Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,184,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
Ok- so she got in to the school where the Boyfriend attends-I have finally realized that she is comfortable there- been there often etc. My mother does not agree and thinks that she should go away out of state and AWAY from the boyfriend- we have not discussed it much with her. she just called a minute ago and I told her that she got the acceptance letter and she kinda went UGH....It really makes me mad b/c she should be so happy for her b/c it is a VERY WELL respected school and every other person talks about what a fine education she will get. As far as the boyfrtiend goes-that is their problem- they are still dating at the moment and I've reminded her that could change any time and would you still be happy there if it does- she says yes.
I learned a long time ago to not pay attention to what relatives think of my children and their decisions. Unless your mother is paying her tuition, her opinion doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,772,612 times
My parents wanted me to go out of state, ideally to a small private college. I chose the big (but very good) public university in state. It worked out great for me. And yes, I married my high school boyfriend after (college) graduation, but even if that hadn't worked out I would have still been happy with my choice of school. It worked for me. It sounds like the school is a good fit, so there's no reason to go somewhere else just because the boyfriend is there, too. If things work out for them, then great; if not, she'll almost certainly meet many other wonderful people there, too. Congratulations to your daughter for getting into what sounds like a great school, and what is, presumably, a good fit for her for reasons that go far beyond just having a boyfriend there. (and, worse case scenario and it's not, she can transfer; a hassle, yes, but in the grand scheme of things not a huge deal) And if the concern is that students should go out of state for college: well, I stayed in the same city for college, left for graduate school, and only came back nearly ten years later. Now it looks like we might be moving again. (and besides, with all the summer internship programs and study abroad programs she can still get out of the city and experience new things and places, so it's not like she'll lack opportunities for exposure to totally new experiences and places. And besides, living somewhere as a college student and adult is very different than living there as a high school student.) It sounds like everything is working out well, so hopefully your mother will accept that and be content, or at least keep her concerns to herself.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:26 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,796 times
Thanks- It's really noones business anyway- I am going to quit telling her things... She hangs out with her friends and most of their grandchildren have gone out of state---- My D wants to go to medical school-My dad was a doctor and he would be so proud-he passed away 4 years ago- and he was her first grandchild-I so wish he was here b/c he would say it is a great choice !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting