Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Dang! I had an absolutely whiz-bang answer and the thread got closed.

Poopers.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Oh man. Julia, you were a bit too quick for me. I had just come up with my response, and it was closed.
Yeah she was! Like an itchy trigger finger! But it need to be done because my response was similar to jeepgirl.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
aw man... the thread was closed before I had a chance to comment. Oh well. I'm sure you all covered it!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Luxury!

Actually a lot of threads kind of end up like that .... . Or any conversation involving a certain 21 year old.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Hello All! Hope you are enjoying your lunch.

What do you guys do when all your kid wants is a hot dog for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I make Toddler X eggs, bacon, toast or sausage and he will eat the sausage or have a hot dog leaving the rest. I make him spaghetti or some other hot meal for lunch and he will cry until he has a hot dog. I make dinner and he would rather have a hot dog (only exceptations is if I make a chicken curry or a flank steak with chimchurri sauce). Anybody gone through this?
My sister has this problem with her one child. I don't know why she caters to him.

I read once that if you serve something to a child 10 times, the child will eventually try it becasue the food starts to look familiar on the plate after seeing it there 10 times.

I always served my children what I made for myself. I didn't prepare separate meals for them. It was here's breakfast, here's lunch, here's dinner.

It helps if you are sitting down and eating the meal with them. When parents just serve the children to eat at the table themselves, they feel like they have options because they're not getting the message that this is the family meal and this is what we're eating right now.

First things first. You have to stop giving him a hot dog when he cries for one. Tell him you're out of hot dogs. He might have a fit for a few days. But he wont' starve to death.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 PM

I do not understand it. What is wrong with the youth of today? When I was 21 I was living on my own, my mother rarely if ever helped me...if anything I was always helping her and my sister. Its like all I hear is my parents need to do this for me, my parents better pay that for me, I don't want kids because my parents could not give me that xbox I wanted one Christmas....I actually know some like this within my own family and there are times were I want to clip them behind the ears. What grates me is when they say, you do not understand you are not as young as me. Around ten years ago I was and life has not changed that much....only technology.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My sister has this problem with her one child. I don't know why she caters to him.

I read once that if you serve something to a child 10 times, the child will eventually try it becasue the food starts to look familiar on the plate after seeing it there 10 times.

I always served my children what I made for myself. I didn't prepare separate meals for them. It was here's breakfast, here's lunch, here's dinner.

It helps if you are sitting down and eating the meal with them. When parents just serve the children to eat at the table themselves, they feel like they have options because they're not getting the message that this is the family meal and this is what we're eating right now.

First things first. You have to stop giving him a hot dog when he cries for one. Tell him you're out of hot dogs. He might have a fit for a few days. But he wont' starve to death.
Thank you Hopes! I actually hide them behind the cheese because he is not a fan of cheese. Right now we are sitting down to mac and cheese and meatloaf. I hope he eats it cause it is super delish!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
I do not understand it. What is wrong with the youth of today? When I was 21 I was living on my own, my mother rarely if ever helped me...if anything I was always helping her and my sister. Its like all I hear is my parents need to do this for me, my parents better pay that for me, I don't want kids because my parents could not give me that xbox I wanted one Christmas....I actually know some like this within my own family and there are times were I want to clip them behind the ears. What grates me is when they say, you do not understand you are not as young as me. Around ten years ago I was and life has not changed that much....only technology.
I will have to say, the sense of entitlement is disturbing to say the least.

Quote:
What do you guys do when all your kid wants is a hot dog for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I make Toddler X eggs, bacon, toast or sausage and he will eat the sausage or have a hot dog leaving the rest. I make him spaghetti or some other hot meal for lunch and he will cry until he has a hot dog. I make dinner and he would rather have a hot dog (only exceptations is if I make a chicken curry or a flank steak with chimchurri sauce). Anybody gone through this?
Mrs X - I agree with Hopes. Believe it or not, he won't starve! We sometimes had struggles when ours was little, but I also just made the one meal. Those were the options. And it's funny what they will learn to like!

For years our son hated asparagus. It's only been recently that he will eat it. He's 17 But darn it - I still always make him put some on his plate and take a bite. Eventually there was some way I cooked it that he really, really liked it. And that was only recently.

If it's gotten him to do one thing at least it's that he'll at least give something a shot and be a bit adventurous with food. Might not always like it but hey - neither do I!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Happy Birthday RBK. I hope I am not too late. I spent today finally getting rid of our 10 day house guest. She was supposed to stay for two nights!

Count me among those sorry not to have had the opportunity to put that college kid in his/her place. I encountered "senior day" at the grocery store. I love the elderly, and won't push past them, but they seriously added 2 hours to my $300. spending spree.

Still dealing with fall-out from the wedding. Since the bride and the MOH had a huge fight, I was told to delete the MOH from my FB account. Oh well, she seemed like such a nice girl, but not worth the drama that has embedded itself into my life.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Who told you to delete her? The bride or the MOH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.