Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times

Advertisements

All the newer developments around here have militant HOA's. I'm way too much of a rebel at heart, I would find it very claustrophobic. We do have an HOA, but our lot sizes are 1.5 to 5 acres, with a few even bigger. So no one really cares what you do to your house, they are more concerned with common areas, pool, tennis court, club house.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,094,077 times
I don't do HOA's. See, I like to do things such as hang our clothes to dry in our backyard. Many HOA's will not let you do that. Plus, I don't want to have to be paying the company money every month.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,844,744 times
Well tomorrow I am going on a little Florida vacation. I will see everyone in about a week!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,965,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Plus, I don't want to have to be paying the company money every month.
Which are outrageous! That's why we got rid of the one managing ours. We just have a small common area and a couple areas that have to have snow removal. Our fees are only $58 a quarter.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,965,146 times
txt and mm - glad things are getting better. They are saying that this year is shaping up to be as bad or worse than 2002. Which doesn't bode well. I can't believe how dry March has been.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:59 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I hope you all stay safe and away from the fire. That said...txtqueen. Now maybe you have some vague idea why it's a good idea to keep your room moderately straightened, or at least somewhat organized. Just remember the more crap you have, the easier it'll be for a fire to completely destroy your room and everything in it.

Although, I doubt even an emergency mandated evactuation will contribute to your comprehension.
Yeah I HAD my room like that, I went through my WHOLE room and my clothes and had organized everything at the nanny house just to have to the next day later destroy my room by throwing all my clothes into trash bags and putting them into my car. Now all my clothes are on my floor in my room and in boxes and just a mess and I don't even know where to put it all and didn't have anything to organize it with and I have NO shelves in my closet and no hangers.

I know it needs to be done and I know I should get it done and I know I would be screwed in the event of a evac but still, those circumstances don't make shelves or hangers appear in my closet to organize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
txt and mm - glad things are getting better. They are saying that this year is shaping up to be as bad or worse than 2002. Which doesn't bode well. I can't believe how dry March has been.
Yeah and its weird how you read about all this stuff and you never think it will happen near your town or anything and it always happens in like FoCo or Golden and stuff like that and all the tornadoes happen out in Kansas but my town had a tornado like 2 years ago and now we're having fires.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,825,924 times
On HOA's...hubby wants us to move to the Villages when he retires. We currently live in the burbs, and we never even -heard- of HOA communities til my parents retired to one in Florida. I honestly really had never heard of such a thing and the entire concept is insane, to me. We have zoning laws in our town; that should be good enough. Apparently though, the Stepford Wives communities are very popular, even to women.

So in the Villages, you're not allowed to build a fence. At all. There are only certain trees you're allowed to plant, and in most of the village sections, you cannot plant fruit trees (it's in Florida). There is a list of approved colors for your home and door and shingles. You're not allowed to leave your car in your driveway overnight; it must be put in the garage. You're not allowed to paint your driveway, and in fact you're only allowed to have a custom-designed driveway, if you live in a section that provides for custom designs. And then, you are allowed to have only whichever one you select from their approved list.

You're not allowed to have satellite dishes on top of your home, or solar panels without getting approval from the Board, because it might look aesthetically disleasing. You're not allowed to put signs on your front lawn (such as, "Welcome to the Smith House!").

Tag sales in the driveway are verboten.

It goes on and on and on... I stopped at the "sorry, you're not allowed to build a fence on these properties, but these other properties that are 5-feet apart from each other, do come with fences, and you're not allowed to change them or remove them" part. Hubby still wants us to live there. I told him if we can find a place in the older part of the Villages, where they don't have such HOA restrictions, where people are allowed to put up privacy hedges, where you can put your car in your driveway whenever you like, where you're allowed to hang a birdfeeder from your tree without getting permission in triplicate, where you're allowed to paint your house lavender if that's how you REALLY want to present yourself...then I'd seriously consider moving there.

But the newer section, people have no privacy UNLESS they live in the sardine-can called "villas" that are literally only a few feet away from each other and positioned at an angle to provide the most quantity of homes per block. The back yards are only maybe 10 feet deep. The side yards are around 8 feet deep, and the other side is just a walkway between your house and the next house. It's apartment living, with JUST enough grass between each apartment that you have to pay someone to apply pesticide regularly and mow the lawn.

Well, unless you can get permission from the board to rip the lawn out and apply stone. But then you have to do the weedkiller thing and you -still- have to do the pesticide thing...

I dunno. I just really hate Florida.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 AM

13,502 posts, read 10,001,252 times
Yeah, Anon, I wouldn't move there. Sounds like you'd be miserable.

Morning all! Sounds like you all had an exciting evening.

Dew
- did you ever listen to Phil Hendrie in LA? He had a hilarious character that was president of a HOA. Nailed that whole mentality perfectly.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,217,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Well tomorrow I am going on a little Florida vacation. I will see everyone in about a week!
Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Which are outrageous! That's why we got rid of the one managing ours. We just have a small common area and a couple areas that have to have snow removal. Our fees are only $58 a quarter.
Our HOA is huge, $127/quarter. The biggest plus is use of 4 rec centers. That's 4 tracks, 4 gyms, 4 indoor pools, 4 outdoor pools, etc.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,496,212 times
Morning all....the fire here is 70% contained, all evacuations lifted with no damage to any structures...the wind has died down considerably so things should be good.

Happy Friday to all and ohiogirl - enjoy your vacation! How nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.