Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 03:34 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,255,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Here is how today went (excerpts from an email sent to my best friend)...

Today was the reconstructive surgery, round 1. I got up at 3AM and Hubby got up at 3:45 so we could leave by 4:15 to check in before the crowd. We did valet parking as it is closest to the section of the hospital where they do surgery. Everything went fine—only around 3 hours for anesthesia, procedure, and post anesthesia recovery.

. . . . . At least I got in one glass of wine before heading back out to the pharmacy! I think I will turn in early tonight.

So, how was your day?
I hope you get a good night's sleep, maggie2101, and that your DH recovers perfectly.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Sorry about the negativity from your family about your new car. You like the car and that's what counts! It's a very personal issue, I think. What kind is it? What color? I love cars and have had my own since I was 18. Lately I'm seeing several beautiful colors on new cars. A soft yellow that hasn't been used on cars for many years and gorgeous shades of green including sage, also some lovely shades of blue and a berry color. There are a lot of convertibles here (sunny Florida near the beach) and I often see the PT Cruiser with convertible top. I never wanted a convertible in my younger years because it would mess up my fine worrisome hair but I understand the charm.

Fallingwater, you can add to your own unique car preference by having it custom painted with zebra stripes! Then give it lots of attention and smile while your family gasps with alarm.
A Subie Outback, dark gray. I LOVE it! Ya...everyone can kiss off. Im happy.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Picked up a spiral ham for dinner. The grocery stores are having sales. I was off today so I figured making a big dinner would be great. Well it was horrible. I mean really really horrible! I dont know why. Just toss it in the oven and warm it up. Even adding the brown sugar glaze did nothing. We ate a few bites and decided it was just not any good. So Im a bit paranoid something was wrong with it and we will be sick. Also a kick in the wallet since it was 23 dollars!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times
^^^ If you can and still have the receipts for the ham (also the ham itself) take it back to the store and have them give you a refund. That’s terrible! I had a turkey one year that was like that. After spending hours and hours getting things prepared, we sat down to eat and couldn’t. The turkey was horrible. My guess is that it was frozen, thawed out for a while someplace and refrozen and then sold to me. I returned the tag that came with the turkey and the grocery receipt to the store the first day I could and received a full refund of my money.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^ If you can and still have the receipts for the ham (also the ham itself) take it back to the store and have them give you a refund. That’s terrible! I had a turkey one year that was like that. After spending hours and hours getting things prepared, we sat down to eat and couldn’t. The turkey was horrible. My guess is that it was frozen, thawed out for a while someplace and refrozen and then sold to me. I returned the tag that came with the turkey and the grocery receipt to the store the first day I could and received a full refund of my money.
I think that is what happened to the ham. It must have been refrozen or something. Yuck.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times
^^ I've seen people leave frozen items on a different shelf in the store without taking them back to the freezer area where they originally picked them up, just because they changed their minds...... Also refrigerated items sitting out in areas that are not cooled.... Why do people do that? I end up taking the item back to the meat department or produce where I give it back to a store employee to deal with it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times
I'm getting so frustrated with my tiny apartment and my lack of ability to organize it ... Right now, my apartment looks totally dysfunctional and I just haven't the clue as to how to get it looking halfway decent. I know I have too much stuff but there's only so much I can throw out/give away. I really need to move but now's not the best time. I just need to figure out what I can do to make my place look decent so I don't have to be embarrassed when I have company over. I've been dealing with this issue for nearly 13 years and fed up!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 AM

21,567 posts, read 8,745,386 times
Chatteress, Real Simple magazine has a lot of great tips on how to simplify your life and organize your space. I love their website. Real Simple

Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,094,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'm getting so frustrated with my tiny apartment and my lack of ability to organize it ... Right now, my apartment looks totally dysfunctional and I just haven't the clue as to how to get it looking halfway decent. I know I have too much stuff but there's only so much I can throw out/give away. I really need to move but now's not the best time. I just need to figure out what I can do to make my place look decent so I don't have to be embarrassed when I have company over. I've been dealing with this issue for nearly 13 years and fed up!
Darn...I feel for you. When I was young I had a small place and lots of junque. I finally had enough. I picked out two items I absolutely could do without and donated them to the Goodwill. Then I bought a cheerful colorful throw pillow to brighten up the place. I also bought a small wooden box in which I could store a few of my personal items and laid a colorful piece of fabric over the top.....it acted as a skirt to cover the box which held an amazing amount of junk. It was amazing what these two things did for my place. Everytime I wanted a boost I would pick out an item which I knew that I could part with.....even if it were just a glass nik nak...it was donated. It became a game with me. It's surprising what you think you really need but actually don't.

Don't ever be embarrassed when company comes....they are coming to see your sweet smiling face and not your "things". Keep in mind that most people clean their houses and hide their junk when they know visitors are coming....open their closets and holy cow everything falls out. LOL

Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,425,361 times
Chatt, Bay is right. I love Real Simple. Also, google "Home Organizing Tips" and "Professional Organizers Tips".

Start with the area that is absolutely driving you crazy the most first and allot a few hours. It doesn't matter if you have to break up the time allotment! (I seem to do everything in small time chunks). Get the following supplies ahead of time.

1. Garbage bags.
2. A few medium sized boxes that will be donated.
3. Good boxes and have them all the same size. I like the temporary file boxes from Staples, etc. I also like the shallow boxes that can fit under a bed, sofa, etc. for homes that are short on storage space. (Believe me ...I've had those!).
4. Magic markers.

Take all items one at a time. You want them to end up in four piles -- use now, throw out, donate or go through later. This way you don't have to make a decision while you are cleaning and straigthening on every little thing. Place the undecided items in the temporary file boxes. The goal is to get the boxes out of your immediate living space. Look around for storage you haven't thought about ... in closets behind clothes racks, etc. When the boxes are all the same size it looks neater and you aren't so overwhelmed. Later, go through the boxes and see what you want to part with, what can be better organized, etc.

This was great when I moved. Yes, I had some boxes where I had never parted with things or hadn't got around to organizing the contents (pictures, etc.) I simply picked up all of the boxes and put them in large moving boxes. Voila! Think of it as a "pre move cleanout" and you'll be ready when it's more feasible to move!

Check with several organizations in your area. Some will come out and pick up donated items from your home.

I like organizing things when I have time!I have read where studies say we are less stressed when the piles of clutter and mess are gone. I find that this is true!

I'll send some more hints when I get through with my assessment/ test and working Wednesday. I still owe you some recipes, also -- I haven't forgot!

Good luck!

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 11-13-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics