. (Didn't have one of those either.) But it's horrible while it's happening.
It's always so interesting for my to hear about people being small.

I am short (5'3) and curvy (125 lbs) and I have been this big since I was 11. I was wearing under wire when everyone else was wearing undershirts.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I am short (5'3) and curvy (125 lbs) and I have been this big since I was 11. I was wearing under wire when everyone else was wearing undershirts.
I have never in my life owned an under wire. When God gave out bosoms I was in the next room.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
txt, didn't anyone ever tell you not to burn bridges? Now you can't use him as a reference. you are not going to get ahead like this.
I didn't quit in such a way that I can't use him as a reference, he said I could and hated to see me leave but if the job wasn't going to work out then it wasn't going to work out and that he only wishes that "the girl he hired that was sitting in his office back in january was still the same person today"

Old 04-06-2011, 06:38 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Awww, hugs to you guys. It sucks, I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

You two have figured out how to use it to your advantage, that's good. I don't know if y'all read my long and involved story in the latest bullying thread - I'm not sure if it improved me or not (I don't think it did) but I wish kids didn't have to go through it and there was an easier path to enlightenment, that's for sure.

mm - Top Chef reunion! Thanks, I would've forgotten. You're a gem for reminding me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting