Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times

Advertisements

Morning everyone.

I am sure I missed some stuff on here.

Cali, sorry about the break-in. That is a horrible feeling. What are your favorite books? That might give us ideas on suggestions for you.

I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire. I will probably finish The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest tonight. I like the storyline in the books. I am not a huge fan of the writing style though. I found myself skipping paragraphs because I wanted to get back to the story.

I love Philippa Gregory novels. She writes Historical Fiction so well that you get pulled into the world. I read her books to escape sometimes. I will try to think of more for you.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Morning!

Everyone have fun/interesting plans for the day?

Hope Calgirl got some sleep last night.

FR - so now I've caught up with all the Masterchef episodes.....I'm finding it hard to stay as focused on what's happening as I do Top Chef...but it is interesting for sure. And yes, the 18 yo freshman - pfft. What an arrogant little snot. Same with Suzy. She does seem to have the chops but she needs to be knocked down a peg or two.
Oh ITA, MC is not as riveting as TC, but I am enjoying it. I understand what you were talking about re TC masters - I couldn't get into the first season either, it was a bunch of kiss ass. I watched the last one a bit, but there's something missing - it's like the chefs don't have anything much to lose, like the stakes aren't so high, or something.

I think the scope of abilities from the non proffessionals on MC are amazing. I like to see people pushed beyond what they think they could accomplish. It's quite inspiring. (Except for Suzy. She is already convinced there's nothing she can't do. I expect that she's going to find out otherwise soon enough. I don't mind that she has confidence in herself, but humble doesn't seem to be in her vocabulary).

Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh ITA, MC is not as riveting as TC, but I am enjoying it. I understand what you were talking about re TC masters - I couldn't get into the first season either, it was a bunch of kiss ass. I watched the last one a bit, but there's something missing - it's like the chefs don't have anything much to lose, like the stakes aren't so high, or something.

I think the scope of abilities from the non proffessionals on MC are amazing. I like to see people pushed beyond what they think they could accomplish. It's quite inspiring. (Except for Suzy. She is already convinced there's nothing she can't do. I expect that she's going to find out otherwise soon enough. I don't mind that she has confidence in herself, but humble doesn't seem to be in her vocabulary).
I agree....

Re MC - I too am amazed at what these non-professionals can do....wow. I do feel bad for them sometimes....the chopping apples for 2 solid hours? And that one judge can be really downright nasty....

I am enjoying it though! Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Sorry, Calgirl. I don't blame you for being nervous. Do you have outside lights you can leave on?

Morning everyone.

Oh, just thinking of the "Morning Guy" with the two ditzy sidekicks in L.A. If you're talking about Steve I've had a crush on him since I was in college. He subbed doing the weather one morning on Good Morning America. This is in the 70's. I was getting ready to go to school and was watching TV. When I came out of my room my mother said, "Did you see that guy?!" He was a total cutie when he was younger.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:04 AM

OK Fin - you or jkcoop can maybe answer this about MC - probably very simple answer that I just am not paying close enough attention to get. STory of my life.

During the main challenge, Ramsey says that the judges will only taste the top 3 dishes. If they don't taste them, how do they know which are the top 3? Plus - it seems that they go on to taste them all anyway?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
OK Fin - you or jkcoop can maybe answer this about MC - probably very simple answer that I just am not paying close enough attention to get. STory of my life.

During the main challenge, Ramsey says that the judges will only taste the top 3 dishes. If they don't taste them, how do they know which are the top 3? Plus - it seems that they go on to taste them all anyway?
They pick the top 3 by looks and how they think they will be after walking around and talking to them while they are preparing. That's why they really have to make something that stands out. They only taste the top 3. There are some challenges where they will taste everyone's. That's the elimination challenges.

What I find amazing is when they are walking around talking to them about what they are doing and a judge gives a definite critique - but they don't listen - they are NEVER looked at for the top 3. I'd be changing things if a judge gave me some advice!

I do really like the show because it's regular people. I was sorry that the truck driver went so soon. I just liked him - he seemed sweet!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Morning everyone.

I am sure I missed some stuff on here.

Cali, sorry about the break-in. That is a horrible feeling. What are your favorite books? That might give us ideas on suggestions for you.

I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire. I will probably finish The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest tonight. I like the storyline in the books. I am not a huge fan of the writing style though. I found myself skipping paragraphs because I wanted to get back to the story.

I love Philippa Gregory novels. She writes Historical Fiction so well that you get pulled into the world. I read her books to escape sometimes. I will try to think of more for you.
Loved that book series. I just ordered one called The Translator that is supposed to be similar in style. I placed a big book order at B & N last night. I hope we get a library soon. Our city passed a bond issue to build one, but they didn't include the money to stock or staff it.

For pure escapism humor, I like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I'm a Jersey girl, so they ring true for me.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
They pick the top 3 by looks and how they think they will be after walking around and talking to them while they are preparing. That's why they really have to make something that stands out. They only taste the top 3. There are some challenges where they will taste everyone's. That's the elimination challenges.

What I find amazing is when they are walking around talking to them about what they are doing and a judge gives a definite critique - but they don't listen - they are NEVER looked at for the top 3. I'd be changing things if a judge gave me some advice!

I do really like the show because it's regular people. I was sorry that the truck driver went so soon. I just liked him - he seemed sweet!
Ah! See....that's what happens when I'm not paying close attention....apparently getting the challenges confused.....I'm kinda liking the pierced guy...website designer. He always seems very earnest and nervous then surprised when he's still there. I liked the SAHD at first...now, I'm not as sure....jury's still out on him. I was sad to see Alligator guy go (is that the truck driver?)

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
I was sad to see Alligator guy go (is that the truck driver?)
I think that was someone different - we did miss one episode when they weeded a whole bunch out right off the bat.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry, Calgirl. I don't blame you for being nervous. Do you have outside lights you can leave on?

Morning everyone.

Oh, just thinking of the "Morning Guy" with the two ditzy sidekicks in L.A. If you're talking about Steve I've had a crush on him since I was in college. He subbed doing the weather one morning on Good Morning America. This is in the 70's. I was getting ready to go to school and was watching TV. When I came out of my room my mother said, "Did you see that guy?!" He was a total cutie when he was younger.
Dew, he was adorable. Had a lovely 'fro going on.

Quote:
Ah! See....that's what happens when I'm not paying close attention....apparently getting the challenges confused.....I'm kinda liking the pierced guy...website designer. He always seems very earnest and nervous then surprised when he's still there. I liked the SAHD at first...now, I'm not as sure....jury's still out on him. I was sad to see Alligator guy go (is that the truck driver?)
I like pierced guy too. I'm a little dubious about Esther. I think she has some good food, but she's so weepy. Not really the constitution of a good chef. The pressure is enormous. I don't like seeing the weepy women. Makes it look like if girls are under the gun, and get stressed, they cry. Boo. Get some balls! Represent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.