Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,511,539 times

Advertisements

I had two things I really wanted to get done today. One was to clean up the basement, especially the spare bedroom as our son and daughter-in-law are coming for a few days Monday. The other was to clean the guest bathroom on the main floor so that it would be all "sparkly" while they are here. Had some errands to run first though.

Tonight I got all the furniture moved around downstairs so I could sweep and then mop the floors when I discovered a fairly good sized wet spot on the bedspread. Removed the ceiling tile above it and discovered water dripping from the edge of the toilet flange in the bathroom above (Yes, the guest bathroom).

So now tomorrow afternoon I need to pull the toilet up and replace the wax ring. Then I can clean the bathroom upstairs and then the basement to get ready for Monday. And it is supposed to be sunny and 65 tomorrow afternoon, probably the last time of the year. Perfect weather to finish up the yard work for the year.

Last edited by rrtechno; 11-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,907,468 times
^^^ been there done that! I'm so sorry to hear someone else has that type of issue.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,825,346 times
WAH!!! Hubby and I have to get up at 3AM to leave for the hospital by 4:15. He will have no trouble sleeping for a few hours, but I am not a good sleeper and will probably just toss and turn until it is time to get up.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:50 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,511,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I had two things I really wanted to get done today. One was to clean up the basement, especially the spare bedroom as our son and daughter-in-law are coming for a few days Monday. The other was to clean the guest bathroom on the main floor so that it would be all "sparkly" while they are here. Had some errands to run first though.

Tonight I got all the furniture moved around downstairs so I could sweep and then mop the floors when I discovered a fairly good sized wet spot on the bedspread. Removed the ceiling tile above it and discovered water dripping from the edge of the toilet flange in the bathroom above (Yes, the guest bathroom).

So now tomorrow afternoon I need to pull the toilet up and replace the wax ring. Then I can clean the bathroom upstairs and then the basement to get ready for Monday. And it is supposed to be sunny and 65 tomorrow afternoon, probably the last time of the year. Perfect weather to finish up the yard work for the year.
It ended up that it didn't need to be pulled up after all. The fill valve (ballcock, or whatever you call it in your neck of the woods) was malfunctioning and letting more water into the tank than it should. The riser on the overflow was too tall and the water level in the tank was high enough that water was trickling out at the flush lever hole. Not a steady stream, but enough that it dripped to the floor and seeped under the bowl and around the flange. Replaced the fill valve and cut off the overflow so the water can't get that high anymore.

I guess if we cleaned the bathroom every day we would have noticed it. but there are other things to do. Just the cleanup now and we are ready for the kids to come home tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,907,468 times
^^ Don't ya' just love those repair jobs when they turn around and become less of a problem to fix.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,158,930 times
Disappointed that so many seem to have a problem with my new car purchase. I dont buy new cars often, in fact the last time I had a brand new car was back in 2004. We hold on to cars for a long time and I also detest the car buying process. Everyone I know has bought a brand new car in the past year. So anyway, my mom happened to call me on my way home from the dealership. Thought it was awesome I could test out the blue tooth. When I told her I was calling her from my new car there was an awkward silence. I thought the call dropped, nope she was still there. Her silence was evident she was annoyed, then told me I sounded terrible like I was calling from a tin can. Well guess what, she sounds terrible calling me from her car too. I just never said anything. She bought her brand new car just last year so not sure why she had an attitude. My dad said he would never buy the type car I did. Great. Good for you. My sister said it was terrible I didnt buy an american car. Even though the car I bought is built in the U.S. And my mother n law demanded to know who would be driving it (because she feels I am always bleeding her baby boy dry with my expensive ways).

Pfff...whatever.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
most bad things predicted dont happen. stress peddling is a over active market.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 AM

21,566 posts, read 8,743,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
most bad things predicted dont happen. stress peddling is a over active market.
You need to tell that to my husband. He never runs out of things to worry about!

My rant is that DH is retired, stays home all day and doesn't like me to go out, either. This creates some really frustrating situations. Today I went to the gym as usual with my girlfriend. (DH is always invited, too, but he won't go.) I was delayed getting home for about 30 minutes, and I phoned to let him know so he wouldn't worry. Otherwise he would say, "I thought you were never coming home."

When I arrived, DH was still in his pajamas (at 4:30 in the afternoon). Practically the first thing out of his mouth was, "Come here, you have to do something." Then he handed me a broom and asked me to sweep the leaves off the deck.

"Why didn't you do it while I was out?" I asked

"Because I didn't want to take a shower and get dressed until you got home. And now it's too late. It will be dark by the time I'm finished."

That makes no sense! I hear you saying. OK, this is why it makes perfect sense to my husband:

1. I always take a shower after my workout at the the gym.
2. We always squeegee the shower stall afterward, but DH won't do it himself. (He's tall, heavy and out of shape with a bad heart, and it's awkward for him to bend over.)
3. Because of the above, I always have to take my shower right after his so I can squeegee while the tile is still wet.
4. Therefore, he can't possibly take a shower until I'm home. Got it?

I swept the leaves off the deck -- which took all of two minutes -- but I have been feeling very bent out of shape ever since. Thank you for listening to my rant, I really needed to get that off my chest.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,255,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Disappointed that so many seem to have a problem with my new car purchase. I dont buy new cars often, in fact the last time I had a brand new car was back in 2004. ....
Sorry about the negativity from your family about your new car. You like the car and that's what counts! It's a very personal issue, I think. What kind is it? What color? I love cars and have had my own since I was 18. Lately I'm seeing several beautiful colors on new cars. A soft yellow that hasn't been used on cars for many years and gorgeous shades of green including sage, also some lovely shades of blue and a berry color. There are a lot of convertibles here (sunny Florida near the beach) and I often see the PT Cruiser with convertible top. I never wanted a convertible in my younger years because it would mess up my fine worrisome hair but I understand the charm.

Fallingwater, you can add to your own unique car preference by having it custom painted with zebra stripes! Then give it lots of attention and smile while your family gasps with alarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
You need to tell that to my husband. He never runs out of things to worry about!

My rant is that DH is retired, stays home all day and doesn't like me to go out, either. This creates some really frustrating situations. Today I went to the gym as usual with my girlfriend. (DH is always invited, too, but he won't go.) I was delayed getting home for about 30 minutes, and I phoned to let him know so he wouldn't worry. Otherwise he would say, "I thought you were never coming home."

When I arrived, DH was still in his pajamas (at 4:30 in the afternoon). Practically the first thing out of his mouth was, "Come here, you have to do something." Then he handed me a broom and asked me to sweep the leaves off the deck.

"Why didn't you do it while I was out?" I asked

"Because I didn't want to take a shower and get dressed until you got home. And now it's too late. It will be dark by the time I'm finished."

That makes no sense! I hear you saying. OK, this is why it makes perfect sense to my husband:

1. I always take a shower after my workout at the the gym.
2. We always squeegee the shower stall afterward, but DH won't do it himself. (He's tall, heavy and out of shape with a bad heart, and it's awkward for him to bend over.)
3. Because of the above, I always have to take my shower right after his so I can squeegee while the tile is still wet.
4. Therefore, he can't possibly take a shower until I'm home. Got it?

I swept the leaves off the deck -- which took all of two minutes -- but I have been feeling very bent out of shape ever since. Thank you for listening to my rant, I really needed to get that off my chest.
I understand your rant, Bayarea4, and I can imagine your DH's stress with having a bad heart that keeps him out of shape. Maybe it feels more like better times for him if he can tell you what to do now and then. Easy for me to say, eh? I read between the lines that you take very good care of him!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,825,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
WAH!!! Hubby and I have to get up at 3AM to leave for the hospital by 4:15. He will have no trouble sleeping for a few hours, but I am not a good sleeper and will probably just toss and turn until it is time to get up.
Here is how today went (excerpts from an email sent to my best friend)...

Today was the reconstructive surgery, round 1. I got up at 3AM and Hubby got up at 3:45 so we could leave by 4:15 to check in before the crowd. We did valet parking as it is closest to the section of the hospital where they do surgery. Everything went fine—only around 3 hours for anesthesia, procedure, and post anesthesia recovery.

When they called me back into the recovery room he was still pretty loopy. The dr. came in and Hubby tells him “I’m in a hospital bed!” He replies “I know” LOL. Then the nurse comes in and tells me he has two prescriptions to be filled. “Do you want to take them with you or I can fax them to the hospital pharmacy?” I chose hospital pharmacy as that way we don’t have to stop on the way home. I went off to walk the freaking ½ mile to the hospital pharmacy, got there, and then sat for an hour. I finally went to the counter to ask and they said they had no prescriptions. *Grumble, grumble* Walked back across the world to the PACU unit and told the nurse there were no prescriptions there. She looks at them and says “oh, oops—they were sent electronically to your Walgreen’s. Okie doke.

Patient transport is called and they come and get Hubby in a wheelchair and we walk down to the valet area. The car arrives, the transport dude gets Hubby into the car, and I wonder why the valet lady is leaning into the car with her head down underneath the steering wheel!?!?! She looks up and says “Oh, I lost your keys”. WTF?!?!?! She had set them on the console and when she started off they flew off the console somewhere and she could not find them. Ok, whatever, they are in the car somewhere which means I can drive home. The fact that my house key was on my key chain had not yet occurred to me.

At one point on the way home the car in front of us in the left turn lane skipped his left turn and drove directly into oncoming traffic and a metro train. I don’t know what happened there, but there was no way for him to swerve out of the way as there was a barrier between the two sides of the street. Whoops!

So, we stop at Walgreen’s near home and they have only one Rx for antibiotic, but it isn’t filled because it came in with a pain meds Rx which can’t be submitted electronically so they were both deleted. Not to worry, we can fill that in 15 min. But, what about the pain meds??? Mam, you will have to call the Dr. GAH!?!?! Kroger happens to be across the street so I head over there to pick up a few items, including wine, while we wait for the Rx. I got back to the car and looked for the phone number to call the doctor while Hubby is telling me he just peed in the hedge surrounding the parking lot and I’m getting a text message from Walgreen’s that our Rx is ready. Just as we are arriving home the doctor’s triage nurse called me back to say the Rx has been phoned in. At least I got in one glass of wine before heading back out to the pharmacy! I think I will turn in early tonight.

So, how was your day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics