Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,632,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
All I have to say is #$%& IT!
I know.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,631,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
My husband changed his name when he was about 19. He has a separate sheet of paper, official looking like a birth certificate, that reflects his name change. I would think a transgender person could get that.
That makes sense. Changing the actual birth certificate doesn't make sense though.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,471,009 times
Morning all. The electric garage door quit working last night. Boo. Managed to get it down at least and my car is on the driveway. DH is out of town on business. I'm putting on my contractor's hat this morning to find out what's wrong and get it fixed.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM

13,903 posts, read 10,209,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I know.
Spoiler
Awww, I dunno, I kinda like Mike. He's a bit brash but I like his creativity.
Antonia did two curry dishes - I thought that was a bit lame. *shrug* It was sad to see her go, though. It's kinda cool they came away as cousins, they really didn't like each other prior to that.

I'm pulling for Richard. He has a true artistic spirit. I never like anything I do once I finish it too, so I totally get him.

Dew - bet you look sharp in that hat. I have total faith in you.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Thank you Fin. I'm very thankful it didn't break when it was 100+ outside.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,124,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You have LDS in your area? Where do you live?

That is interesting about certain cultures having modesty issues with sports and gym at schools. My region isn't diverse but the population has always been very tollerant---long before tollerance was popular in the country. Even living among tollerant people, most immigrants assimilate here. Being an extremely small percentage of the population probably inspires them to assimilate. Then again, maybe education has something to do with it. We dont' get many uneducated immigrants. Our immigrant population tends to be highly educated. It's funny, our home grown population does the labor jobs here; whereas, our immigrants are usually in the upper classes.
I have had problems with modesty and sports. I always wanted to play volleyball at school but wouldn't do it because of the teeny tiny shorts they wear. P.E. wasn't a problem for me because I just wore shorts that went to my knees. Yes, I was strange and a prude (on my own accord) even back in junior high. I can see it being a problem for those who believe girls should not wear pants.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,652,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I have had problems with modesty and sports. I always wanted to play volleyball at school but wouldn't do it because of the teeny tiny shorts they wear. P.E. wasn't a problem for me because I just wore shorts that went to my knees. Yes, I was strange and a prude (on my own accord) even back in junior high. I can see it being a problem for those who believe girls should not wear pants.
Exactly. We actually managed to resolve some of these issues for the kids. In Islam you cannot show the outline of the body, so men can't tuck in shirts, some women cover their heads, etc. The local basketball authority was causing the issues. So we worked it out that the boys could leave their shirts untucked, and the girls could wear long running pants under their shorts, and a head covering. Same for some orthodox Jews. In LDS it was the choice of swimsuits, and it took all of 5 minutes for the state PTA to show the swim morons that you could get team girls swim suits with longer legs to match. I sometimes don't understand people's reluctance to be helpful, they are so defiant against difference sometimes.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,631,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Exactly. We actually managed to resolve some of these issues for the kids. In Islam you cannot show the outline of the body, so men can't tuck in shirts, some women cover their heads, etc. The local basketball authority was causing the issues. So we worked it out that the boys could leave their shirts untucked, and the girls could wear long running pants under their shorts, and a head covering. Same for some orthodox Jews. In LDS it was the choice of swimsuits, and it took all of 5 minutes for the state PTA to show the swim morons that you could get team girls swim suits with longer legs to match. I sometimes don't understand people's reluctance to be helpful, they are so defiant against difference sometimes.
It's wonderful you were able to encourage the school and teams to accomodate them.

I'm also glad they were merely seeking accomodations and not expecting everyone else to change. Diversity needs to go both ways.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,652,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's wonderful you were able to encourage the school and teams to accomodate them.

I'm also glad they were merely seeking accomodations and not expecting everyone else to change. Diversity needs to go both ways.
Yes, indeed it does need to go both ways. Sometimes it's as simple as people going into a discussion being willing to listen, as opposed to anticipating unreasonable demands.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Hopes: There are a LOT of LDS where PSR is. (SoCal.)

So, I'm learning about garage doors. I HATE having an HOA. Yes, you may. No, you may not. Sheesh. Drove around to see what other people have. Basically, everybody in this part of the state has the same bloomin door! I asked the HOA if I could put in windows and they said, As long as they match your neighbors'. Dang, I'd love to pick out some freaky windows and watch the man in the HOA truck hit the breaks and have a conniption fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting