Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Orville Redenbacher is the only popcorn I buy. Truly. I won't eat microwave popcorn. I love popcorn but if I'm going to bite the bullet and eat it (not often), it must be OR, popped in oil, with real butter on it.

So....on another thread I asked this same question...I'll pose it to you all....If you won the lottery...how would your day to day life change (if at all)....?
I like to think that I'd be really smart about it if I ever came into a lot of money. We'd move to a bigger, better located house in a nearby neighborhood, keep the kids in the same school. Instead of going back to work, I'd find a place to volunteer. I'd donate to our church. Probably buy a place in the mountains. We'd take better vacations. I think day to day life would stay about the same. Kids have to go to school. I'm too controlling to let other people run my errands, so I'd still do all that. I'd for sure have someone clean my house, and possibly do some of the cooking. It's fun to dream. I never play the lottery, so I will most likely never win!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
Quote:
I never play the lottery, so I will most likely never win!
LOL - I have that same problem! Very occasionally (once or twice a year? Tops.) I'll play....then I forget to check the numbers!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I like to think that I'd be really smart about it if I ever came into a lot of money. We'd move to a bigger, better located house in a nearby neighborhood, keep the kids in the same school. Instead of going back to work, I'd find a place to volunteer. I'd donate to our church. Probably buy a place in the mountains. We'd take better vacations. I think day to day life would stay about the same. Kids have to go to school. I'm too controlling to let other people run my errands, so I'd still do all that. I'd for sure have someone clean my house, and possibly do some of the cooking. It's fun to dream. I never play the lottery, so I will most likely never win!
There's a family in my area like that. They won the lottery about 20 years ago. They didn't change their lives except for quitting their jobs. They still live in the same little house and have the same life long friends today. Still don't work. They managed their winnings very well. Their personalities didn't change.

I don't play the lottery either. Hubby started buying tickets a few years ago. He wants to retire early. I tease him all the time saying he needs a new plan.

My fantatsies are purely for entertainment. Afterall, I wouldn't be able to afford the things in my fantasies even if I won the lottery. Bill Gates doesn't even own as many homes throughout the world as I do in my dreams.

My husband is another reason I know my fantasy would never turn out as planned. I'd still have to contend with his dream of living a simple life in the wilderness. When I bring up wanting to live around the world, he says we can travel and live in hotels. He has always been the sensible one. That's why he's such a great match for me. I suspect I'd be living in the wilderness because I'd prefer to keep hubby.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
OK, here's my gripe of the day. Why, in this day and age, do so many people still assume women are these pathetic creatures that can't take care of themselves? We had cub scout "planning meeting" for our den camping trip this weekend. Since I am a SAHM I said I could drive up ahead, set up tents, get the fire going, etc, so when everyone else got there after work in the dark it was done. DH thought it was a good plan. The other men asked would I be okay just me and a bunch of kids at a scout camp site for a couple of hours without the men folk around? Would I manage to set up the tents? Did I know how to start a fire? Are we women folk really that pathetic, or are these guys just behind the times (and azzholes)?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,960,237 times
Zimbo - it's a great idea that you go ahead because the boys can actually help and learn to set up a tent (if they don't know how). Let's face it - if the men went up at first, they'd take over and most likely not let the boys help!

It's possible their women folk wouldn't know how to do or would be willing, so aren't used to a strong, capable woman!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,960,237 times
By the way - good morning everyone! Weird schedule last week and this week because of the state testing. So my son doesn't go to school until later because he doesn't have to do the testing. I can't keep up with what day he leaves when. And DH is out of town all week which throws the routine off even more.....

We must have the latest spring break of anyone - we don't have it until next week.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
OK, here's my gripe of the day. Why, in this day and age, do so many people still assume women are these pathetic creatures that can't take care of themselves? We had cub scout "planning meeting" for our den camping trip this weekend. Since I am a SAHM I said I could drive up ahead, set up tents, get the fire going, etc, so when everyone else got there after work in the dark it was done. DH thought it was a good plan. The other men asked would I be okay just me and a bunch of kids at a scout camp site for a couple of hours without the men folk around? Would I manage to set up the tents? Did I know how to start a fire? Are we women folk really that pathetic, or are these guys just behind the times (and azzholes)?
It could be worse. My son's boy scout troop didn't want females on the camping trips that didn't have bathroom facilities!

Their excuse was they didnt' want to dig extra holes for women. Meanwhile, a woman can dig her own bathroom hole in the ground! Whatever.

The ratio is best at 1 adult to 5 scouts in the younger years. I not sure how many kids you were planning to take alone. I thought I'd mention it.

My husband was a boy scout leader for my son's troop for over a decade. It's a great experience for kids. When your son is near the pre-teen stage, he'll want to quit. I highly recommend forcing him to stick with it. The scouts get to go on amazing trips when they're just a little bit older. The bigger trips were three weeks long. Those included, sailing the Florida Keys, hiking in the mountains of New Mexico, kayaking. The shorter, one week trips were in Canada and throughout the states immediately near us.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times
Default scout camping

I'm not sure Zimbo. The scout leader in charge of hikes and camp outs for our pack asked DH if we were going on the camp out this spring. He told DH it was a nice way to get the kids introduced to camping (It is a 15 minute drive away and has real bathrooms). DH then informed him that DS has been tent camping since he was 11 months old, and most recently car-camped near Moab, UT with zero facilities. People should know their audience before they start talking.

I found some summer pants that fit at, of all places, Target. Spring may begin now

Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Zimbo - it's a great idea that you go ahead because the boys can actually help and learn to set up a tent (if they don't know how). Let's face it - if the men went up at first, they'd take over and most likely not let the boys help!

It's possible their women folk wouldn't know how to do or would be willing, so aren't used to a strong, capable woman!
You are probably right, and it's their domain. What is ironic is these same guys send their wives and daughters off for mommy and me camping without the saem concers. Ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It could be worse. My son's boy scout troop didn't want females on the camping trips that didn't have bathroom facilities!

Their excuse was they didnt' want to dig extra holes for women. Meanwhile, a woman can dig her own bathroom hole in the ground! Whatever.

The ratio is best at 1 adult to 5 scouts in the younger years. I not sure how many kids you were planning to take alone. I thought I'd mention it.

My husband was a boy scout leader for my son's troop for over a decade. It's a great experience for kids. When your son is near the pre-teen stage, he'll want to quit. I highly recommend forcing him to stick with it. The scouts get to go on amazing trips when they're just a little bit older. The bigger trips were three weeks long. Those included, sailing the Florida Keys, hiking in the mountains of New Mexico, kayaking. The shorter, one week trips were in Canada and throughout the states immediately near us.
This is the family camping weekend, as opposed to just the scout with leaders. Scouting really is great. I do have a big problem with their anti-gay stance, but we did eventually compromise . And we did tell them we were atheists when we joined. That is against the rules, but nobody cared.

The kids have had some great trips so far. Last year they spent the night on an aircraft carrier, and later this year are headed to the U.S Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville for a few days.

I would like my son to stay in the organization when he's older, but they get so busy. We'll have to see.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm not sure Zimbo. The scout leader in charge of hikes and camp outs for our pack asked DH if we were going on the camp out this spring. He told DH it was a nice way to get the kids introduced to camping (It is a 15 minute drive away and has real bathrooms). DH then informed him that DS has been tent camping since he was 11 months old, and most recently car-camped near Moab, UT with zero facilities. People should know their audience before they start talking.
People around here camp a lot too, so most of the kids are pretty capable. We are pretty limited by the weather though. By the time June comes it's too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.